Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Noob help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. I just started meditating about a week ago. I´ve found all the info on the internet. The first two times I used music and was lying down, but then I found AYP. So, the third time I use the tips found in the "Main Lessons".

I used the "I AM"-mantra for about ten minutes and then changed into another one I´ve heard of. After just a minute or so I fell deep and I mean DEEP within. The silence and the grace was unbelievable, but it came almost like a chock to me, like I could´t handle it, and I pulled myself back into "normal consciousness"...

Ever since then I´ve not been able to go that deep again, though I know I´ve been on the way a couple of times. Mostly because of distracting sounds I believe.

I´ve been told by my foot reflexologist (what´s it called in english?) that I have quite strong energies inside me and around me. And he´s told me that I should try medtitation. I´ve been trying to reach him recently to talk about my experiences but he´s currently out of town.

Just wondering what you "advanced" meditators would have to say about all this. I love to practice on my meditation and feel that it will most likely be worth it.

/johan

Edited by - windh on Sep 11 2007 08:19:49 AM

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Johan,

You do have the capacity to go deep, but it looks pretty much like you overdid by combining all that. This is what happened to me when I switched to AYP from another system. I was clinging on to bits of the old, and I had very deep and beautiful experiences... and then WHAM, I didn't know what hit me. I've found mixing in other things not a good idea. Most definitely.

Please don't underestimate the power of these practices. Go step by step from scratch, and you will surely find yourself.
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sadhak

Hi Johan,

You do have the capacity to go deep, but it looks pretty much like you overdid by combining all that. This is what happened to me when I switched to AYP from another system. I was clinging on to bits of the old, and I had very deep and beautiful experiences... and then WHAM, I didn't know what hit me. I've found mixing in other things not a good idea. Most definitely.

Please don't underestimate the power of these practices. Go step by step from scratch, and you will surely find yourself.

Ok sadhak, thanx for your words. What happened after "WHAM"? Did you lose ability to go deep for a while?

I most certainly do not underestimate the powers of meditiation. Especially not after my first deep dive.

/johan

Edited by - windh on Sep 11 2007 08:56:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  12:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Johan,

You are fortunate for having a deep experience so early in your meditation practice but please keep the following in mind.

Most would suggest following the ayp method exclusively, especially with regards to the meditation. Mixing sutras or other meditative techniques seems to be less efficient over time despite your initial experience. More importantly, the ayp techniques are quite powerful, much more so then maybe new yogis are inclined to believe. Make no mistake about it, if you follow the methods from scratch and add additional practices, i.e, spinal breathing, pranayama, etc..... as advised, you will most likely be amazed by the transformation in your consciousness.

It is also very important to proceed from the understanding that the spiritual race is a marathon for the majority. Mixing techniques or practicing in spurts might yield fruits initially but can't hold a candle to disciplined practice over the weeks, months, and years.

Also, experiences are great for evidence but focusing on them can be a real hindrance. I have been practicing the meditation technique for about 5 months solid and can tell you that you will have plently of sessions that can seem like a step backwards (lots of thoughts, difficulty finding the sutra, etc....), some that you swear that nothing happened in, and others that seem deeper (usually breath will markedly slow down with the latter). The point is that all of the sessions are doing the same thing, which is purifying your nervous system and thus don't think that the only good sessions are the deep ones. The true indication of progress is how you feel in your daily life and relationships.

I would humbly suggest you read the lessons from scratch, start a disciplined practice, enjoy the "scenery" (experiences during meditation) but remember the practice is what is going to take you to the promised land!!

Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  02:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eitherway

Hi Johan,

You are fortunate for having a deep experience so early in your meditation practice but please keep the following in mind.

Most would suggest following the ayp method exclusively, especially with regards to the meditation. Mixing sutras or other meditative techniques seems to be less efficient over time despite your initial experience. More importantly, the ayp techniques are quite powerful, much more so then maybe new yogis are inclined to believe. Make no mistake about it, if you follow the methods from scratch and add additional practices, i.e, spinal breathing, pranayama, etc..... as advised, you will most likely be amazed by the transformation in your consciousness.

It is also very important to proceed from the understanding that the spiritual race is a marathon for the majority. Mixing techniques or practicing in spurts might yield fruits initially but can't hold a candle to disciplined practice over the weeks, months, and years.

Also, experiences are great for evidence but focusing on them can be a real hindrance. I have been practicing the meditation technique for about 5 months solid and can tell you that you will have plently of sessions that can seem like a step backwards (lots of thoughts, difficulty finding the sutra, etc....), some that you swear that nothing happened in, and others that seem deeper (usually breath will markedly slow down with the latter). The point is that all of the sessions are doing the same thing, which is purifying your nervous system and thus don't think that the only good sessions are the deep ones. The true indication of progress is how you feel in your daily life and relationships.

I would humbly suggest you read the lessons from scratch, start a disciplined practice, enjoy the "scenery" (experiences during meditation) but remember the practice is what is going to take you to the promised land!!

Hi.

Thank you very much for your kind post. It sure made me feel better. Yesterday I had a "bad" session, with nothing much happening and lots of distracting thoughts. I meant to write and ask about this here today, but you gave me the answers I was looking for. And the main thing to know, that you just told me, is that it´s important to continue, even days like yesterday, when it seems "bad" but really isn´t.

Just wondering another thing: Is it OK to use another mantra than the "I AM" as recommended here? I did so when I had my deep-dive, and that´s when it worked, so I guess it can´t be that bad.

Thank you!

And have a most pleasant day!

Edited by - windh on Sep 12 2007 02:57:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  06:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Johan - What happened after "WHAM"? Did you lose ability to go deep for a while?

Hi Johan,
Yes I did. But I continued to follow instructions and things came to an even keel after a while.

If you go through the lessons carefully, you'll read the reasons for the choice of the 'I am' mantra instead of any other.

There can be an attachment to the experiences during meditation (I went deep, I saw lights, I felt ecstatic, etc) which can become barriers.

When we sit down for meditation, irrespective of whether we have a 'good' or 'bad' (our own judgements... how do we know what ultimately was 'good' or 'not so good' for us) session you just go on from day to day, without giving in to the urge of making drastic changes in order to get a "high". Otherwise we are in danger of looking for an experience...A particular experience, rather than seeing the truth or seeing our real selves.

We just need to let go, and not keep any sort of goals in view while starting to meditate, especially wanting to reproducing 'x' experience during meditation. That is the key. So don't miss the point that Eitherway made.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

21 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  06:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by windh

Ever since then I´ve not been able to go that deep again, though I know I´ve been on the way a couple of times.

That is because you try to go to this deep state instead of just repeating the mantra. You can not go intentional into "not-doing". You can not do meditation - meditation is "un-doing". That is why you need the mantra - it bypasses your efforts and brings you directly to the deepest base of consciousness. (which is your own self) Do not try to reach this state again, do not try to reach any state - just repeat the mantra easily and effortlessly.
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  07:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Darko

quote:

Ever since then I´ve not been able to go that deep again, though I know I´ve been on the way a couple of times.

That is because you try to go to this deep state instead of just repeating the mantra. You can not go intentional into "not-doing". You can not do meditation - meditation is "un-doing". That is why you need the mantra - it bypasses your efforts and brings you directly to the deepest base of consciousness. (which is your own self) Do not try to reach this state again, do not try to reach any state - just repeat the mantra easily and effortlessly.

Yes, thank you. I understand this now. I know that when it´s just the mantra in your mind, that´s when you can open the "gate" and reach within..

Edited by - windh on Sep 12 2007 08:22:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  09:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Johan,

See if you can get your hands on the "deep meditation" book written by yogani. It is short (only about 100 small pages) and offers great advice on how best to proceed with the practice. If you cannot get the book, just read the lessons on the website, they contain atleast 90% of the same information, although the slim book flows better and you can read it in a couple of hours or during down time in your day. I would be happy to help in any way possible.

I had never dabbled in any serious meditation before starting ayp and I can tell you the techniques presented by Yogani are awesome. I'm willing to bet that if you gave them a solid year, you would be pleasantly surprised by the changes in yourself. Believe me, like Yogani said some time ago, I look forward to my 2x daily practice as if it were a activity that I wouln't want to miss for the world!!!

Good luck!

Edited by - Eitherway on Sep 12 2007 10:33:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eitherway

Hey Johan,

See if you can get your hands on the "deep meditation" book written by yogani. It is short (only about 100 small pages) and offers great advice on how best to proceed with the practice. If you cannot get the book, just read the lessons on the website, they contain atleast 90% of the same information, although the slim book flows better and you can read it in a couple of hours or during down time in your day. I would be happy to help in any way possible.

I had never dabbled in any serious meditation before starting ayp and I can tell you the techniques presented by Yogani are awesome. I'm willing to bet that if you gave them a solid year, you would be pleasantly surprised by the changes in yourself. Believe me, like Yogani said some time ago, I look forward to my 2x daily practice as if it were a activity that I wouln't want to miss for the world!!!

Good luck!

Thank you very much! I´ll try that! yes I understand the "looking forward", I´m starting to get that feeling already!
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  02:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another Q:

If I start to get deep within again, what is the best way to keep track of time? I´ve heard that our biological clock is quite amazing, but does it work when in meditation?

I mean, since I haven´t been deep a long time, and without letting go completely, I do not understand how my own will works when down there.. Can I snap out of it whenever I want and check the time as it closes in, or do I need an egg-timer to snap me out of it?

Thank you,

/johan

Edited by - windh on Sep 13 2007 03:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  04:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Johan!

Nice to see a country fellow here!

In the beginning it is simple to just take a quick glimpse at the clock now and then to check the time. You will soon get the inner clock to accomodate to 20 min of deep meditation, and then you can completely let go and trust stillness will get you out of it in time. If it on an occation would go on for a longer time, there's no harm. Just rest a bit longer than ususal. Then go back to take glimpses at the clock the next session or just lay out the intention very clearly before you start: "Please, alert me after 20 minutes!" Intentions or "prayers" like that are often very powerful.

From the bottom of my heart, I welcome you to this forum and am truly happy to hear about your deep experiences!

Love, emc

Edited by - emc on Sep 13 2007 2:56:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Hi, Johan!

Nice to see a country fellow here!

In the beginning it is simple to just take a quick glimpse at the clock now and then to check the time. You will soon get the inner clock to accomodate to 20 min of deep meditation, and then you can completely let go and trust stillness will get you out of it in time. If it on an occation would go on for a longer time, there's no harm. Just rest a bit longer than ususal. Then go back to take glimpses at the clock the next session or just lay out the intention very clearly before you start: "Please, alert me after 20 minutes!" Intentions or "prayers" like that is often very powerful.

From the bottom of my heart, I welcome you to this forum and am truly happy to hear about your deep experiences!

Love, emc

Hi emc!

Ja vad skoj att det finns fler svenskar här!

Thank you for your advice and your kind post!

/Johan
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally find that practising non-attachment during the day deepens the meditation. It is an important practice mentioned in Patanjali's yoga sutras.
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  05:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alright.. I´ve been going back and forth in my meditiation practising. I´ve not had the "strength" to do it every day, and I guess, that´s why I´m having trouble to reach within.

I have not once, since the first time as described in the original post, been able to go reall deep inside.

And recently I´ve had big trouble just to concentrate at all...

Any thoughts on this?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  06:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Something to remember, windh...

Going deep can be a huge distraction from your practice.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Just wondering what you "advanced" meditators would have to say about all this.

A note of clarification: In the title, Advanced Yoga Practices, "advanced" refers to the practices, not level of attainment of the meditators doing those practices. This is an open forum, and anyone can participate, wise and not so wise. Reader beware.

Advanced Yoga Practices are for everyone, beginners welcome.
Go to Top of Page

windh

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  04:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Something to remember, windh...

Going deep can be a huge distraction from your practice.

Can you explain that further, please?
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Johan,

There's no single meditation session that is similar to another. They are all different. It's not a straight line where you start from very distracted, mindy and restless sessions toward deeper and deeper sessions. That very idea is a hindrance. It brings hopes and disappointments. The experiences during meditation will shift very much from time to time. Sometimes longer periods of depth, sometimes longer periods of restlessness. That is ok. That is fine. It is still effective and functional. If you just keep your practices twice daily, inner stillness will slowly, in its own way, take more place in you and have increased effect in your daily life.

If the restlessness is there during the day also, along with irritation or emotional disturbance that you are not used to, it might be a sign that you should do some grounding and self-pacing.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Windh,

Emc said it succinctly. If you're trying to go deep, it's a distraction from the actual practice of favoring the mantra. Even if you stop having cool experiences altogether, you should still go with the practice and not seek out anything else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000