Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Head Movement + sometimes uncomfortable
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2018 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone!

I have just started back into my meditation and have noticed that as my body relaxes, my head sharply turns to the left, sometimes its there quite a while during my practise and can start to hurt.
And sometimes it feels like its trying to turn all the way around! Weird I know! :-)

Why is this? Any advice pls? I did havve an issue with my neck years ago but that has settled down. could this be an energetic blockage?

albechan

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  04:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

What you're experiencing is what in AYP jargon is called "automatic yoga". This involuntary movements are fairly common and nothing to worry or think too much about.
In deep meditation energy moves around leading to all sort of physical releases: in my case the head sometimes tends to rotate counter clockwise, other times back and forth.
The suggestion is to simply let whatever flows doing its own course without actively interfering. It's just scenery along the path, although very likely there's an important healing aspect associated with it.
If the pain you feel is not very unconfortable and easily bearable, it is good to sink it in inner silence as much as possible.
Instead, if it gets too intense and distracting, you can try to gently move back your attention to the mantra: in my experience this is often enough to trigger an automatic rebalancing that counteracts the most extreme positions assumed by the body.
Go to Top of Page

albechan

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  04:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For better comprehension with regards to the matter, perhaps it's best to refer to the following link:

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=2231
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  06:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sparklingdiamond,

I second albechan in his reply.

Maybe have a look at the lessons on Jalandhara bandha. Sometimes our body knows exactly when it is time for certain practices. Self-pace accordingly.

www.aypsite.org/139.html
www.aypsite.org/140.html

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond, welcome back!

quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond
could this be an energetic blockage?

Yes, it sounds like it. Emotional tensions can express themselves as tension in some muscles.The neck issues you had in the past may have left subconscious stress or fear behind. They will gradually dissolve with yoga practice.

You have received good advice. You may also find helpful reviewing Lesson 15. The fourth paragraph describes how to deal with distracting sensations that come up during practice.

Best wishes

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jun 22 2018 6:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000