Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Extending samyama and reducing DM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TensorTympani

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2023 :  11:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi!

I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with doubling the repetitions of sutras during samyama (4 instead of the usual 2).
When would be the right time to do that?

I have been doing samyama for 9 months, and I think I got the hang of it. It often pulls me even deeper into stillness than DM, so I'm kind of interested in increasing the samyama time.
Due to time limitations I'm thinking of reducing the amount of DM so as to keep total practice time constant.

Reading this lesson here https://www.aypsite.com/plus/385.html#385.1 it seems ok to cut 5 min from DM and extend samyama by 5 min on a regular basis. I usually do 20 min of DM and 10 min of samyama (I'm usually done with my 2x10 sutras after 8 mins). The silence after about 10 min of DM is already quite "thick", so I think samyama should not be affected by cutting back DM to make time for 4x10 sutras. This would mean 15 min DM and 15 min samyama. I already reduced pranayama to 7 mins in total (3 min SPB, 1 min spinal bastrika, 3 min chin pump), so that I don't want to cut any time there. Including the rest phase that gives a 45 min session and I can't increase that further at the moment.

I'm a bit hesitant to give it a try because cutting away 2x5min/day of DM might only show up on the long run. So I might slow myself down without really noticing. Any ideas are welcome!

TensorTympani

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick reply to myself: Revisiting Yogani's lessons, it is fine to have per session up to 20 min samyama and 10 min of cosmic samyama.

The 20 min samyama could be comprised of 4 repetitions per sutra, and/or many repetitions of a single sutras.

So in principle I could do 20 min DM, 20 min samyama, and 10 min cosmic samyama.

Instead of ramping up samyama I have decided to add cosmic samyama to my routine directly before the rest phase, and to reduce DM to 15 mins to maintain my total session runtime.

I will give it a few months to see if there is an effect of reducing DM by 5 mins, and adding 5 mins of cosmic samyama.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2023 :  12:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tensor,

If things are stable for you, why reduce DM at all? As Samyama (both regular and cosmic) are outward flowing, there most likely is little danger of overloading. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

TensorTympani

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2023 :  12:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy,

Cutting DM by 5 min/session is about keeping the total session time fixed. Since I want to do more samyama, cutting DM seemed natural to me. The only other option would be to ditch spinal breathing (3 min), or chin pump (3 min) which I do before DM, which I feel is a worse option than reducing DM by a few mins. Anyways, I will try it out a few months and see if I want to go back to 20 min DM.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000