Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Head bending backwards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

bsv

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2022 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

First of all I would like to say that I am happy that I found AYP a few months ago. Very inspiring teachings! I went to a 10 day vipassana course during the summer and experienced tremendous purifications going on. Afterwards I expereienced an incredible stillness and clearity - which turned on my bhakti.

I have been practicing Asanas, SPB, DM and Samayama for about 2-3 months now. I really enjoy it. A few weeks ago I introduced chin pump. I don't know if it's related to the chin pump, but lately I have been experiencing a strong desire from my internal energy bend the head and neck backwards during SPB, DM and samyama. Before this bending backwards tendency I experenced more of random head movements / swaying / rotations during DM and samyama.

I wonder if anoyne else have experienced the same backward bending tendency of the neck and could shed some light on this? What is going on? I have found out that there is a mudra called akashi mudra, in which the neck and head is bent backwards. The mudra is supposed to open up the throat / vishuddi chakra. Could it be that I have some blockages in the throat chakra, and that the practices I'm doing induces an energy flow that's currently working on obstacles in the throat area?

I'm grateful to hear thoughts from people who have ha similiar experiences, or other wise words on this :)

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2022 :  10:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bsv, Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are enjoying the practices. It sounds like you are experiencing automatic yoga. These are normal but may be due to a lot of purification going on. You've taken on quite a large number of practices in such a short time. If you review Yogani's teachings you will see his recommendation to proceed slowly. Often he recommends doing DM only for the first few months before adding on any other practices. I would suggest backing off on adding more practices and consider dropping the chin pumps till things stabilize. If you push, you may experience more irritability or kundalini overload symptoms. As Yogani often says, Rome isn't built in a day so take your time and enjoy the journey.
Go to Top of Page

Drystone

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2023 :  5:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I’ve had similar. First it was the head turning side to side, then all the way back (almost as if someone was lifting my chin) then I’ve also had my head being forced slowly into my lap. The way I think about it is the body has some kind of startup programme for this kind of higher spiritual function, much like turning on a new iPhone! Seems like stretching out the spinal nerve is high on the agenda!
Go to Top of Page

Gabereal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  11:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The head tilting backwards is common. Some have said it?s you becoming receptive to grace . Idk. There is also a neck lock that is the exact opposite
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2024 :  03:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My head falls back in DM often, it feels expansive, opening the throat chakra wide, and sometimes, on its own, my tongue pokes out.
Go to Top of Page

Deer

Indonesia
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2024 :  05:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My head pulls back too sometimes after intense practices and it feels like such a release!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000