Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  07:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
We have deducted that memory is stored in the mind. Our personal, "local" memory plus the amalgamation of every individual memory that has ever lived into a "cosmic" memory.
Memory gives us an illusion that we are traveling through time. We remember being a child and our growth through the years to the point we are now. Upon closer examination and personal experience we agree that time is an illusion and that we only ever experience an eternal NOW, the present moment. We can recall past events and imagine future events only in the present moment.
I can understand that recalling past events is done through accessing some storage space in mind (I will not talk about the physical brain) - these events determined by our individual and/or collective Will have already happened. However, looking "forward" to the future, I remain mystified. Future events are also determined by our personal and collective choices and hence should still be fluid.
Now we look seers who foretell events in the "future" (considering no time), admittedly I have my doubts about their predictions ,
what are they accessing? There is the theory that both the past and future already exist now. Past events have been manifested and is stored as memories. Future events must surely exist in the potential state of becoming and is yet to manifest.

Anyone care to throw in two cents?

Sey

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  1:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

Books have been written on this subject, so it is a good idea to be succinct. Here are some things that come to mind:

-Memories are stored in the entire being, in all our layers. I have been trained as a psychologist and then as a yoga teacher. The way people look, talk, move, stand, and so on expresses their experience and their memory - and often memories not fully "digested." Releasing tensions in the physical body, emotions, and/or mind triggers memories. Everything is woven together, including our memories, and we are more a hologram than a robot with a mind computer.

-We record virtually everything, but we lose track of our memories - we forget. It is like everything that happens is stored in a library, but we do not remember where the memories are in our library, and thus we cannot access them.

-Through yoga practices we gradually remember more and more, and possibly we may remember everything, or at least we gain access to everything. Remembering is healing.

-Seeing our true nature is not a new spectacular experience. Seeing our true nature is a remembering of something we always knew deep inside.

-As we gradually clear our personal baggage, we start to access more and more of the collective memory. This has implications for the collective karma and spiritual transformation. Eventually everything becomes available potentially, the entire memory of the universe and beyond, the akasha library.

-As timeless beings, we access both the past and the future. We remember the past and we also "remember" somewhat the future. Our memories are distorted by mental obstructions, so what we see of the future and our interpretation of what we see is done through the lens of personal experience. Even when we see well into the future, misinterpretation is possible. For example, a spiritual teacher encouraged a young man to study to be a "doctor."? After years of medical training, the man got his doctoral degree in Asian studies. The teacher saw that the man was destined to be a "doctor", and quite a famous one, and he interpreted "doctor" as "medical doctor," when in fact it was "academic doctor."

-Considering that the coloring of our thoughts conditions how we access the past and the future and interpret what we see, your skepticism for easy "readings of your future" makes sense. Probably you could do a better "reading" for them.

Edited by - Blanche on Sep 12 2023 12:53:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  9:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, An interesting topic. I did my "honor's thesis" in memory when I was in college years ago. There have been many developments in neuroscience since those days. I agree with much of your framing regarding time being a construct and all of our life being lived in the NOW. That being said, the hippocampus and other structures have evolved to store memories. The biggest take away from recent developments is the unreliability of memory. It isn't like a video and is distorted with each recall. With respect to the future and a cosmic memory, you are venturing into territory science is agnostic. It is easy to deceive ourselves into all sorts of convoluted beliefs based on energetic states, magical thinking and feeling "special" from doing "special practices". Most of the seers of the past have been shown to be charlatans. Over the last few years since doing AYP practices my view on this has softened. I do believe there are many phenomenon that are experientially real and hard to verify by the current scientific reductionistic models.

What interests me most about your post is the unstated question or sharing you are considering. Have you had clairvoyant experiences?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2023 :  04:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
As we gradually clear our personal baggage, we start to access more and more of the collective memory, This has implications for the collective karma and spiritual transformation. Eventually everything becomes available potentially, the entire memory of the universe and beyond, the akasha library.

Sign me up
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2023 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy , may the Akasha managers consider our application

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

What interests me most about your post is the unstated question or sharing you are considering. Have you had clairvoyant experiences?

Dear Interpaul,
No, I would not say that I have had clairvoyant experiences (visions) or rather, I have had plenty of visions but nothing I could ever make sense of. However, I would often have "knowings" - I would know something, often unable to tell when exactly (in time) did I start knowing this piece of information.
For example, upon reading the newspaper, I would come across an article about something I already know. And I would be, but didn't this happen last week? A person can walk into my office and I would know exactly what s/he is about to say (e.g. my wife is pregnant, my granny passed away)

@Blanche - thank you for putting more meat to the bones. My question is what do we truly know for real and what is lore spread by previous masters from their personal colouring of experiences in some mystical state, often enhanced by followers after their death, who want to claim more for their Gurus than what actually happened?

Sey

Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2023 :  4:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Sey! So nice to share your thoughts again!

I think the events of the past resulted (I won't say "were caused:" I'm an engineer, but do not believe determinism is a useful way to think about most things) from the total set of influences present at and leading up to a point in time. Until that time each of the uncountable influences had a probabilistic path, which we did not fully understand, I believe.

When we think about the future and try to noodle out "what will happen?" I think the best I can do, since I know some physical and less-physical sciences, is to identify some possibilities which can't happen (some of physics ARE laws IMHO), shouldn't (Naw, nobody would try THAT!), or are at least less likely than others. As I grow older, perhaps my greater experience and perhaps growing ability to think abstractly helps me to envision what might happen and perhaps to see how such might not happen or what might prevent it. Maybe my ability to filter out what is not possible has become nore acute, but as well I think I have more ability to see a broader set of possibilities.

I find myself a little less surprised by what actually happens. I think meditation has helped me broaden and to connect things together.
Go to Top of Page

mountainrange

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2023 :  6:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I think that everything is "stored" in Consciousness, the Being that we are, as unmanifested potentialities. Even memories (past/and maybe even future ones). Maybe the brain is more of a receiver of these memories, than actually storing them physically? After a whole life time, there's a whole lot of memories to store in the braincells (or where they are supposed to be stored). Might have to upgraid the brain with a bigger hard drive for every memory to fit in there, when you get older.. Jokes aside.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2023 :  11:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like this take
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000