Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Radha Soami Satsang Beas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  10:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently met a person, and was given a number of RSSB books to read and assured "my search is over", that THIS is the method that will lead me to enlightenment. There are rules - vegetarianism, no intoxicants, etc. there is sound and light meditation and focusing on the third eye. Two and a half hours of meditation per day. An initiation by 'a master'. My research has found mixed results - from cultish to the genuine thing. I am an avid searcher and now another path is presented I am confused. Have I won the lottery or am I getting into more confusion? Any advice appreciated before this person who delivered the reading material comes back for my feedback. Anyone experienced in this path? I know the guru is within but somehow I get a feeling of destiny that perhaps this is another path to be explored in association with AYP. Thank you for any lucidity. Namaste.

Edited by - Prem on Feb 22 2015 5:37:16 PM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  08:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Prem

I can't say I know anything about RSSB, I just though I’d stop by because the "won the lottery" bit caught my eye. Are you having realistic expectations when assessing this yoga school? or any yoga school? IMHO you don't win the lottery by joining a school. It is your daily practice that will yield the benefits.

One other question I for one would find useful in this situation is:
What is it that I am missing in AYP? (I’m guessing there is something you feel lacking since you're looking around). And is RSSB providing that missing piece?

Best of luck with your decision.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  11:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Prem,

There are many routes on the path you can take. Is it worth to change your daily practice ? Are you satisfied by the way you practice at this moment?

Sometimes it is the feeling and thinking about enlightenment and the fact that it has to be here and now.....

Do you have the feeling that you would like to practice more and have more disciplines?

IMHO it is your Bhakti and daily practice what will bring you to more freedom and not the books or initiation, although it can be interesting to switch for a time and see what it brings you.

I wish you a steady practice

Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2015 :  12:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BlueRaincoat and Charliedog for your insightful replies. I'm certainly getting results from my AYP and Teaching it to my students as they become ready to integrate new practices. There is enough treasure digging in AYP for a lifetime or two. Why I get distracted and impatient with always keeping one eye looking elsewhere for new tidbits is frustrating and confusing. I was hoping to hear from others who may have experience with this method of meditation. You are both right of course in saying that it's the daily practice and Bhakti that counts and not the number of trainings which i am learning. You use the word freedom and that is what it's all about. Following a particular school sometime give a total restriction of freedom, the opposite of what is looking for. It is entirely possible that my expectations are not realistic and this will take much self inquiry. As a person pushing 60, there is that underlying feeling that perhaps I don't have a lot of time left to explore and test all that comes along. I suppose when a new teaching falls in my lap, I feel it is a sign from the Divine, as though it is some kind of destiny, just like when I found AYP. Thank you both again and all the best on the path.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaskar, Prem

The Radhasoami faith was modernized by Sant Tulsi Sahab in the 18th century but the methods can be traced through Kabir to ancient Vedic times. Another name for this path is Sant Mat.

I was initiated into this group in 1983, as Sant Kirpal Singh had a large following in Vermont. The primary method is Surst Shabd Yoga. The techniques are essentially Nada Yoga and Jyoti Dhyana Yoga, as derived from various yogic schools and taught within Sri Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (eight-limbed yogic system). Mantra meditation is key for this path, referred to as Simran.

I parted ways with these folks specifically because of their cultish organization, disdain for other schools and an obsessive emphasis on worshipping the personality of the Sat Guru. Unlike AYP, they do not emphasize that the Guru is within each of us. Also, most of these people feel other paths lead to Kal and only their own way leads to moksha and enlightenment. Silly wabbits... there is only the one God, one Holy Word.

But the methods are quite sound (pun intended) and I still practice these techniques, along with Kriya Yoga and Zazen. That being said, I feel we ought to honor all lineages equally and see the inherant unity therein. My favorite Sant from this tradition was Sant Maharshi Mehi Maharaj, who wrote a lovely and universal book titled: The Harmony of All Religions.

Be well and shine brightly, Jon

Edited by - Govinda on Apr 04 2015 12:57:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Prem:
quote:
As a person pushing 60, there is that underlying feeling that perhaps I don't have a lot of time left to explore and test all that comes along.

I'm 57, and a year and a half into AYP. I am aiming for "beyond 100", which gives me 43+ years at least. Based on the distance I've come in this year and a half, I should be in full bloom and ready for homecoming!
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's just an awesome attitude Dogboy. Hot on your heels toward homecoming!
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are an inspiration Dogboy! Here's to the next 43 years!! Thank you Govinda also, for sharing your insights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000