Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Goal Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was thinking about how Samyama might work and i was wondering whether or not it would be good for making goals for yourself.

Just repeat the goal that you want over a couple of times like in samyama. Instead of struggling to visualize it and giving yourself a headach.

Peace

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  12:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie:

Good question -- one we have all pondered at some point on our path.

Actually, the process of "goal samyama" you describe becomes automatic in everyday living with daily structured samyama practice over time, as discussed in the online lessons and Samyama book. The book covers much more than the online lessons, adding cosmic samyama (similar to yoga nidra -- self-directed), as well as the use of samyama with asanas, prayer and in daily activity. Our primary samyama session during sitting practices increases our ability to manifest intentions over all as we go about our life, reducing our expectations while expanding the divine flow coming through us.

The truth about samyama (and divine life) is that, while we may wish for a specific thing, doing samyama on that thing will give us what we need in relation to that desire, which may or may not be the thing itself. Surrender to divine inner silence within, the essential characteristic of samyama in relation to our intentions/desires, has its own dynamic. The end result is a life filled with joy and miracles small and large.

Remember, daily samyama practice is for opening up our natural ability to live our life as "stillness in action," which ultimately is known to be a constant outpouring of divine love.

It is not advised to do samyama on a particular desire while excluding the much broader scope of samyama practice discussed in the AYP writings mentioned above. We are not primarily interested in catching one fish for today. We'd like to develop the ability to catch all fish for all time. Then we will never be hungry.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  4:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yogani wrote:

The truth about samyama (and divine life) is that, while we may wish for a specific thing, doing samyama on that thing will give us what we need in relation to that desire, which may or may not be the thing itself.

I have found this to be so true.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks yogani.

i have the samyama book but i've only ready a little bit of it. i think i need to develop more of a quiet mind before i start doing samyama seriosuly. it looks like i'm getting close to that though.

but do you think it's a good idea to have goals in general? i mean i see your point on not doing samyama on goals directly but what about just having goals just to work towards something?

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  5:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie33

...do you think it's a good idea to have goals in general? i mean i see your point on not doing samyama on goals directly but what about just having goals just to work towards something?

Hi Eddie:

Absolutely. Pursue your dreams with all your heart for all your life, and keep up daily practices for years, and years, and years. Then you will not miss on either front. They are one and the same.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000