Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Self Pacing Advice Needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I started deep meditation in december 2017. My daily life increased. Felt fresh waking up. Felt more and more clear throughout the day. Nearly no headdaches or clumsyness anymore. Could absorb meetings and events much better.

So I bought all the AYP lessons afterwards and started the Asanas as described in the book 3 Weeks ago (the basic routine without mudras etc.) Thogether witht that I also started Spinal Breathing Pranayama.

After the first couple of days with this increased routine I felt that I couldn´t concentrate that good at work. In the morning and evening I felt more tired again and had some headdaches / clumsyness not so much clearity in my mind.

So last week I decided to do Pranayama only once a day for 2 minutes instead of 5 tiwce. And reduced Asanas to only one time a day.

Still not feeling as good as before. Should I continue with that until i feel clear and refreshed again? Or should I drop the new excercises completely and go on with Deep Meditation until I´m clear again?

Thank you!
Fabi

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fmyoga and welcome here

Selfpace is an important factor at the AYP journey. You noticed this already, DM is powerful and you are running instead of taking one step at a time. You started 3 months ago with DM, what is your time schedule?

Lesson Step by step,
https://www.aypsite.org/58.html

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 26 2018 08:44:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Fabi

Welcome to AYP!

I second Charliedog. Mantra meditation is a powerful practice.
The basic self-pacing advice is that, when you realise you are overdoing, you go back to the routine on which you were stable.

Half a year to a year is a reasonable time to let DM bed in. Some people even go all the way with meditation only. For as long as you keep at your daily meditation routine, you are making progress. You can always try to add additional techniques later.

Enjoy your practice
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I actually started to do Deep Meditation twice a day for 15 minute plus rest in december 2017. I was really consistent and could say I missed not a single session, only reduced it due to circumstances a few times.

I´m really excited (desire) about all of these practices. And I enjoy Asanas a lot since I´m really stiff in some postures. But maybe I just have to take them back for now and just do my regular DM which I was used to.

If I´m back to feeling really fresh again. Would you say I should wait for 2-3 more months before I start with Pranayama? Would it be good start with Pranayama first and let this practice settle and then after some time add Asanas?

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fabi,

Twice a day 15 minutes is a good start. Best is to go back as BlueRaincoat mentioned to the routine on with you were stable. Later if the routine stays stable you can add for instance SBP for some minutes and see how it goes. If you take one step at a time and wait until the practice becomes routine, you always know how a practice works in you. Then you can easily self-pace if needed. Your bhakti (desire) is wonderful.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  10:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fabi and all,

Just to add to what others have said above: If you cut your routine back as far as the point where you were stable, and then find that you are still experiencing symptoms of energetic overload, such as headaches, you can cut back further. You would then keep cutting back until you reach a stable level of practice.

Once you have found that level, it is good to keep that routine going for some time, before gradually building your practice up again.

In terms of energetics, if you are experiencing headaches after taking on both Spinal Breathing and asana practice at the same time, it is likely to be the Spinal Breathing that is the culprit. So you could try using asana practice and meditation for a while, to see how it goes. If it is too much, then leave the asana practice out. If that is still too much, then try reducing the time of meditation, or if you are going below 10 minutes of Deep Meditation practice, due to self-pacing, try switching to breathing meditation for a while.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

thanks for your advice! I think I will just go back to meditation for now until I´m stable again. Spinal breathing felt really hard to coordinate breath and going from brow to pernium. I think I need more practice to get this coordinated feeling really flawless and stable, but will skip it for now until my routine is stable. I have to say that I didn´t felt the symptoms right after the practice.. But in daily activity, just feeling not as fresh and clear as before and being more tired again.

Fabi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  12:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fabi,

That sounds like a good plan. When you do come back to Spinal Breathing again, you don't need to be too concerned about synchronising the flow of the attention with the breath. If you are breathing in, and you get to the end of an inhalation, before reaching the point between the eyebrows, you can simply skip to the point between the eyebrows. And the same with exhalation, jumping to the perineum, if you have not reached it yet by the end of the exhalation.

Gradually, over time, you will find that the flow of attention will naturally begin to synchronise with the breath. It will not take that long, before you find that happening, without even thinking about it.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That´s good advice! I also struggle with how deep and slow I should breath. I think I´m that kind of person where full yoga breathing is difficult. If I breath in my stomach and then try to breath more into the chest its a bit of a struggle. I didn´t implement that to spinal breathing yet, but in general it is difficult and not intuitive for me.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fabi,

You don't need to use full yogic breathing with Spinal Breathing. Just breathe deeply and fully into the body to a level that is not uncomfortable. If it is not comfortable, then you are breathing too deeply.

Full Yogic Breathing can come later. When you are ready, it will feel easy.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  03:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi, I will apply that as soon as I start doing Spinal Breathing again. After dropping all the new practices I feel a lot fresher and clearer again.

Fabi
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  04:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I´m feeling really on track again. But don´t know what is the best time to start adding practices.

I started DM in december 2017. So the order I found out would be Spinal Breathing, then Asanas and later Samayama. But which timeframe would be the best to start these practices? How should I determine when the practice is settled and I can add another one?

Fabio
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  3:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fabio
quote:
Originally posted by fmyoga
But don´t know what is the best time to start adding practices.

There isn't a hard and fast rule. Over the years, as you become more aware, you begin to feel when you're close to the maximum energetic load you can take and when you have room for a bit more practice, but in the first few years is trial and error.

In another two-three months, you can try to add 5 minutes of spinal breathing before your meditations, see what happens. If you start feeling edgy, you back off. If you feel OK, keep going with 5 minutes and when you feel established in that routine, try increasing to 10 minutes. It's a bit of an experiment.

It sounds like you are making a lot of progress with DM. It's a powerful practice and you are noticing it's effects in daily life. It is clearly working, so don't feel under pressure to top up immediately. You are growing in inner silence, which is the most important part of your journey. With a sound foundation in silence, everything else will fallow.

You are on your way and doing great. Relax and enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2018 :  11:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I added 5min spinal breathing again, and am making really progress with feeling it more natural. I also added the basic asanas routine 1 and a half week ago as I feel really drawn to Asanas because I´m really stiff and want to become more flexible.

But again I´m experiencing days now where I have a lot of thoughts not much silence I´m more stressed and espacially have problems sleeping. It feels like it is awaking Kundalini due to the energy which is affecting me.

Would it be the best thing to back off again and leave out Asanas ?

Even though some days I feel really well, and for example yesterday I had a really deep session nearly without any thoughts.

Edited by - fmyoga on Apr 24 2018 11:22:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2018 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fabio,

If I were you I would self pace the SBP. Pranayama could be the reason. You can experiment for instance with one day 5 minutes SBP, the next day no SBP and so on for a while, see what it does. Don't overdo or overstretch with asana, take your time to build up a routine.

Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2018 :  3:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I will take some time to see if it is really too much for me right now with my routine. In the last days I did more sport (skateboarding) and this seemed to ground my energy more.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2018 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fmyoga

Hi,

I will take some time to see if it is really too much for me right now with my routine. In the last days I did more sport (skateboarding) and this seemed to ground my energy more.

Hi Fabio,

That is a clue for you: It is good to move to ground the energy, or the energy will mess you up. Make a plan to include some physical activity in everyday schedule.

The symptoms of headache and clumsiness are indications that deep meditation works, cleaning deeper layers in the neurobiology. Tensions are coming up and are released. It is the same as when we clean a room, and at first it looks like we made a bigger mess, before a new order emerges. Be patient, and it will pay off. The spiritual practice is like finding the edge of optimal speed, where you move as fast as possible, while still keeping the wheels on the road.

Best wishes for your practice!

Edited by - Blanche on Apr 25 2018 06:49:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  06:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

thanks for your opinions!

doing sports to gorund the energy seems to be a really helpful thing and I will continue incorporating that. I still have these sleep issues. It takes a lot of time before I start sleeping and the sleep doesn´t feel deep at all..It sometimes feels like no sleep. But on the other hand I don´t feel totally unrested in the daily activity. So as long as it doesn´t get too much of an issues I would continue like now and go through this phase.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  08:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fabio,

There is stage in the journey were it seems we do not sleep, like we are in a state of transparency. During the day there is no difference with having nights with deep sleep, energy levels fine. As long as we are feeling ok during the day it is nothing to worry about. Also this will pass.
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After a nice summer with seemingly steady progress more openness not many irritations since the winter I got into a phase with more challanges in life and with more waves in my day to day feeling. Some days I feel open and on some days i feel so peronal heavy again. It changing often times I feel like I again need a more sleep on some days...But I feel it´s part of the progression and not a sign to self pace again, tha path is not always sunny. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Fabi

You are right that there may be highs and lows as you progress. If you can take them in your stride and carry on with the same yoga routine, that's fine.

We make a decision to self-pace when daily life becomes difficult as a result of too much purification. How difficult is difficult, only you can decide.

Do try to get the hours of sleep that you feel are necessary. You may need more rest when there is a lot of cleansing going on.

If you feel there is a risk that things might get out of control, then it's safe to selfpace. The advice is to err on the side of caution.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

ElleSmith

India
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That self-pacing is a skill that takes time to develop. Be patient with yourself as you work on improving your ability to manage your time and tasks effectively. Consistency and practice will lead to better self-pacing over time.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  09:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I recorded a short video for YouTube called "How to Deal with a Painful Kundalini Awakening". That is here.

There is also useful information on self-pacing in this lesson.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000