Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pressure in the face
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seekingknowledge

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  01:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing strong pressure in my forehead/upper nose region for the last 3-4 meditation sessions. Usually I ignore the pressure sensation but it seems to be getting stronger. It feels like somebody’s grabbing onto my nose (sounds strange I know) or the inside region of my face. The pressure moves around a bit and seems to increase as the breath slows down or as my concentration increases over the course of a meditation session. I don’t experience ecstasy or bliss. The pressure usually dissipates after the session.

Background - I have meditated on one solo meditation retreat lasting 3.5 months in the past and have only recently taken up yogani’s deep meditation and pranayama practice about 10 days ago. I’m not completely unfamiliar with this kind of pressure from my previous meditation sessions but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it as well. I would mostly ignore it and keep going ahead.

Edited by - seekingknowledge on Aug 27 2023 02:31:08 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seekingknowledge,

This is one of the classic symptoms associated with the activation of the ajna chakra/ third eye. It is nothing to be concerned about. If it becomes so strong that it becomes uncomfortable, or painful, you can always self-pace your practice downwards for a while, until things smoothe out.

See this YouTube video that I recorded a while back for more details on what to do if it becomes painful:

How to Manage a Painful Kundalini Awakening

Christi
Go to Top of Page

seekingknowledge

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  10:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing, Christi. That video was helpful. I'll use the methods discussed in the video or back off from meditating entirely for a few days if the pressure becomes uncomfortable.
Go to Top of Page

seekingknowledge

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2023 :  02:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, at this point I’ve tried those suggestions - self pacing, walking, heavier foods. I also stopped meditating for 4 days but I still have long periods in the day where this pressure builds up. And now it seems to be spreading to other parts of my head and the upper teeth/gums, cheekbones etc. Not sure what I should do or if I did something incorrectly even though spinal breathing pranayama and deep meditation have straightforward instructions.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2023 :  04:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Seeking

Head pressure is only bad if there is discomfort, or becomes uncomfortable over time. As Christi says it is a sign of opening, of purification, a notification your practices are moving things along. AYP are powerful practices, so the fact your body was already purifying when you began, it is no wonder it took only ten days for you. As you mentioned, it dissipates soon after our attention is no longer inside. Because these practices are simple yet powerful, an intention to keep things stable is a daily ritual, I ground myself in various ways throughout the day which has made a big difference here. If you feel good and stable, keep going. If head pressure does not dissipate, or you become uneasy, slow things down.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

seekingknowledge

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2023 :  05:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy,

Thanks! The pressure is not uncomfortable for the most part. It ebbs and flows, strengthens and weakens. I find it intriguing so I often spend some time following its slow undulations as if they were gently moving waves in an ocean. It's present even as I write this post and has been going on for the last few hours even though I haven't meditated in 4 days.

I guess I was not expecting something like this to come up so early, and consistently, in and outside of my practice. This has definitely strengthened my faith in Yogani's instructions. At the same time I am cognizant that I'm still pretty early into my practice and I don't want to delude myself or make unnecessary assumptions about my progress.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2023 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seekingknowledge,

There is a "flywheel effect" that comes into play when we do spiritual practices. This is similar to the flywheel on a car engine that keeps the engine spinning for a while, even if you shut off the fuel supply. So, the same thing can happen, and the flywheel effect can last for surprisingly long amounts of time, like days, or even weeks in some cases. This is one reason why it is good to be prudent when self-pacing, acting more on the side of caution, rather than trying to push the envelope.

As Dogboy says, there is only any need to adjust your practice if anything is happening that is uncomfortable or painful. If you do need to self-pace your practices downwards, then it would be good to avoid following the flows of energy in your body, as this is a spiritual practice and will tend to make symptoms worse rather than better.

And yes, it is not possible to say when the awakening of kundalini will happen for any individual. It can start in a few days, or even a few hours, whilst for others it can take years, or even decades. It all depends on the individual person's unique matrix of obstructions and on how dedicated they are to the spiritual path.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2023 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seekingknowledge,

One thing that you could try is sambhavi mudra, bringing the gaze toward the space between the eyebrows with a gentle furrow. This should redirect the energy toward the third eye (ajna), for a better flow and less tension in the face. Sometimes it is enough to practice this a couple of times, and then the eyes automatically start to look toward the space between the eyebrows.

However, if you find sambhavi difficult and unhelpful, let it go - you may need a little more time to go there.

Best wishes for your practice.
Go to Top of Page

seekingknowledge

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi -

I’ve reduced the number of meditation sits down to 0/1 per day and the pressure seems to have become a lot more manageable. Im also not paying much attention to it now as I was earlier.

Blanche -

Yes the Shambhavi mudra does seem to move the sensations/pressure closer to the third eye area. I can feel the pressure concentrate around that area quickly. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000