Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Breathing during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buscador

India
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  11:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have started meditation recently, although I have been following different meditation and yoga schools, off and on.

My question rather peculiar situation is that whenever I meditate I automatically focus on breathing. Either I am lost in thoughts or I am focused on breathing, inspite of myself.

To elaborate further, whenever I sit with closed eyes if I try to observe my thoughts I would automatically focus on breathing and it becomes forced with deep long breaths. I could not avoid it, and even with mantra it continues.

Kindly tell me how I could avoid focusing on breathing.

Thanks and Regards

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  12:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello buscador, welcome to AYP!

When I started practising the AYP deep meditation, I already had a sound in my head, from my previous meditation method. It was very persistent - it seemed almost as if there was no room for I AM. But I kept favouring I AM. After a while the pre-existing sound started to mix with I AM, and then gradually it becae easy to have I AM as the main focus.

So it takes some patience and perseverance. You just need to keep favouring the mantra and it will, in time, override the breath or other objects of meditation we might have used in the past.

Enjoy your practice!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Sep 20 2015 12:06:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  9:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started AYP I had the same problem where I could not detach the mantra from the breath. It would be so much easier if AYP was the first meditation technique ever in your life, but most come from other teachings, so we have to break some old habits and build new ones which takes time.

Initially, to overcome the habit of matching the mantra to the breath, I would speed up the mantra in the first few minutes of DM so it was faster than the breath. Even though this is wrong, it helped me break the habit and in about 2 weeks or so, I wasn't even focusing on the breath and could start DM not even being aware of breath any longer.

Go to Top of Page

buscador

India
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot blueraincoat and alecpeace
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000