Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Heart Rhythm Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  11:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"Living from the heart" is a book by Puran Bair which i discovered a couple of days ago and i wanted to share my thoughts on this. You can find the website by searching google.

Basically, pranayama is done in a certain way where you begin to feel your heart beating consciously and then you gain control in life etc. It is based on a Sufi tradition very much similar to Yoga. But instead of the standard yoga approach the meditation here centres on bringing meditation based on the heart into everyday life.

One of the implications of this particular approach that i thought about was that it might be possible to slow the heart consciously and thereby induce automatic pratyahara. According to Yogananda, the heart is the switch that turns on and off the senses and that when the internal organs slow down pratyahara occurs automatically with the result that interiorisation is effortless and the senses stop introducing thoughts into the mind which means meditation easier.

What do you think?

Thanks

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi, this may not be helpful, but fwiw I used to pay a lot of attention to heartbeat and to breath.

Since I started AYP, which is about detaching mantra from breath (and, thus, paying little or no attention to breath, and letting it do whatever it needs to do), I pay no attention to either at all.

I've also seen for myself the difference between heart and heart chakra. That also has made me deemphasize heart. The heart's just some organ, but the chakra.....(clucking tongue for lack of words). The organ itself these days strikes me as no more significant than the gall bladder or any of the less celebrated organs :)

That said, there are lots of ways through all this. I'm just offering my current perspective, for what little it's worth.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000