Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Neck tension.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dothog

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  12:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've been trying to meditate for > 15 years but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've had various energy experiences and automatic yoga, etc. and have felt my Kundalini rise to my navel once during meditation about 10 years ago, and sometimes been woken at night by energy surges.

Recently though, well, for as long as I can remember now really, I find that I have tension in my neck and shoulders when I meditate and I just can't reach a point of deep stillness. I never see anything when I meditate except for inner space sometimes - no flashing lights/visions, etc.

I remember that the one time I felt Kundalini rise while I was meditating I was *so* relaxed that I felt my energy sort of crystallise. I've never been able to repeat it though.

I don't know if I'm trying too hard, but I've tried awareness meditation to "do nothing", but still my head jerks about. I expect it's probably some sort of issue with how I'm sitting. I kneel on a buddhist style meditation bench now and it's more comfortable on my legs than sitting on a cushion and pressing my heel to my perineum.

I simply don't know what I'm meant to do here. I've read the lessons but no matter what I try, the muscles at the side of my neck get tense and I can't seem to get a good posture. If I relax too much my shoulders want to roll forward and then at some point my head jerks back and I lose concentration.

Has anyone got any advice please? I've started doing asanas before practicing but still no joy.

Thanks

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 27 2015 06:52:42 AM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  1:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dothog, welcome to the forum!

I wonder if you got into a bit of a battle with this neck tension. (You know the 'you strengthen what you fight' principle? ) My first thought is that it should be treated as any other distraction during meditation i.e. you go back to the mantra. If the discomfort is strong enough to interfere with the mantra repetition, then allow your attention to be with the discomfort for a little while, till it subsides enough so that you can go back to easily picking up the mantra.
This is explained in Lesson 15 (4th paragraph). Have you tried this approach?

It sounds like you have had good results/progress from your practices. I shouldn't worry about seeing lights/visions or repeating certain experiences. They are just scenery and it is not productive to focus on it.

Keep up the good work. Best wishes!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 24 2015 1:21:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

dothog

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BlueRaincoat, I'll try just being with it a while and then going back to the meditation again. I think perhaps I've fallen into the trap of trying to repeat experiences instead of just being open to whatever comes up and this may be making me frustrated on some deeper level and manifesting as tension. I'll try to give that up as well.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  1:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dothog
being open to whatever comes up
Yes, there is a lot to be said about that.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I kneel on a buddhist style meditation bench now and it's more comfortable on my legs than sitting on a cushion and pressing my heel to my perineum.

You can add a small ball or rolled socks at your perineum to simulate siddhasana. You will gain the benefits of the pose without the discomfort. I am assuming your spine is erect and vertical, with your chin level and ears over your shoulders. Perhaps some gentle head rolls before spinal breathing will help.

As you suspect, chasing experiences can be one of your biggest distractions from a deeper experience, and expectations breed disappointment. I hope you discover the "tweek" that works for you.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  8:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or you could leaning back against a wall or a chair for a few sessions and see if things turn out better.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  1:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I always lean against a wall or sit in a chair and it does not detract from the meditation effects, in fact I am not comfortable without back support and find that trying without support makes the meditation stressful. Being comfortable is more important than being correct in the traditional view.My head regularly drops forward to my chest when meditating(a sign of energy blockages in the throat.)but this doea not detract from my meditations.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  06:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

dothog

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I think the problem was that I was trying to make things happen. I've given it a couple of sessions now, and I'm a lot more relaxed in general during meditation, and inner space has opened up in a different way. I really did just need to sit with the mantra itself and not try to get back quickly to some previous state that I'd experienced.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000