Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Body Image
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2014 :  7:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Since I feel that body image is universal, something that effects almost everyone at some point in their lives, I wanted to share this recent experience. In our world obsessed with the cult of physical appearance, I think that many people suffer in the same way.

Prior to today, I don’t think I’ve ever once felt any love for my human face and body. With the deep conviction “I am this body” came all sorts of reasons to be unhappy with the body’s appearance. From an early age, I became painfully “self-conscious”. Every perceived (imagined) flaw and failing of the body becomes “my flaw or failing”. There is something wrong with me, I cannot be loved.

I was unable to look in the mirror without thoughts arising comparing and critiquing my face and body to the faces and bodies of others, generally unfavorably. In terms of pure emotion, at the core of these thoughts, was a feeling of intense lack and inferiority. A sense of being completely unworthy of being loved or desired. In romantic relationships, I always felt that ultimately the other would eventually perceive my unworthiness of being loved. I lived in fear of the moment they would ultimately make this discovery. This led to some pretty screwed up behavior on my part to keep from being hurt.

This sense of unworthiness, separateness, was never far to spring into manifold forms of suffering and self-torture. Reminding me that I am separate, unworthy, unlovable, undesirable.

But over the past couple of weeks, I was able to simply reside as the pure space consciousness within which these thought-forms and emotion-forms were arising. Seeing them without identification I realized they are meaningless, there’s nothing true in them, no reason to believe them. They are just passing appearances like clouds in the sky.

There was a release. I was able to simply be aware of the body, without thought or feeling identifying myself as it, and just appreciate it for the living miracle that it is. Love and peace seemed to flood all the cells. No criticisms or judgements arising, no sense of separateness and unworthiness.

In the weeks beforehand, I noticed I've started to have a gradual change in the way I am relating to people I would find romantically interesting. Just being able to freely give and receive love without expectation or fear.

Anything you can think or believe about 'yourself' is just empty thinking and believing. Thoughts always claim they are true, but they're not. Watch them come and let them pass.

Namaste

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2014 :  8:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful discovery your practice has provided, removing the veils from your Self so you light shines bright! I, too, am in the process of shifting a relationship with my body and yoga is definately providing insight. Thank you for your timely post!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  5:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said. Some brave self-inquiry there. Thank you for sharing. You are loved from over here (though in divine love, there's not much object-to-object exchange--as you and I are both realizing through our direct experience--but you know what I mean ).

Just to stir up the pot a little......here's an interesting self-inquiry question to release into stillness: where is the spot, or nexus point, where pure space consciousness meets thoughts, feelings, and body? In other words, where does unchangeable silence touch the noise of our local space and time? Now that's a fun one to play around with! Enjoy!

Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Oct 05 2014 5:49:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful

Thank you Josh.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot guys.

I inquire into that question often Bodhi! There's hardly a gap between the two, I feel as though the space consciousness IS manifestation, it takes shape as manifestation, yet remains free from manifestation at the same time. But the inquiry is on-going :)

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  11:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Glad you relate. Catch you on the flip...side.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this, Josh!

Go to Top of Page

mil

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Anderson
Thank you so much for the post. I think this self abuse of image is really intense in our culture so anyone that wakes up to a different way of seeing the human image is very precious indeed in my opinion.

I rarely see people talk about this subject in the awakening world but I feel it is a big one to "heal", integrate, transcend or whatever word you would like to use.

The yoga world is such a funny place...people doing wonderful things with it and yet so much of it seems to be preoccupied with what the body looks like as opposed to the shift in seeing you mention.

Thank you so much for this
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  5:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000