Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 Guru purnima
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
On this day, disciples offer puja (worship) or pay respect to their Guru (Spiritual Guide). It falls on the day of full moon, Purnima, in the month of Ashadh (June–July) of the Shaka Samvat, Indian national calendar and Hindu calendar.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Purnima

Today is guru purnima.
Being a part of AYP, I have come to understand that the guru is in us. However, there are many gurus (living and in spirit), many many people, author, books in my life that have helped me in my path. My children are my greatest gurus. My family, my friends and all the many many members who post their thoughts and writings and questions at the forum... you are all my Gurus. Yogani, I know you do not want the guru label, but you have been the greatest teacher I could have and I am still learning, every day, from you.

So to all of you, please accept my pranams and a huge thank you for helping me be where I am today.

I have painted this for all my gurus... for all of you... as a thank you:
http://the-journey-inward.blogspot....us-feet.html

The song that is there along with the painting is Mere Gurudev by Krishna Das. He sings that song with such devotion and ignites such devotion in the heart of all who listen to it.

Thank you.

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  12:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is beautiful, Shanti. I love your painting. That song by Krishna Das is exquisite. Thank you for sharing.

My children are my greatest gurus too. Bless them.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  1:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Shanti
i was about to mention that today is guru purnima in the section gurus,sages and higher beings...then i discovered your post..
beautiful painting and beautiful kirtan too
the guru is the sun
and the disciple is the moon
the moon does not give light,it only reflects the sun's light..
in the full moon of the month of june/july...the moon reflects the sun light more than any other month
so in guru prunima ....the wish is for all devotees to become the full moon that reflects perfectly the sun light....
to all the gurus (inner one and external ones ) ....."May his feet rest upon my head"-Muruganar/Guru Vachaka Kovai
Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jennifer and Maheswari.

I find Krishna Das amazing. Hindi/Sanskrit not being his first language, I love how he can bring life to the words and put so much emotions into every word.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful painting
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely beautiful Shanti!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us and much love
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Amoux and Faileforever.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000