Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 deep meditation frequency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sflorey

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  10:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello my name is sam. I'm new to the deep meditation techniques and am curious... if I feel I am capable of performing a third meditation in a day due to a shortened session earlier In the day, should I resist the urge to practice again? I have experienced no negative effects of deep meditation yet and would like to know if I could be doing more damage than good even though I feel a strong desire to meditate again. Thank you for all help

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome sflorey,

I understand your desire and of course you are free to do three practices in a day. Have you added spinal breathing to your practice yet? If not I would encourage you to add it and stick with just the twice daily routine. It is hard to understand at first but AYP is very powerful and a overload can sneek up and get ya if you over do it.

I wish you the best and let us now how it goes.

Edited by - jonesboy on Nov 20 2013 4:35:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sflorey,
by all means, go for it if that is what's calling to you at this point. If you've been gradually increasing deep meditation times and everything's well, you would be within the solo retreat schedules range depending on your sensitivity and stability. If it seems too much, then keep it for times when you have no obligations, as in retreats. In other systems, mantras are used for much longer time periods, and even all day.

The difference here is the addition of spinal breathing pranayama, as Jonesboy pointed out, in which case you want to stay more within the recommended time lengths since as the lessons say it amplifies deep meditation, and allows for self-pacing when there's a steady schedule to work with.

You do raise an interesting point, whether longer practices of twice daily, or shorter ones interspersed throughout the day are more desirable. When more practices are added on, a single session does draw out more automatically, and repeating more than twice already starts using up a great deal of time.
Go to Top of Page

sflorey

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  8:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kindly for the helpful and informative advice. I feel more better about this now. I have just found myself with extra time at night but am so busy during the day that I only had a short time to meditate and wanted to be able to take advantage of extra time when I feel I want to. I greatly appreciate your help thanks again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000