AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 There is No God But God.. Sufism and Advaita
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  04:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There is no God but God is the English translation for the Arabic of "La Ilaha El Allah." These words are used by Sufies in their Zikr (Repetition of a holy name or mantra)

When Yacin was with us here in Beirut, he explained to us once that when a sufi repeats La Ilaha Ella Allah... It is to indicate that there is in existence nothing but God. Even I don't exist and there's only God. It means a total negation of everything and a complete affirmation that there is only God in existence... Similar to the neti neti approach in advaita...

Sidi Sheikh Al Alawi says in one of his prayers... "How do I praise you in oneness when I don't exist with oneness." And in one of his muzakaras he is quoted within Martin Ling's book as saying how can there be an advent of God into a human being. On this path there is only One and not two.

I ask pardon from God and from you dear reader if I've fallen short in expression but I had to let this out in writing...

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  08:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

Thank you for sharing the words. While I agree with you that in the end it is the same, being "One with God". I believe the Buddhist neti-neti approach and the sufi/Christian/Muslim loving-forgiveness approach are different.

Rather than not this, not that, it seems to me the approach is "forgive everything". Buddhism is a path of the mind/intellect. Jesus/Mohamed taught the path of the heart.

Best wishes, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Jeff,

I don't see any difference... I've met buddhist and many advaitans and even though the most might come up as dry yet they are all heart when you know them more. I don't think as one progresses along the path that boundaries such as mind/intellect and heart still do exist... All becomes heart even your way of thinking and rationalizing...

Al Hallaj was a great suffi saint who used to cry out loud "I am God." Yet he was a big bhakta... These words came out of him because all boundaries between himself and the One melted away. Al Hallaj realized that he was not and only God was.

Speaking from my own experience and even though I am not established in truth... I've had prolonged glimpses of unity and even the intellect melted then... I know it's love calling out for love... But I can't help but love.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ananda,

I completely agree that the "result" and progression are the same. My point was only that the starting approach/logic was different. The buddhist path "denies everything" (including God) until nothing is left. A Muslim/Christian "cleaves to" God, until he/she is as Al Hallaj said "I am God" or Jesus said "One with God". Buddists pursue nothingness. Muslim/Christian's pursue everythingness.

In the end, nothing and everything is the same thing, but each path has different "pitfalls" along the way. A neti-neti path can become nihilistic and miss the "oneness" with everything. An "I am everything/God" approach can lead to a powerful "spiritual Ego", which is what I think the Gospels are addressing when Jesus is tempted by Satan (to co-rule the world) before his crucifixion/resurrection.

Finally, I would agree that you can't seem to wrong with a "love calls love" approach.

Love +

(edit - added an "s")

Edited by - jeff on Jan 11 2013 11:12:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on the difference in the starting approach Salam
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  11:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wa Alaikum As-Salam

Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  02:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All paths lead ultimately to same ultimate experience (self-realization) via different maps or steps or roads, there are different paths or systems or methods that might trigger the move. The problem is at what speed, managing the symptoms the self-pacing, can it be done in one lifetime or few reincarnations !

I've found many systems are corrupted in a sense they carry built-in issues that actually will block the complete process in once lifetime. Some other systems and gurus will make you sweat but not give the complete instructions. The main reason being these teachers or self-proclaimed gurus have not reached self-enlightment, they think they have reached self-realization so their disciples inherit of these masters unresolved karma building up even more collective karma this time.

Personally and having being exposed to Christian, Buddhism, Hinduism, sufi, shaman... not all systems of course, I do feel today something is missing or there is an auto-pilot stuff blocking the process so at the end, lots of dillusions or loss of time.

You quote advaita with sufi, good but you might then quote dzogchen, maybe other systems not worldwide well known or advertized.

Albert
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  03:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Albert, whatever name you wish
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  04:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I've found many systems are corrupted in a sense they carry built-in issues that actually will block the complete process in once lifetime. Some other systems and gurus will make you sweat but not give the complete instructions. The main reason being these teachers or self-proclaimed gurus have not reached self-enlightment, they think they have reached self-realization

very true....the same is said by Yogani...lots of the tools were kept secret
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000