Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Need clarifications on Yogani?s recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I recently read in "the secrets of Wilder" that we must go where the bliss is; following this idea, I discovered that if I´d lift my chin to the maximum and at the same time I´d do sambhavi and mulabhanda during my deep meditation,I feel incredible blissful currents inside of me; like Yogani says, in this state i feel that my body is a bliss machine; I was quite happy with these experiences during DM, when I heard an interview of Yogani where he says basically that during DM we must do nothing except thinking the mantra; that means no eyes lifting,no anal flexing...so I stopped these stimulations during DM and the bliss almost finished and now I feel a little frustrated during my DM sessions...please someone can give me an advice on what to do during DM: should I follow the path that leads to the maximum bliss or the simple procedure of DM without no additions and then nearly no bliss.

Thanks in advance,
João.

PS: sorry about my bad English.

Edited by - joao.jlgoncalves on Nov 19 2013 5:46:20 PM

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there someone (a more or less advanced practionner) that can give me an advice, an insight about my doubt? I can't believe that, in this huge and fantastic community like AYP is, there is nobody that can help me...please, your suggestion will be really appreciated!

Thanks,
João.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  11:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi João:

The procedure of deep meditation is not that we "do nothing except thinking the mantra." That is not possible and can lead to strain due to too much mental supervision of the process. The procedure of deep meditation is that when we realize we have naturally gone off the mantra, and we will again and again, we just easily come back to it with a gentle favoring. Going off the mantra can involve attention going to thoughts, feelings or even physical movements coming up. We may even get lost for a while in something else. When we realize we have been off somewhere, then we ease back very gently with no strain. Whenever we notice something (anything) that has our attention off the mantra, then we ease back to it at whatever level we are at in the mind -- clear or fuzzy mental pronunciation, wherever we left off with the mantra. We could be off into something else for 15 seconds or 15 minutes. It doesn't matter. As soon as we notice, we come back to the mantra. No value judgments about it. We just use the procedure for our twice-daily time of meditation, rest for 5-10 minutes after each session to let the cycle of purification complete itself, and then get up and go about our business in daily life.

The procedure of deep meditation is very simple, and at the same time very delicate. It is not possible to practice deep meditation effectively while using the attention to do other things at the same time, like continuously managing our posture, breathing, thinking, and especially reinventing the procedure of deep meditation itself on the fly. Any of these intentional things will divide our attention and reduce the effectiveness of the procedure of deep meditation.

Does this mean we should not allow the head to tilt one way or the other if it is happening naturally during our meditation? Does it mean we should not allow any natural blissful swaying of the body or other things that might occur during our sitting? No, it does not mean that. Such things can and do happen, and they can feel very good, but we are not meditating primarily to feel good during our sitting. We are meditating for permanent positive results in our daily life. If we find we are investing our attention in other things during meditation, trying to sustain a particular experience with a particular action, etc, instead of easily favoring the mantra when we notice we are off into something else, then that will be a departure from the procedure of our meditation.

It is interesting how the procedure of deep meditation can be working even when we are intentionally doing something else. At some point, we will notice we are intentionally doing something else during our session, and that is the cue to favor the mantra. Maybe the procedure is even working right now while we are outside our meditation session in this consideration, so the next time we sit to meditate, we will be back to the mantra and letting the head thing go its own way without unnecessarily dividing our attention. Like that.

It is possible to have many things going on during our meditation -- movements, sensations, visions, seeming revelations, mundane thoughts, emotions. Sometimes we may continue to have these things going on at the same time with the mantra present also. If we are with the procedure, we will allow such things, not fight against them or indulge in them too much, and still favor the mantra when we notice our attention has drifted into engaging with anything else.

Deep meditation is not about the management of experiences. It is about the management of our attention in a very particular way. Very simple, very gentle, very easy. That is how we cultivate permanent abiding inner silence over weeks, months and years of daily practice. If we are looking to produce a particular experience during a deep meditation session, it will be short-lived and that will not be the procedure of deep meditation. We may experience various kinds of "automatic yoga," but, still, we ease back to the mantra when we notice our attention is off it. It is returning to the mantra that will take us in to stillness, not the other phenomena.

As we become more experienced, we may find the ecstatic energy component present more often during our meditation. That is fine, we can enjoy it, and still keep with the procedure. It is purification occurring. We may be sitting in siddhasana during meditation, or find mudras and bandhas occurring spontaneously, or find the breath naturally so refined that ecstasy comes up by itself, etc. We don't have to deliberately engage our attention in any of these things, even as they may be present throughout our sitting. We just continue with the procedure of meditation, and it all works out fine. That's all there is to it.

In the long run, it is not ecstatic energy that constitutes enlightenment. It is the dawn of the witness, abiding inner silence, that frees us from the bondage and suffering of identified awareness. Ecstatic energy has an important role to play in the overall process, providing a vehicle for divine stillness to flow through us. But ultimately it will be the condition of our unbounded inner awareness that forms the unshakable foundation of our freedom. This is why deep meditation is the first practice in AYP, for cultivating abiding inner silence. If we do that effectively, all the rest will come.

It is perfectly understandable that there can be some infatuation with ecstasy and bliss when they are coming up, especially in the beginning. It is natural to want more. We can enjoy these experiences when they occur (remember to self-pace if it gets to be too much). At the same time, it is good to recognize that it is the cultivation of abiding inner silence that is behind all of the ecstasy, and most importantly, it is the foundation that will enable us to move forward into the condition of "stillness in action" and an unending "outpouring of divine love." Eventually it becomes very ordinary and we go about our life much as we did before, with a sense of freedom that never leaves us, and an increasing compassion and ability to be of service to others. That is the greatest experience of them all.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  04:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,I have no words to express my gratitude...your books, your posts,your spirit are changing my life; you are making all the difference to me,to my life(like for thousands of others through the world)...please don´t stop, because what you are making for all humanity is something great!

Thank you Yogani
love
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  03:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,that was a beautiful and clear explanation of the process.
thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000