Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 How much water?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I decided to start another post since this subject is so important, even though it's been written about in a lot of places.
It is my belief that not drinking enough water is a major cause of premature aging and stiffness symptoms, and the cause of many diseases because of allowing the build up of toxins, and not allowing purification.
it is also necessary to drink more water for kundalini rising to help control the "fire".

While 2 liters per day is a good guideline for most people, more in hot weather, each person has to determine what they need. It is also important to take this in little sips spread out all day when possible, not guzzling it all at once.

I do a 2 hour aerobic workout on sundays, and the instructor tonight gave us an excellent guideline to know if you're drinking enough: If your urine is yellow you're not drinking enough. It should be clear.
I don't know where he got this, but it sounds logical, and correlates with my personal tests of how i feel drinking different amounts.

As people have stated in other topics, this is not to be distilled water, or highly filtered unless it has the minerals added back in. Better to just drink water out of the faucet, or if it is horrible, get something like Nestle's "Pure Life" or another that has minerals added back in. i mention that because it's cheap. there are a lot of more expensive alternatives that are good too; Aquafina; Evian. Don't drink a lot of the carbonated ones; too much acid.

Also more is not better. People have died from drinking too much water. The body stores pure water until there is something to flush out. It is built on the assumption that water is not always available. If you drink too much, you will leech out minerals and become bloated.

Some women take diet pills that are diuretic and flush out "water weight", thinking they are losing weight. This isn't good for you. your skin will not look as good. If you want to get rid of water weight, quit eating salt.

A final point is: nothing else but water counts as water. Not coffee, soda, juice, lemonade, nothing. That's another topic, but we've gone over it in other places. The body processes each of these other drinks differently than water, and they don't do much for purification.

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 01 2007 01:01:28 AM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good topic, Ether.

quote:
It is my belief that not drinking enough water is a major cause of premature aging and stiffness symptoms, and the cause of many diseases because of allowing the build up of toxins, and not allowing purification.

I personally believe that drinking too much water can also have negative side effects. Drinking a medium amount is best...too much is unhealthy.

quote:
While 2 liters per day is a good guideline for most people, more in hot weather, each person has to determine what they need. It is also important to take this in little sips spread out all day when possible, not guzzling it all at once.

I've found that when I'm thirsty, it's good to guzzle a bit. If I only sip, it doesn't seem to have the same effect.

quote:
I do a 2 hour aerobic workout on sundays, and the instructor tonight gave us an excellent guideline to know if you're drinking enough: If your urine is yellow you're not drinking enough. It should be clear.

That's kind of a good guideline. Clear generally means you're drinking too much water, in my experience. I say, if it's clear ease off a bit so that you see some yellowness in it...then you're probably at a good level.

This kind of thing takes a lot of trial and error, and noticing the subtle effects. It's taken me about 2 years to understand the correct amount needed for optimum health.

quote:
People have died from drinking too much water. The body stores pure water until there is something to flush out. It is built on the assumption that water is not always available. If you drink too much, you will leech out minerals and become bloated.

I think also if you drink way too much water on a daily basis, the body becomes used to that. Then once you take a day off of drinking so much, it's very noticeable. So I think varying it a bit is good...if you are working hard one day, drink a lot. If you are have a very relaxed day, don't drink so much.

Just some hopefully helpful suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  03:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For normal people drinking water regularly is essential. But yogis and ascetics can drink alot less water and remain functioning within normal parameters. It all depends at which stage the individual is at.

If we are to realise our true silent nature then it is necessary to learn how to halt the activities of the mind and body. That ofcourse includes the brain, the heart, the lungs, the kidneys, the bladder etc.. If we are drinking all the time, how are our bladder and kidneys going to go still? They will always be working. If our body and mind are working we cannot merge with infinite silence to realise our true nature.

Just little theories of mine, all food/water for thought.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether said:
It should be clear.

I'd fear that aiming for clear might be a bit excessive....
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
In my experience even meditaitng for a few minutes gives me a thirst due to the energy produced.Yellow urine with a strong smell is also a sign of purification taking place and more water is better for me.A couple of litres might be needed in one day to clear the urine.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  8:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I'd fear that aiming for clear might be a bit excessive...."

I've had clear most of the time on 2 liters water per day,
moderate exercise most days, strenuous a couple times a
week, low meat diet.

If you eat a lot of protein and animal products it will be more yellow, but you should drink more water too. Doctor's main objection to the Adkins diet (mostly protein) is that it stresses the kidneys.
The kidneys function better with more water when they have toxins to flush out.

I'm editing this to be more clear LOL:

Your urine doesn't have to be clear all the time. It's an indicator.
Yellow means drink more water.

Chiron wrote:
"If we are drinking all the time, how are our bladder and kidneys going to go still? They will always be working."

You need a little water all the time to flush toxins from eating food, and from exercise. If you stop eating, then your urine goes clear, then you only need to flush toxins from exercise. So if you are immobile at that point, there is no need to drink for a while.

Edited by - Etherfish on Dec 05 2006 7:03:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  01:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000