AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 my kundalini experience, short and sweet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapu

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  03:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Well, it wasn't anything like some of the scary kundalini stories that I've read about.

But here it was:

I'd just completed 30 seconds of Ustrasana (camel pose).

I was kneeling on the floor, resting. Suddenly I felt something rise from the bottom of my spine. I really did feel a thing just like a snake. It was a very, very STRONG snake, and it felt as thick as my arm maybe. It's body was rounder though than my arm, and more flexible, and STRONGER. Like the body of a python maybe. If I'd never before heard of Kundalini, I still would definitely describe it as a snake! It even moved like a snake, from side to side.

It moved up in quick short bursts, with what felt like tremendous force, veering to one side of my spine and then to the other as it moved up. It went up only so far, and then suddenly it stopped for maybe a second or two, as if something (a chakra) in my body had stopped it. Then I felt the snake pushing. It pushed so hard that it's head was vibrating. It was vibrating really hard, and then suddenly it felt as if it had burst through, and it went on up a little ways further, veering to the other side of my spine, where it suddenly stopped again and pushed some more. It broke through again.

I felt it go up as far as my neck. I don't really remember feeling it go any further. Perhaps it did and I forgot. This happened about 17 or 18 years ago. But I'll never forget the feeling of it going up my back. I've never felt anything like that before or since. I knew immediately that it had to be Kundalini. It couldn't have been anything else.

The entire episode lasted less than 10 seconds.

Whatever changes came about in my spiritual development were maybe too subtle for me to pick up. I really didn't notice anything at the time. I'm still doing my asanas, and I'm a little more advanced in those, but nothing spectacular. I don't currently have a regular pranayama or meditation practice.

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hapu
Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like a really nice experience. It would seem, from what you say, that AYP could be nice way for you to go. Have you started reading the Main Lessons yet?

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about that, hapu. Could've been something physical. But no big deal either way, it's all part of a long haul (e.g. kundalini opening isn't an arrival point...there are no arrival points, just a melting into What Is). But in any case, it would be prudent, if you continue asana practice, to add AYP-style pranayama, because it if was kundalini and it was veering around, pranayama will help establish a straight-up-the-middle pathway, and that pathway is essential to prevent problematic side effects. If you practice pranayama, though, you definitely should add meditation as well, as one without the other can be unbalancing.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Oct 24 2007 10:18:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapu

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

Thank you for your welcome. Yes it was a really nice experience, and I'm glad that came across in my post. It was not uncomfortable at all. It was awakening at least in the sense that it was an extremely dynamic experience while it was happening! :)

I haven't starting reading any AYP yet. I don't know anything about AYP actually. I came to this site rather accidentally last night and saw the Kundalini topic. I didn't know what AYP meant or that there was this system until you mentioned it in your post.

I'm not sure that I'm ready for AYP at the present, but on the other hand, I seem to be at a kind of crossroads presently, looking for something to remotivate me. I'm not sad or depressed or anything, but the drive to strive and thrive seems to have somehow left me. That's worried me a little, but maybe I should view it in a positive light and go for it spiritually. My material needs are fairly well met, as long as I continue to work just a little. So yes, I'll consider it. Thanks again.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for pointing out that Kundalini is not an arrival point. That's definitely true in my case! :)

To be a little more clear, the snake did veer, but not at all aimlessly. It went straight for just one point each time, and that's where it pushed until it pierced through. It only changed direction slightly each time as it pierced through. The sensation of it piercing through was VERY strong, yet totally painless. I felt no fear of it at all.

In due consideration of your point though, perhaps my chakras need straightening! :) Or perhaps that's part of what the snake was doing. Whatever the case, I'm sure pranayama and meditation could help.

Yes, I would like to do pranayama. I have in the past. Maybe now is the time for me to begin again.

I've never heard that pranayama without meditation can be unbalancing. Why is that? I thought one step at a time was OK. Is that part of the AYT lessons?

Thank you both again for your replies. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  9:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hapu, check out the AYP lessons (via header links). Yogani explains it all much better than I could, and the good news is that this "dance" of meditation and pranayama is explained pretty early on. Give it a read, this is an auspicious time for it! :)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  12:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hapu,

That sounds to me like pretty clasic kundalini stuff. It is described in the liteature as the kundalini prana moving from it’s base near the perrineum and up through either the ida or pingala nadis. These are two channels that run either side of the central sushumna channel. They interweave the central channel in a spiralling motion, crossing the central channel at each chakra. By the sound of it, the kundalini only entered one of these channels (either the ida or pingala) which is why it felt like a snake moving up your body. It sounds like it stopped at your throat chakra (vishudi).

At the bottom of this page
http://www.hehishelo.co.uk/chakra.htm
is a diagram showing in 2 d how they work and why it felt like a snake.

The fact that it happened at all, especially after only asana practice, is a sign that you are a spiritually advanced being. You should not waste a minute, but should take up advanced spiritual practices right away. This life is extremely prescious and every day is vital now. Focus your mind on the divine and with singlepointed devotion work diligently to bring yourself closer every day to your Higher Self.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

hapu

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  02:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for your encouragement!

And thanks also for posting the information and diagrams.

Yes, the diagram and what you say about the kundalini entering either the ida or pingala makes total sense to me.

For a while after that experience, I was worried that the kundalini would sink back down again, because I didn't feel that I was living up to the potential of it.

Whether or not that's happened, I'll try to take your advice and work harder to develop spiritually. It really has to be a priority, and I totally appreciate your reminder! It came at a good time. :)

-Hapu

(PS: I sent you an email)
Go to Top of Page

Andy_W

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  07:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andy_W's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Reminds me of an experience I had about twenty years ago. I was doing a fair bit of meditation at the time.

It started with an itching sensation in the center of my forehead I was with friends and went off to the bathroom because I felt strange. Then it really started alternating between hysterical laughter and then tears and loss of bodily control. I layed on a bed for 8 hours going through various phases. I could feel a large powerful force pushing through the centre of my body from the base up, it was uncomfortable and made me writhe around. My freinds were pretty concerned about me but the witness part of me knew I was just fine and I tried to reasure them, at times it was like watching myself as I would have ben crying in a cot as a baby, If that makes sense. Eight hours later I was exhausted and it had settled down

At the time Id say I was pretty balanced and happy and here I was acting like there was something really wrong with me. Id read about kundalini and rationalised that I was throwing off lots of stored stress, I really had no control over it.

Just thought Id share that. Im still on a spiritual path and really enyoy the AYP teachings

Best wishes

Andy

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  09:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andy, and hapu too,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience of kundalini! I recognize very much the massive "automatic" reactions and the inner witness part inside that just says "Everything is fine, just stay with it, allow it."

Thank you for posting!

Edited by - emc on Nov 16 2007 09:40:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000