Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Kundalini is ignorance.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kembolini

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  3:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The above is a statement by Sri K Pattabhi Jois.

To begin.

What is ignorance?

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think he is talking about the fog of ingorance that we present our selves with as being real by raising our spiritual awarensess we gain gradual control of of all our senses and the fog is lifted to reveal that we are unconditioned spirit ,soul ,essence atman,whatever is your given term .the gita is the book to read it has all your questions and many of your answers a very nice version is found on itunes called healing sounds and verses read by deepak chopra i think this narration is very good and also quite correct
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  10:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent response kumar.

quote:
What is ignorance?

Inability to see our true divine nature. Thinking we are in control.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  10:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yoga is the taking the boarders of your ignorance and expanding them. in the end you shouldnt know anything. not even whats in or out. empty like a child
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  10:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No idea what Jois meant. There's not enough context. But I agree with it, for my own reasons.

Kundalini is the thing seekers seek. It's the big, explosive, transformative experience which we sense at the end of the yellow brick road. Even non-seekers seek it, in their way. People note that there's a "hole" which can't be filled. Money, power, sex, alcohol, drugs, etc. are famous for never quite filling the gaping hole. Kundalini, and only kundalini, fills the hole.

We get a taste of it with orgasm, and with pleasure and triumphs of all sorts. But just a fleeting taste. That's why people go nuts with addictions and the rest; trying, with futility, to nail it down. Eventually you may figure out to do spiritual practice (or loving service), and eventually fill the hole and ring the bell with kundalini. But then what?

In the end, kundalini is just another thing, another experience. An exceptional one...the ultimate experience. But it's just an experience, and it, too, waxes and wanes like all appearances. And if you're still focused on gathering appearances, you're not unclenching into silence. Silence is beyond appearance (or, more precisely, BEFORE appearance), while appearance is shiny and catchy. Like a TV blaring over the bar, appearance easily captures our attention. And kundalini is the appearance everyone subconsciously hankers for. It's appearance numero uno.

Kundalini arises when we surrender. We'd previously seen that when we try to fill ourselves up, we only feel emptier and emptier. But here we discover that by emptying out, we are filled. And emptiness is literally unremarkable. There's nothing to feel or experience in surrender, in emptiness. Kundalini is (paradoxically) the experience not of surrender, but of what's being surrendered. And that's interesting! We can grab at that, or we can let it go as part of the surrender.

If you grab, you may as well be playing blackjack in Atlantic City, because you're back to attaching to appearances; to this-or-thatness. As you unclench into surrender, kundalini is the other side of the coin. It's the relative motion of the train passing on the opposite track. It's the full brunt of the something you're unclenching from into nothingness.

If kundalini captures your attention and re-launches your captivation with experience, there's nothing wrong with that. But it is certainly ironic, because you wouldn't know kundalini if you didn't have a burning desire to surrender into silence. Once you touch silence, getting hooked, in that very moment, back to catchy experience is hilarious, really. And perfectly fine. It's just not time yet. But be clear on the choice that's been made. It's ironic that we consider kundalini a spiritual attainment. Attainment (or, more precisely, the attainer) is the thing being let go of. Kundalini's the most tempting possible thing to hold on to (or not). "I HAVE ATTAINED KUNDALINI!" Woops! Welcome back!

You can easily see it in terms of the biblical concept of "temptation". Unfortunately, that concept has become burdened with a moralistic right/wrong overlay which is totally unhelpful.

Silent awareness thought it might be fun to daydream itself some entertaining distraction. Silent awareness immersed in that distraction with such relish that it forgot it was Silent awareness. Silent awareness suffered in that forgetting, and struggled to "journey back" to silent awareness (which it always was). The distraction keeps tempting its attention, but there's nothing evil about it. Just pain in having forgotten; in getting so completely engrossed in the movie that you forget it's just a movie.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 18 2015 5:04:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  4:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe the marriage of the the sun and the moon is the most blissfull union ,the creative ,the sustained ,then the transformation ,are all one yet theses states need to exist in the play of maya to produce the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  5:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see such significance. I like to watch movies, but I don't identify with them so utterly that I forget myself. I enjoy them for what they are.

"Stuff" is always catchier than silence. The flickering images always attract greater attention than the neutral unchanging screen. The whole undertaking is set up for our entertainment and delight, and there's certainly no reason not to enjoy it. But a high price is paid when we forget we're not actually IN the movie; that the plot's not happening to us.

All "stuff" is movie. Everything that comes and goes is movie. Kundalini is movie. Silence is unchanging, unmoving, undying. It's that which watches the movie.

I wouldn't call the movie, or even over-immersion in the movie, "ignorance". I don't see that binary judgement as the least bit appropriate. But plenty of people do over-compensate by spitting at the dream which profoundly sucked all of us in for so long, and that's where I'd imagine Jois is coming from when he equates kundalini with ignorance.

But, yep, sun, moon, pot, and pan....the real and the imagined, the pleasure and the pain all are unity unless one THINKS about it!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 18 2015 5:33:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  5:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has God a sense of humour?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  05:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To be....or not to be.....
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Don't grasp" isn't the same instruction as "Disregard".

In fact, one can ardently embrace without grasping in the least.
Go to Top of Page

kembolini

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  04:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ignorance is not knowing your true nature. Ignorance is not knowing what life is. Ignorance is answering the question "Who am I".

Once knowledge is attained of your true nature then kundalini is what?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  09:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

It is the energy through which everything came into manifestation. After even a glimpse of true divine nature, it starts purifying ones body mind -deconstructing, realigning, our sense of self and the world.
Go to Top of Page

kembolini

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  11:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

quote:

It is the energy through which everything came into manifestation. After even a glimpse of true divine nature, it starts purifying ones body mind -deconstructing, realigning, our sense of self and the world.

If our true nature is universal energy/unconditioned spirit then the pursuit of unlocking this energy/kundalini is surely bizarre?
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes a key is needed to open the door.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  8:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

quote:

If our true nature is universal energy/unconditioned spirit then the pursuit of unlocking this energy/kundalini is surely bizarre?

Indeed. I think this is - what the big cosmic joke is! The only way to totally get it is twice daily practices. I have days when I get it and days I don't.
Have you tried releasing your questions in Samyama?

Edited by - sunyata on May 07 2015 8:47:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  1:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Sunyata!

All my life experiences have lead me to learn what you just posted:

"Indeed. I think this is - what the big cosmic joke is! The only way to totally get it is twice daily practices. I have days when I get it and days I don't.
Have you tried releasing your questions in Samyama?"

Edited by - BillinL.A. on May 09 2015 1:44:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  09:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BillinL.A..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000