AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama feels too fast or too slow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  10:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I started to do pranayama and when I breathe like I normally would, it feels too fast. When I deliberatly slow down my breath, heart rate goes up and it feels too slow. Should I slow down my breath and control it, or not?

I also have trouble with the visualisation part of the exercise.

When does pranayama "stabilize"? What does that mean?

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Microcosm,

A very good question.

I will start with the visualization question. I always had trouble with the visualization aspect of pranayama. Many do. For some it is easier to feel the prana moving up and down the spine. Sometimes it may be a combination of the two in a practice. Maybe it starts off with see and goes by feel the rest of the way or vice versa.

The point is to not worry about it. It is driven by your intent more than anything else.

The same is how fast it goes. It may start off fast, just like when we start meditating our breathing is a little quicker but as we settle down and get lost in the practice our breathing will slow down also.

So just follow along in your mind, up and down the spine and forget about anything else. don't worry about the speed or feel or seeing it. Just do your best and know that what your doing is ok.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello microcosm.

Just relax into the practice, relax into it let go into it, if you feel a tension in the body while doing it just let it go.

The breathing will regulate itself and as time goes by and you have done this over and over it will become easier. Everything has a clunky stage when we are learning something new.

Here is something you can try first find your root with your attention touch yourself there if you have to, get a good feel for where the root is. Remember the feel of that point now do the same for your brow touch yourself there and remember the feel.

If you have someone who will be okay with what you are doing ask them to run their finger up and down the back of your spine a few times remember the feel.

So we know the brow is where you are going and where you want to be when the inhalation finishes, this is your destination so inhale and focus on the feeling of your destination feel if you can feel stillness there and inhale up to that still point at the brow.

Once there focus on the root feel the stillness there and exhale into that.

These are the two destinations driving a car is more about knowing your destination that watching the tires roll on the road. It is like this here also. Seek your end points one day you will feel more but for now this is more than enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000