Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Sound of silence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I don't find much silence coming out of my practices. However, after meditation I may find some calmness, often together with a high-pitched noise. Not high like tinnitus, but high-pitched. Is that some kind of sound of silence with beginning silence coming up?

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  1:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

Yes, a high pitched ringing sound, is one of the sounds that can arise as we begin to enter inner silence. Ironically, inner silence can actually be surprisingly noisy! This high pitch sound can sometimes have several different notes to it and even different octaves. It can also pulsate, like crickets chirping in a field, when they synchronise with each other. It can also get louder in spiritual places such as churches, temples and mosques.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  2:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Christi! Is it beneficial to focus on that noise during the day in order to induce silence?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and no. Silence is not induced, silence is present always, everywhere. The sound of silence is a reminder that silence is always present. You probably notice the sound now and then during the day, and you are aware that it becomes stronger and clearer when your attention turns to it.

You put practice your meditation in a specific place, you will notice that the sound is stronger and clearer around it - and another meditator will recognize that, too.

Continue with your practice. Much more is to come.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  8:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mats, That was one of the first signs I had of progress on this path. Years ago I would notice that high pitched sound whenever I had a deep meditation or moments of awe. With my dedicated AYP practice it has become more a regular feature. I have also found the silence now draws the ecstatic energies and vice versa. As Blanche said, "much more to come". Having said that, it really is a byproduct of the practices and not something to focus on too much. When I notice it, it reminds me to be present or of the present. Yogani comments on this in some of his lessons, emphasizing focusing on the practices and not using the noise as a point of focus in meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2023 :  4:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, my friends!

quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

When I notice it, it reminds me to be present or of the present.

That is nicely said and something I thought about. I would like to use it in that way.

Also, does it make sense to focus on it during that gap between SBP and DM or during your rest? I think it could be used nicely that way.
Go to Top of Page

Mithuna

France
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2023 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The manifestation of sound of is one of the siddhis mentioned by Patanjali in the Vibhutipada in 3.41. "Meditation (samyama) on the relationship between space and the power of hearing engenders the divine power of hearing."
If in Nada Yoga and certain forms of Kundalini Yoga it is sought as a form of specific Sadhana, Yogani does not favor this path by considering it as interpaul emphasizes as a phenomenon, a consequence of our practices which can be a benchmark and not an end in itself.
More precisely it is linked to the awakening of Vishuda, and is regulated in the AYP by the practice of Jalandhara when we exhale. Dynamic Breathing in the spine as taught by Yogani with the addition of bandhas and mudras has the great advantage of avoiding any stasis in shushumna, with the emphasis on self-pacing.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2023 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mats

Thanks, my friends!

quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

When I notice it, it reminds me to be present or of the present.

That is nicely said and something I thought about. I would like to use it in that way.

Also, does it make sense to focus on it during that gap between SBP and DM or during your rest? I think it could be used nicely that way.

Hi Mats,

If you add additional practices to your AYP routine, then you are moving off the AYP baseline practice. When people do that, we cannot predict the results of practice over the long term, which could be anything. So, it would be your own experiment.

It is not advisable to be adding additional spiritual practices to the AYP baseline, unless you have developed a consistent long-term practice, are currently stable with your existing routine and are able to perceive the movements of energies within the body.

During rest, in AYP practice, the attention is not placed in any deliberate place in the body, or outside the body, or with any specific object. It is simply a time for rest. Placing the attention deliberately in some place, or with some object would be adding an additional practice whilst removing the rest period, which is for balancing, and again, the results could not be predicted over the long term.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2023 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

As you see, it is a good idea to continue with the AYP practices as you have done until now - this is how you got here. If you plan to experiment with this sound, do it outside the AYP practice. Keep in mind that it is a powerful practice that you add to a set of powerful AYP practices. There is a real possibility of overload. Consistency seems to be key to prevent overload: it seems that going on and off practices, and changing the length and intensity of practice are associated with overload. Overload could make the spiritual journey uncomfortable, and some stop practices all together.

Now you are warned so you can make a more informed decision.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2023 :  10:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

thanks for your advice everybody. It is good to read. I wouldn't have thought of that (focusing on the high-pitched noise) to be a spiritual practice at all. I will refrain from doing so, now.

I started doing it because I thought of it be good during rest. Rest should be rest and relaxing. I tend to get absorbed in everyday thoughts again when lying in rest. Is it rest, then? What is the difference then between lying in rest being absorbed in thoughts and getting up again, being absorbed in thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2023 :  06:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

Rest is simply rest. Of course, things could happen during your rest period. There could be thoughts, or feelings, or a bird singing outside of your window, or the sound of silence could be present. But the important word is "could". These things may happen, or may not, and it is all a part of the rest period. The key thing is that we are not deliberately making things happen, or not happen.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2023 :  10:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I often realize getting absorbed in worry or sorrows during rest, not counting it as good rest then. Seems I was mistaken.

Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  9:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Btw. when I was a kid, I was able to focus on this sound very intensely. I would stop breathing and there was nothing else but this inner sound, which would become extremely loud to a point I couldn't bear anymore. Then I would start breathing again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000