New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  12:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello Folks,
I have had the good fortune of meeting someone recently that had the experience of THAT ( I AM THAT, all this is THAT).
He has been discussing this with me for a bit; had this experience for ~4 months, and then 'retuned'. Thought to share just a snippet for your consideration.

It happened suddenly, I was driving back home when I remembered the I Am That, by Nisargadatta, and without advice I was "THERE". I realized that the book was written just for me, but not me John, but for "me" the non dual reality. There are no others, and there is no "I".

I asked him if he had any guidence for an aspirant that wished to experience this himself/herself, he said the following:

Since I didnt reached the peace associated to THAT I would refrain myself as for giving any guidance. Still, this would be my best: Be attentive to the moment. Don't forget that you are being attentive. Be even more attentive when you realize you are being attentive. Attention is the key.

I then asked, what about the individual that is looking for a 'smooth ride'? to I AM THAT, he said,

Be ready to see something that goes well beyond anything you can imagine. One thing is to think about non duality, and another, VERY DIFFERENT is to actually see it. I would say that its like have lived without sight for all your life and then, because an advance treatment, begin to see for the first time. Whatever you thought it was going to be the "light" it is not!

more if there is interest.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on May 12 2006 9:15:31 PM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  1:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, Frank, this is probably THE naive post of the month, but haven't we all had minor experiences of That? That is, anyone who's acquired a degree of inner silence? I've had brief nano-moments during meditation, and sometimes in my external life, where I encounter - as in brush up against - a realization that might easily be expressed with the words I AM THAT. But by the time I finish the thought and cross the T, the realization is gone. The aftershocks are stunning in themselves; indeed, maybe all I can handle at this point.

So with the above in mind, your friend's experience doesn't floor me, unless he was able to linger there for a spell. Plz correct any confusions on my part.

Non-duality follows the perception of emptiness. Penetrate THAT.

Thanks, Frank.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  1:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

Okay, Frank, this is probably THE naive post of the month, but haven't we all had minor experiences of That?

No. Just shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You mean to tell me that these brushes I've had are mere shadows of THat? Wow. That's pretty profound. Are you quite sure of this? Yes, Frank - I'd like to hear more of what our friend said.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure? No. I take it on faith from things I've read and heard from people whose experiences struck me as on the money.
Plus increasing intuition.

All we perceive and all we think is in mind, mind, mind. And this prison of mind is a mere energetic burp, an inconsequential side effect to an overeager organ (the brain, wise guy). That I know to be true. But I know it with my mind, so I can't be "sure" of anything. What's the uncolored, unfiltered direct raw experience of things, devoid of mental processing? Who am I when I stop clinging for dear life to the delusion that I am my cognitive, narrative, grasping/recoiling self image? That's what all the mystic dudes are talking about.....but can't do so adequately because description is exactly that same coloring, filtering, cognating, narrating, processing, etc. It's labeling that got us into this mess to begin with.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 12 2006 2:13:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  2:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim>>>It's labeling that got us into this mess to begin with.

It's a fine mess we've got ourselves into though - don't you think, Ollie?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  2:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha. But not so fine. Rife with needless suffering. Ugh!
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that suffering is needless? Wouldn't you say that we suffer according to our needs? And in spite of it all, wouldn't you say the whole mess is incredibly beautiful? As you've said - what are we gonna do? Drop the paintbrush, or keep painting?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  3:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's all needless. It all just "is". And it's all unimaginably beautiful, regardless.

Those with sufficient perspective to see this don't discriminate. They see beyond the dichotomies of pain and pleasure, and therefore pain can't make them suffer (this isn't "enlightenment", btw...I'm nowhere near enlightened, but I can inhabit this particular truth a lot of the time, if not continuously, so I'm giiving it to you straight!).

Those who lack that perspective torture themselves. That's what suffering is: needless self-torture. And the process of gaining perpective connects you somewhat more directly to the love in which we all steep. And that triggers a deep impulse to help alleviate that needless suffering.

It's all perfect exactly as-is, with suffering and everything. Every color belongs in this painting we're all collaborating on (even ugly painful ones). But as we gain perspective on things, we naturally begin to paint in the color of compassion. It's just what we do. It's how it works.

Dropping the paintbrush is always an option. But that itself is a gesture of beauty. You can't stand apart from the beauty. Not for a moment. Even if you're dressed sloppy and screaming at your kid in the shopping mall.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 12 2006 3:24:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank in SD said:
<clip>
Be ready to see something that goes well beyond anything you can imagine. One thing is to think about non duality, and another, VERY DIFFERENT is to actually see it. I would say that its like have lived without sight for all your life and then, because an advance treatment, begin to see for the first time. Whatever you thought it was going to be the "light" it is not!

more if there is interest.
<clip>

Yes, there is interest. Please do continue...

Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  9:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto please, and thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  11:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd just like to note that Nisargadatta was the teacher of that Sailor Bob guy I'm always going on about. A great lineage of non-dualism.

How'd you meet him, Frank?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank,
Thank you for sharing.. Dont stop, keep going.. It may be a common every day experience for some here, but not for me. So please do tell us more.
-Shanti.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  1:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I look forward to the next snippet!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank, it sounds as if John can be in the witness state (I don't know how else to say this) at will....

thank you for sharing this...

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Once again.. thank you Frank. And yes, please don't stop..
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  12:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Frank-in-SanDiego

But remember that one stops to seeing the "difference" between what is called "I" and what is called "the world". Such a boundary is simply not present at all. Not at all, in any sense, one have trouble even trying to understand such "separation", seems completely arbitriary and absolutely irrelevant.

Wow. Very powerful. I take it that this guy has no real ego struggles. It sounds like he's completely empty/open/receptive. What is it that brings a person to that place, anyway? Is it diligence? Pure grace? Is it like asking what makes a Mozart?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Frank.. it must have been wonderful talking to him. Sometimes I wonder how much is involved in getting to this point that John is in. I wonder how it must feel to not see all your life and then suddenly its all there.. and to think of it.. it is all here.. we just don't see it.. I am glad you had a chance to meet John and you are at a point of awareness where you can ask such beautiful questions and you understand what he is talking about and can appreciate it. Thank you for sharing your conversation with him, with us.
Pranams.
-Shweta

Edited by - Shanti on May 14 2006 10:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank.. that was very nice. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  2:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It feels humbling to know that we are preparing our runways for His/Her Grace to happen. Thank you Frank ~alan

Edited by - alan on May 14 2006 2:25:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks so much for taking the time to share this, Frank. As I read, it occurred to me more than once that you're 'John', but too humble to tell it in the first person. :) Doesn't matter - it's a powerful story either way.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  10:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i would speculate that a person in that state would have all siddhis available to them, but would lose all desire to use them.
did he say anything about that?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing this story about John and this thread. I am very curious about his inner energy development. In other words, did he come by this experience without ever doing any pranayama or did he just do meditation or perhaps neither?

What I am unclear about is if it is possible to reach this state of awareness without the sushumna being purified to at least the extent where there is flow of inner energies etc. I find that none of the non-dualists that I have read, like Sailor Bob, Tolle etc., talk about the role of this in their present state of awareness or along the path they took in getting there.

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  12:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank,

To clarify, I was wondering if he is aware of the inner energies and how they evolved along with his evolving awareness rather than about his prior practices.

thanks

A
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  07:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank it is so strange.. when I hear him talk.. I can feel what he is feeling.. I can almost see why he says "Sorry I cant put this more clearly. Its really something you have to experience, not "understand" it." ... it feels like I have felt this before.. and I know I have not.. its like taking a journey.. I have taken before.. and yet I know I have not...
Thank you Frank for sharing this with us.. do keep going...
Pranams to you and John..
-Shweta.

Edited by - Shanti on May 16 2006 1:40:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  11:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its awsome wonderful
Keep us informed please.

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000