Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is SBP the same as Ujjayi?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  11:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My Iyengar teacher has from time to time added a brief Ujjayi stage to our lessons, using a blanket-folded bolster as a support. The technique seems quite similar to SBP though his meditaion guidance is that of Iyengar (you can find it in Light on Yoga), and it feels the same though breathing is a little easier when reclining on the bolster.

He says, and Iyengar teaches it as Ujjayi, in Light on Pranayama.

But, is there a real difference?

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  1:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have read 'Light on Yoga' but some teachings use props to support you, if you feel it serves you in the beginning it is ok. On the other hand It can go quite far sometimes with props, so far that we feel we need all those things before we can do yoga.

These days yoga is populair and can have many names and labels, all use certain yoga tools as combinations, some appear the same, some differ. No doubt Iyengar will have some of the same techniques as AYP, so it is very well possible that also SBP (visualize and allow your attention to travel with the breath up and down in the spine ) and Ujjayi (breathing methode) is in the Iyengar program 'Light on Pranayama'. The combination of those two is SBP.

Advanced Yoga Practices is a combination of yoga tools and techniques. Yoga is thousands of years old, nobody has the copyrights of yoga.

This is from lesson 41
In a week or so, or whenever you are feeling steady with the ten minutes of pranayama before your meditation, add the following features: On the exhalations, allow your epiglottis to close enough so that there is a small restriction of the air leaving your lungs. The epiglottis is the door in your throat that automatically closes your windpipe (trachea) when you hold your breath or swallow. By partially closing it as you exhale, a fine hissing sound will occur in your throat. This is called "ujjayi." Be easy about it. Don't strain. Keep the slow, deep rhythm of breathing you have become accustomed to as you add this small restriction in the throat during exhalations. On the inhalations, allow the throat to relax and open more than usual. Do not restrict the air coming in. Rather, allow the deepest part of your throat to open wide, comfortably. Do not change the slow, deep rhythm of breathing you have been doing. Keep your mouth closed during pranayama. An exception would be if your nose is stopped up and you can't breath easily through it. In that case, use your mouth.

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 24 2018 1:48:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  9:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charlie, it seems you are focussed on the props, perhaps assuming they are only for beginners. I think this is an incorrect interpretation of Iyengar's style of Hatha.

I also did not imply anything is copyrighed by Iyengar or anything else. A teacher cannot for example, co;yright physics. He/She can copyright their own approach to teaching the principles that are known to be identical. But in comparing different presentations of yoga, I find identical terms (the ancient ones) used in descriptions of actions and patterns that are not the same, to my eye. I have at some point read what Yogani wrote, and I have read what Iyengar wrote. I'm not actually asking which one is true, because I don't think any of us have the archaeological knowledge to evaluate this in detail. Allowing for the variaiton of linguistic expression in English and other natural languages, I am asking if anyone knows both approaches intimately enough to illustrate the common underlying reality, which seems obscured by language.

For me, I practice Yogani's method. I have read Iyengar's method and experimented with it a little, but without a teacher (not a pranayama teacher!) to help me with full understanding.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000