New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  08:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Having seen the screening of this movie it is very inspirational. The music is wonderful have ordered both products today. Have been waiting for this to come out hope this is useful to someone.

AWAKE: The Life of Yogananda DVD Movie now Available on Amazon for preorder release Oct 6th. Avaialable for preorder on Amazon $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...page_o00_s01

AWAKE: The Life of Yogananda CD music from the Movie Available now on Amazon. $14.00

http://www.amazon.com/Awake-Yoganan...gy_74_text_z

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  1:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  12:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this I can't wait to see this as I was so inspired by the book and so disappointed by the SRF lessons. By the way - it was a separate thread but I ordered the updated Jonathan Livingston Seagull book and enjoyed it. Mixed feelings on the fourth chapter....and loved reading his thought process on it.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  08:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are very welcome Beehive. I travelled over 150 miles to see the screening and was not disappointed.

It is very well done and there are actual movies of the era within the movie. I know what you mean about the lessons and agree with you 1000% and then some concerning them.

What you will see is some pretty rare footage and photographs of that bygone era and get a feeling of that masters presence that may surprise you. Yes there can be no doubt Paramahansa Yogananda was indeed a Master and all in all it is very well presented without being too devotee over the top.

In other words this is not a piece of stinking propaganda or advertisement for SRF. No it is done in very good taste and if SRF draws a few more followers well that is ok too.

It is like this; true devotees of Yogananda not organizations put this together it can bee seen in the loving attention to detail to be closer to their beloved Ishta Paramahansa Yogananda.

I have been fortunate in that I have known and been taught by more than one person who knew Paramahansa Yogananda personally and they all hold him in the highest regard and not just for there own agenda, no it is genuine and with awe.

There are interesting things like when he was ran out of Miami Florida by the intolerance and rampant racism. He was lucky not to have been murdered as the Sheriff who ran him out of town was later convicted of murder.

Dangerous times dangerous place.

What I like best about the movie was the music and the humanity of the spirituality of life itself, no matter what you believe or practice this is a very human story.

Do not be surprised while watching this if your Prana blooms with bliss within you.

The music of the movie CD is supposed to arrive tomorrow will update thread with opinion of it.

Edited by - So-Hi on Sep 10 2015 11:13:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  1:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I should give it a look!
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  2:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads-up So-Hi. I can't wait to see it!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this in a movie theater when it was first released. Very well made. I learned some stuff from his life that I didn't know from the autobiography or his other writings.

Highly recommend it. Thank you for the post, So-Hi.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Audio CD Arrived today listening to it as this is being typed it is an incredibly enjoyable compilation of Indian music, Chants in English and the biggest surprise of all they actually have speeches of Paramahansa Yogananda in between tracks. Blew me away to hear him speak was not expecting that at all.

There is some more modern stuff too do not know what it is called but it is good. Nice Flute work also.

This is a must have.

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awake the DVD is shipping today from Amazon for those who pre-ordered, according to Amazon mine will be delivered tomorrow, after watching will give a brief review.
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine just arrived!
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  12:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Watched the DVD last night and as always it is so nice to see Paramahansa Yogananda's beautiful face in motion not just a still photograph but to see and hear him talk and move and those eyes it is just wonderful.

I will be watching this many many times. the DVD is good but it is no where near as moving as being in the same room with other Kriyaban’s, with shared devotion. If the screening is still going on it would be a good idea to go to one of the public screenings to get the full effect.

All in all well worth the purchase price for the DVD highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  10:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoyed it too. I don't have SRF experience - I just loved Autobiography of a Yogi. And I definitely agree it did NOT feel like an SRF propaganda piece.

Yogananda's power and love are unmistakeable. This historical footage is what really made the difficulty of what he did here in the US come alive. And how truly remarkable that he was able to do as much as he did during that era. If you ever need yet another reminder that even the great spirits don't have an easy road, this will do it for you.

The part when he started writing around the clock of course made me think of all Yogani has written here.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you So-Hi for the thread and thanks to all for the reviews :)

Hope the movie will be available in other countries aswell (=
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Thank you So-Hi for the thread and thanks to all for the reviews :)

Hope the movie will be available in other countries aswell (=

You are welcome, I took a look at the SRF website and it looks like it is not available in most of Europe. Oddly enough there are subtitles in different languages.

http://bookstore.yogananda-srf.org/...f-yogananda/

and here

http://bookstore.yogananda-srf.org/...gananda-dvd/

quote:
Please note that due to contractual obligations we will not be able to accept orders from the following countries at this time: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Quebec (only) Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, and The Vatican. We will announce further information about Awake showings and DVD availability in those countries very soon.

When looking at different countries Amazon Stores I see the CD and book but not the Movie.

The reason for this is apparent they "THE MOVIE MAKERS" are still raking in money doing live screenings.

Look below

http://www.awaketheyoganandamovie.com/

Australia: http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...of-yogananda

New Zealand: http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...of-yogananda

Germany: http://mindjazz-pictures.de/kinotermine/

Just looks like the movie makers "NOT SRF" want to do the live screenings before releasing the DVD in different countries.

Have to admit I agree with this decision the live screenings are well worth going to.

Edited by - So-Hi on Oct 12 2015 12:05:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

orangesky

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  7:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!!! Thank you, So-Hi, for the link with the live screenings in Germany! Really
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  7:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links :) Then we have to wait a little longer, np :P At least it can be viewed in some cities already (=
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  9:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to watch the screening here in Vancouver a few months ago and literally was the last person they turned away at the overflow line!

Had a lovely discussion with a fellow seeker who was probably 30 years my elder, so I soaked up his unique wisdom and was happy that fate worked as it did that night.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I am in California for business. A friend tells me about the SRF Encinitas site and I am close by so I stop by for 30 minutes on my drive to LA and soak up some of the beauty and vibes of the place where Yogananda himself walked.

Then the same friend gets me to go to a few days later to the SRF headquarters on Mount Washington with him, which leads to going to see Yogananda's crypt, as well as later the SRF Lakeside Shrine where we at first also see closed doors but fate intervens and we get a private tour end the day in meditation and kirtan at the temple. We see the Awake CD that day in the gift shop but the DVD is not yet available.

On the last day of my trip my flight is delayed, so I take my wife to see the Lakeside Shrine, we barely have time but we go anyway. We go into the gift store and they tell us that the Awake DVD has just arrived!!!

Soooo, long story short, I finally got to see it, and it was worth the wait, especially given the somehow seemingly divine intervention in the way it all happened.

Agreed with all here, it was so well done, not too over the top and just a loving tribute to a Self-realized Master.

I am still an adherent to the idea that the guru is in you and this is the most convenient path for the busy lives of householders, but my trip and this video gave me new appreciation for what true gurus did for their followers

Edited by - technoyogi on Oct 13 2015 9:58:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  1:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by technoyogi

I tried to watch the screening here in Vancouver a few months ago and literally was the last person they turned away at the overflow line!

Had a lovely discussion with a fellow seeker who was probably 30 years my elder, so I soaked up his unique wisdom and was happy that fate worked as it did that night.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I am in California for business. A friend tells me about the SRF Encinitas site and I am close by so I stop by for 30 minutes on my drive to LA and soak up some of the beauty and vibes of the place where Yogananda himself walked.

Then the same friend gets me to go to a few days later to the SRF headquarters on Mount Washington with him, which leads to going to see Yogananda's crypt, as well as later the SRF Lakeside Shrine where we at first also see closed doors but fate intervens and we get a private tour end the day in meditation and kirtan at the temple. We see the Awake CD that day in the gift shop but the DVD is not yet available.

On the last day of my trip my flight is delayed, so I take my wife to see the Lakeside Shrine, we barely have time but we go anyway. We go into the gift store and they tell us that the Awake DVD has just arrived!!!

Soooo, long story short, I finally got to see it, and it was worth the wait, especially given the somehow seemingly divine intervention in the way it all happened.

Agreed with all here, it was so well done, not too over the top and just a loving tribute to a Self-realized Master.

I am still an adherent to the idea that the guru is in you and this is the most convenient path for the busy lives of householders, but my trip and this video gave me new appreciation for what true gurus did for their followers

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  08:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Big Surprise!!! The movie is now on Netflix here in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yippee!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

also had the luck to watch it in a theater in my city last sunday! :)

Liked the atmosphere the movie created very much. Especially the meeting with Yukteswar was always magical and energetically intensely perceivable! Also very interesting was the glassy eyes of Yogananda, most probably when entering into Nirvikalpa Samadhi. Never saw that picture on the net before.

What was missing is:
- his encounters with all the amazingly great masters including the life stories of Lahiri Mahasaya and others
- the movie lost a lot of potential by not visualizing Yogananda's first entry into savikalpa samadhi + nirvikalpa samadhi by the help of his guru
- the kriya yoga practitioner connection has not become visible as it is happening in the book
- nearly all magical happenings of the book were missing

There is potential to create a very long movie or even a series season with several episodes. Still some good vibe was coming through, Yogananda's state in different pictures was clearly perceivable and very nice.

Some side notes to the happening here:

The theater was not a main one for holliwood movies, but only for altenative and less known movies. A lot of kriya friends had gathered to see the movie (from different lineages) and quite a long queue was there. Some minutes before the begining me and two friends were coming to the theater, seeing the queue we were lucky to see others already close to the ticket seller. Taking the movement I directly jumped to them, getting 5 more tickets for others. A lady behind me said, hey, "if you get the last tickets, they are for me!". "Don't worry, I'll look for you to get your tickets" was the reply here. After getting the tickets, the seller announced, that everything is sold out and the other 50+ people still waiting were shocked :O

Somehow we lost track of that lady and went into the movie room. The sister of Mangalananda was already sitting there, greeting me and others. Somehow it became clear, that more people got a ticket than seats were available. Me and a friend thought, no problem, the stairs will do the job :P The ads started and suddenly a security man came in and said, "you can't sit on the stairs" and asked us to come out. I thought, ok something is not fine with this (lady karma still open :P). Then suddenly the man changed his serious face and blinked with one eye and told me, "please don't tell, I will open a new movie room for you ;)" Surprised and happily we came back to the entrance of the cinema and saw an even bigger group. By grace or profit reasons (or both :P) another movie has been canceled and that room was now opened for a second in parallel Awake stream :D And that room was much bigger and nicer aswell. Directly taking seat in the best seats, we were watching the different folks of the city having interest in our dear Yogananda. Age-wise all were a little or a lot older than us (especially my friend is always hopefully looking for younger kriya yoginis ;)), but what to do, Yogananda's message is several decades old aswell :P

Sitting there suddenly I perceived Mangalananda's sister, having her attention on that room, although she was in the first room. And then an immense absorption started to dawn upon me, filling the whole space. The last 1-2 years I had already observed the fast progress of this woman, but again was suprised how intensly she could go into samadhi and melt the whole cinema into silent presence.

Then watching the movie it was said, that Yogananda had several talks in the public and mostly they were overly crowded and filled with twice the capacity or more of the places. Even after his maha samadhi it seems like nothing has changed. Yogananda comes to the cinemas and they are fuller than full just to see him and hear his voice!

With this greetings to the timeless masters,
thank you for all the inspiritation
and happy & loving practice to all! :)

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What was missing is:
- his encounters with all the amazingly great masters including the life stories of Lahiri Mahasaya and others
- the movie lost a lot of potential by not visualizing Yogananda's first entry into savikalpa samadhi + nirvikalpa samadhi by the help of his guru
- the kriya yoga practitioner connection has not become visible as it is happening in the book
- nearly all magical happenings of the book were missing

I do not think it was missing from this particular movie as this was done more as a documentary using actual footage as much as possible sticking to established outside world evidenced happenings and they did go out on a limb with the person portraying Lahiri Mahasaya.

Showing his personal moments with his Guru would have been done by a pair of stand ins and in this release would have been in poor taste.

Besides that it was more focused on the Adult Yogananda already accomplished in Sadhana and his time in the U.S.

Remember the Kriya Yoga practitioner leads a mostly private life so again not missing.

Nearly all the magical happenings in the book were missing again rightly so, that book ahem is a work of many hands.

Now if someone were to do his life story following the book it would be really good, maybe sprinkling in some footage here and there. This documentary really did the best thing it could have and that was sticking to the recorded facts and as far as the era those were the times; the times we live in now will one day be long ago also.

So I say make another movie follow the book make it awesome for certain I would enjoy it and while you are at it lets make a movie of the secrets of wilder also I would love to see that.

Thanks for the review and sharing your life experience with us Holy, it was a similar experience to my own but even more interesting.

Hmmm come to think of it how is the Audio Book release of the Secrets of Wilder coming still on target for December release on the plus forums Yogani?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  10:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

Hmmm come to think of it how is the Audio Book release of the Secrets of Wilder coming still on target for December release on the plus forums Yogani?

Hi So-Hi:

We ran into some tech difficulties so it might slip into 2016. But we're working on it and it is coming! Thanks for asking.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just watched Awake on Netflix, Yogananda was a personification of love. In my eyes like Jesus.
It was a surprise that also George Harrison and Krishna Das showed up.
Both are very special to me.

Edited by - Charliedog on Nov 06 2015 2:58:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  4:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awake =
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  07:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is too bad I was really looking foreward to it, oh well patience. By the way I think you would have a wonderful movie on your hands if produced. Please do think about it.
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

Hi So-Hi:

We ran into some tech difficulties so it might slip into 2016. But we're working on it and it is coming! Thanks for asking.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000