Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Physical experiences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Might need a bit of guidance here:

My blood pressure seems to have a mind of its own. Shooting up to 200/100 and back down to 130/80 without any reason. During this time I feel pressure inside my head. My eyes can hurt, upper back and neck can hurt/feel stiff and I have frequent headaches particularly bad in the morning. I also have a bit of ringing in the ears. Its not like tinnitus and is easily bearable and only heard in silence.

I don't take any medication.

Last night my blood pressure was up. My eyes felt like they were being sucked out of my head and I had a headache. I went to bed and took a couple of paracetamol.

Sometime around 2pm during sleep I felt as if something about the size and weight of a large cat was jumping in tiny leaps up the back of my body from feet to neck. I woke up knowing it was only a dream.

I lay on my back totally calm. As I lay there I experienced a series of-what I can only describe-as bursts of excitement. The sort of feeling you get when something is about to happen. Usually described as hair standing on end. However this came in pulses from the base of the spine to the top of the head. It happened maybe 7 or 8 times. I felt no fear or anxiety it felt entirely automatic like watching a dog shake itself of water. During this time I could hear a high pitched chime every so often. At first I thought it was how I was breathing but it didn't emanate from there.

I turned over eventually and fell asleep. In the morning the pain in the head and eyes had gone-these periods tend to persist and so do the symptoms. I felt clear headed and dug out the pressure monitor. Sure enough the blood pressure was back to normal.

I'm wondering if these are perhaps Kundalini symptoms. Weird for me saying this as I'm not one for promoting body energy or coiled serpents and I consider things like this a scenery at best and mumbo jumbo at worst.

I just do the practices 5 min pranayama, 20 mind DM and 5 mins Samyama ( basic 9 sutras ).

Thinking back a week ago I also noticed eye problems and began to feel I no longer wished to speak or communicate with anyone. That's not usual for me.....I like to speak a lot also, for the last few weeks I have not felt like writing my book and by this morning inspiration had appeared.

I'm thinking I have been ignoring possible signs and considered them simply medical symptoms now I'm wondering if I need to investigate and understand this further. Its not pleasant and I'm now thinking it might actually be dangerous.

Any help/advice gratefully accepted.

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  8:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Karl :)

It sounds like an opening and integration in the body, AKA Kundalini awakening. As practices cultivate inner silence/stillness, that in turn increases ecstatic conductivity/Kundalini by way of decreasing resistance or obstructions. Rather than thinking in terms of coiled serpents, a more useful analogy IMO would be like a corroded conductor being cleaned. As obstructions are released, the system becomes a more effective conductor of energy (stillness in action). So, cultivating stillness/witness and energy/Kundalini are like two sides of a coin.

The energy aspect can have more abrupt & intense effects. This is not indicative of an issue IMO unless it is a regular occurance. It seems to be a normal part of the process. As obstructions are released, there can be an integration period which includes powerful experiences.

On the blood pressure issue, I don't recall it being associated with ecstatic conductivity, but it wouldn't be surprising that spikes could occur during intense periods. Have you had blood pressure issues before?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  9:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add a potential remedy...

High blood pressure is typically mitigated by exercise of a cardiovascular nature. I like to run, play tennis, take long walks, etc., and this significantly drops the resting heart rate.

Wishing you the best, Karl. Love your writing. Peace.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  10:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get migraines with k symptoms sometimes. One time had a cluster headache amidst some particularly bad symptoms. Doesn't sound too far off from what you describe.

You can't really know for sure but it definitely could be.

Hope you feel better soon.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  10:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,
the description of blood pressure suddenly rising like that sounds a bit worrying. If you know of any doctor that you can casually ask if this is a known medical symptom, or just unusual, that could give some insight as to what we're dealing with. I vaguely recall a lesson mentioning that ecstatic conductivity will want to rise and expand at any and all costs, so at some point it might be appropriate to ease back if only enough to provide a handle on it. I can barely sense a connection between meditation and samyama with energetic conductivity in that one tends to stimulate the other like Chas was saying from his experience. Based on that, it is conceivable a scenario exists where abundant inner silence is very much facilitating or even stimulating the energetic aspect. A couple of topics and posts (I've found them by search terms 'high blood pressure') mention some practices, diets, and routines to regulate blood pressure, some of which like the asanas could give a quick buff for when it soars. Keep us posted, and best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  01:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I'm wondering if these are perhaps Kundalini symptoms. Weird for me saying this as I'm not one for promoting body energy or coiled serpents and I consider things like this a scenery at best and mumbo jumbo at worst.

Your description of the symptoms certainly sounds like kundalini to me, and it would not be unusual, I think, for it to manifest, particularly since as you said, you've never really dealt with it before. One would think it has to come up at some point, especially given your stage on the path, i.e. there's been so much inner silence and self-inquiry to a very advanced extent, while the ecstatic component has maybe been neglected?

From a medical standpoint I am a little concerned about the high blood pressure, though. There is an over-the-counter herbal medicine called "Mukta Vati" which might help, although most "normal" people would want to see a doctor. In any case, all the best to you! Love.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  02:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Karl
it might be k symptoms or not
but what is important is to go see a doctor cause this is alarming
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  03:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have already been to the Doctor and it was there that the high blood pressure was picked up. I produced a record of the swings which they thought were unusual but after tests they could find no reason for it.

I walk briskly 3 miles a day and ten on weekends, do weights twice a week and asanas once a week, don't eat salt or processed food, don't smoke or drink alcohol and my weight is in the low/normal range.

Resting heart rate is high fifties to low sixties.

My wife is a nurse which is helpful. She has gone from being a kundalini sceptic to a believer she digs out her professional blood pressure kit and just shakes her head at the variance. My mum has had high blood pressure all her life and is a fighting fit 77 years and still works as does my father at 83.

I might well have had high blood pressure for several years without knowing it. Interestingly my blood pressure was entirely normal around the year 2000 as I was obsessed with the electronic machine back then. The doctor picked it up when trying to diagnose a chest complaint ascribed as 'asthmatic' , although subsequent tests showed no asthma symptoms.

I've had this for a few years and always had it down as medical. Its just now I'm wondering if its not.

Edited by - karl on Jun 10 2014 04:14:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  06:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too would say that is definitely kundalini given that you are also hearing Omkar sounds like the high pitched chimes.

I am highly amused, however, that you've been discarding all the going on and on about kundalini (the snake!)on this site as mumbo jumbo . Just for that, I hope it really "bites" you on the rear.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  08:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I too would say that is definitely kundalini given that you are also hearing Omkar sounds like the high pitched chimes.

I am highly amused, however, that you've been discarding all the going on and on about kundalini (the snake!)on this site as mumbo jumbo . Just for that, I hope it really "bites" you on the rear.

Sey

I know, don't need to Sey it.

I've always kept out of the Kundalini forum as it wasn't something I could readily contribute or advise on except from the perspective of over loading and perhaps medical intervention.

I'm still not convinced but there does seem to be some similarities to symptoms I have read about after struggling to come up with a feasible medical reason. The GPs seem to be equally baffled which doesn't help. Apart from the head pain/pressure and perhaps the chest congestion it hasn't really prompted me to inquire outside the usual areas of health. It was the rapid change in blood pressure that piqued my curiosity.

I've never promoted Kundalini directly. Many seem obsessed with full Shakipat right here and now or enlightenment tomorrow. As time has gone on I care less and less about any form of goal-be it enlightenment or whatever-because the river kind of carves out its own banks. Kundalini seemed an even more direct physical concept which I struggled to even consider never mind master.

I do take all my own advice regarding grounding, going easy on the gas pedal-blimey if I went any easier the car would stall so now-maybe-I'm faced with outward physical manifestations of practices. Some of these being slightly alarming, uncomfortable and by most medical standards, not good for the health.

How can I mitigate these effects if they are Kundalini, or should I just carry on ?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

How can I mitigate these effects if they are Kundalini, or should I just carry on ?

Having a very intuitive and kundalini activated acupuncturist (using needle, laser or touch acupuncture [we used the modalities in that order as the kundalini became ever more sensitive]) has always helped me.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  12:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl

Here is another useful website explaining the biology of kundilini.

http://biologyofkundalini.com/

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  5:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever let your body go into spontaneous kriyas? When the kriya impulse comes to me, the ecstasy unfolds in a fluid manner that is semi-controllable and graceful. When I let the energy flow through me like a dancer summoning the Inner Muse, there is much release because every cell in the body is being satiated. It can be incredibly exhilirating, relieving, and empowering--at the same time. The spine wants to communicate with the organs and the limbs, and way beyond--into the pyschic atmosphere, so you have to let it.

The only trick is you have to let your body move and dance with the invisible, silent rhythm. In order to mitigate, we have to dissolve by unwinding.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  03:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Have you ever let your body go into spontaneous kriyas? When the kriya impulse comes to me, the ecstasy unfolds in a fluid manner that is semi-controllable and graceful. When I let the energy flow through me like a dancer summoning the Inner Muse, there is much release because every cell in the body is being satiated. It can be incredibly exhilirating, relieving, and empowering--at the same time. The spine wants to communicate with the organs and the limbs, and way beyond--into the pyschic atmosphere, so you have to let it.

The only trick is you have to let your body move and dance with the invisible, silent rhythm. In order to mitigate, we have to dissolve by unwinding.

I'm lost and have no clue to what that it is ?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  03:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pkj

Karl

Here is another useful website explaining the biology of kundilini.

http://biologyofkundalini.com/

PKJ

That was incredibly useful in more ways than one. It seems I have been writing a science fiction book about Kundalini without having ever studied it. I've even had the characters showing signs of Kundalini stress.
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl
Yes, That website has tons if useful info and lot of symptoms list as well. Lot of info about Kundilini.

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

I developed high blood pressure around the time of intense energy experiences. I have intense head pressure at times, but I don't measure my blood pressure at that time. Like you, I have a family history, so I can't say for sure what the cause is. I've had to cut back on practices even though I was nowhere near a full load (I never even made it to Mulabandha). I would suggest you cut back as well. Based on my own experience, please don't ignore physical symptoms.

P.S. The mom in me says drink a little more water and a little less caffeine.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Well, I know you've played music before (drumming), so think of it like playing an instrument, but your body itself is the instrument, and the metronome, or rhythm, is the flow of energy through your body. It's kind of like spontaneous tai chi, but without necessarily adhering to preconceived forms. You could go into familiar forms, undoubtedly, but allowing a kriya to occur leaves space for new movement through the body. It's very much like interpretive dancing: artistic, free-flowing, expressive, cathartic.

If none of that makes sense, please disregard. I'm sure it will stabilize for you, my friend. Unity. Strength. Wisdom.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2014 :  1:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Karl,

I developed high blood pressure around the time of intense energy experiences. I have intense head pressure at times, but I don't measure my blood pressure at that time. Like you, I have a family history, so I can't say for sure what the cause is. I've had to cut back on practices even though I was nowhere near a full load (I never even made it to Mulabandha). I would suggest you cut back as well. Based on my own experience, please don't ignore physical symptoms.

P.S. The mom in me says drink a little more water and a little less caffeine.

I only practice once a day and rarely at weekends. I've stuck with the original 5/20/5 format and never tried to extend it. I think things are also changing quite rapidly although I have no idea where things are going that might also put my body under stress if I'm going against the programme so to speak.

I drink tea and very little coffee but I'm cutting back anyway. Also ditching any high sugar foods or refined grains - I can't just cut them out and I've tried vegetarian and not eating bread and pasta but life was a misery. Lasagne without pasta is just mince.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2014 :  1:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:

Well, I know you've played music before (drumming), so think of it like playing an instrument, but your body itself is the instrument, and the metronome, or rhythm, is the flow of energy through your body. It's kind of like spontaneous tai chi, but without necessarily adhering to preconceived forms. You could go into familiar forms, undoubtedly, but allowing a kriya to occur leaves space for new movement through the body. It's very much like interpretive dancing: artistic, free-flowing, expressive, cathartic.

If none of that makes sense, please disregard. I'm sure it will stabilize for you, my friend. Unity. Strength. Wisdom.

LOL doesn't matter Bodhi but it sounds wonderful. I'm not cut out for the dancing lark-probably not cut out for drumming either
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2014 :  01:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Bodhi is trying to guide you towards:

At the end of your practices, just sit in total surrender, no expectancy for several minutes. Slowly the energy will rise and do its thing. Don't fight it, just allow it to dance you.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2014 :  08:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

What Bodhi is trying to guide you towards:

At the end of your practices, just sit in total surrender, no expectancy for several minutes. Slowly the energy will rise and do its thing. Don't fight it, just allow it to dance you.

Sey

Right that sounds pretty good I will try that. I haven't been totally resting after DM and will tend to pick up the iPad after a minute or so. Sitting in surrender for a while would be useful. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  04:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
bad bad habit karl
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  06:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

bad bad habit karl

I know. I'm to be more disciplined in future. Its that Insight timer on the iPad that I use to time the practices it tempts me......oh how it tempts me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000