Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 A good reference for beginners and advanced DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have copied this to my Dropbox account as I believe it is a very good source of information for all levels of meditators. It is by a guy called James Swartz and is copied from his website at www.shiningworld.com. It is 97 pages long.

Shining world is recommended by the stillness speaks website as one of the clearest And most uncomplicated guides to traditional Adviata. It covers issues with meditation and the problems that are most likely to be experienced by different character types as well as an indispensable guide to self inquiry readiness and the origin of dualistic thinking.

http://db.tt/EFOQb8II. Link to the Free meditation ebook.

Edited by - karl on Dec 30 2011 2:53:15 PM

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  5:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed this book and found it helpful and well written. While the author describes some meditation practice in this book, the meditation really takes a back seat to the entire process of Self-inquiry. According to this author (and Yogani too, I think), the purpose of meditation is to create a mind that is clear enough to make a disciplined inquiry into the Self and thereby learn one’s true nature. One’s true nature is, as Yogani puts it, pure bliss consciousness.

The author’s description of samskaras starting on page 30 and his description of the gunas starting on page 48 were really helpful. These descriptions nicely rounded out the concept of “purification.” However, I think the author’s statement, “Meditation and inquiry are only possible in a sattvic mind” might be unhelpful to a beginner (page 50). The mind can be trained and, if a beginner waits for the “right” state of mind to begin practice, he or she may never start down the path. I like AYP’s emphasis on the practice of meditation as just being part of your daily maintenance.

Aside from that tiny nit, this book makes the process of Self-inquiry completely approachable and understandable, even if I’m not quite ready to undertake it. (I’ve no witness in my awareness – just a gut feel after the fact telling me whether I’ve been true to myself.) When I’m ready, I’ll come back to it and read it again.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  6:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. Here's one of my favorite quotes: “Thinking of Enlightenment as an experience also opens the meditator up to the problem of maintenance…. no ego experience lasts forever.... How can the ego, which is a limited form of the Self, hold onto the unlimited Self and make it deliver a particular experience? …” (Page 13)

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as with everything, take what you need and leave the rest. Everything is twisted by personal perspective.

The Gunas were very helpful in understanding how different character types engage with meditation and inquiry and what can become blocks to progress. It had far more relevance than a host of personality profiles and it was accurate for me.

The other interesting part was the drop of rain on the mountainside, how experiences carve niches of desire and how innocence is soon scored by attachment. The authors attempt to describe the Genesis of humanity in much the same way as the big bang.

I also read his autobiography which was riven with the same doubts and neurosis that plague everyone to some extent. That established his credentials as a person trying hard to be objective about subjectivity. He wasn't taken in, neither did he dismiss without investigation. I think he is genuine, even if not everything fits perfectly, it is a very different take on anything else I have read. It's a
Most a scientific approach.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Karl for the ebook!

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  2:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your very welcome.

I wasn't intending to keep it hosted forever, not sure how many have read/downloaded it? I can't post a direct link to the document on the shiningworld website because it doesn't seem to work.

Hope others get the chance to use it before I remove it from my account.

Let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

FutureHumanDestiny

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  3:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
epic read there.

thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl:

I finished the autobiography a few days ago. There was a sentence in there that really surprised me: "I re-entered the ancient texts and realized that at the highest level of spiritual evolution Yoga and Vedanta need to part company" (page 198).

I know I'm displaying my ignorance, but I thought Yoga included Self Inquiry, or at least that one led to the other. Now I'm trolling through the other items offered on the website trying to figure out what he meant by that.

Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl!

Try these links:

Meditation: Inquiry into the Self

Mystic By Default (Autobiography)

For some reason our forum software was automatically replacing the parentheses in the links with the URL code for spaces. I manually replaced the parentheses with the URL codes for open and closed parens and I think that fixed the problem. The links work for me now anyway.

Lots-o-love,
--Liz

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

Hi Karl!

Try these links:

Meditation: Inquiry into the Self

Mystic By Default (Autobiography)

For some reason our forum software was automatically replacing the parentheses in the links with the URL code for spaces. I manually replaced the parentheses with the URL codes for open and closed parens and I think that fixed the problem. The links work for me now anyway.

Lots-o-love,
--Liz

That's better. I felt a bit awkward hosting someone's work without permission.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

Hi Karl:

I finished the autobiography a few days ago. There was a sentence in there that really surprised me: "I re-entered the ancient texts and realized that at the highest level of spiritual evolution Yoga and Vedanta need to part company" (page 198).

I know I'm displaying my ignorance, but I thought Yoga included Self Inquiry, or at least that one led to the other. Now I'm trolling through the other items offered on the website trying to figure out what he meant by that.

It's such a personal view point. Yoga Vendanta is the convergence of Yoga as the tool and Vendanta as philosophy from my limited understanding. I think he is suggesting that during the more advanced stages of Spiritual development that Yoga becomes a distraction, the final physical connection that could become a hindrance.

Although many Gurus suggest plunging into self inquiry, there is recognition by most that Yogic meditation is going to be needed by most people. SI is seen as an advanced yogic technique because of the Yoga- Vendanta link, but really self inquiry is a completely separate thing.

In AYP it seems that SI has quite happily been adopted as a complimentary practice, although Yogani is very specific about having enough stillness before it is used. There is nothing that prohibits this, but I think James is suggesting that it isn't a good idea to consider them as complimentary during more advanced stages.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000