Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 New Starter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buz66

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  07:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,
I've just recently bought the book for deep meditation and have been practicing for 3 weeks now, first thing in the morning and early evening. I've chosen to do this to try and bring some relaxed positive energy into the home (Both my wife and I work and we have 2 kids, so time for ourselves to unwind is about an hour or less a day). I haven't really got a specific issue with the DM but I'm just unsure things are going the way they should. The mantra isn't sitting easily, I'm not feeling any benefits and I guess the main thing is I'm feeling very aware of everything when I'm meditating and have no feeling of going inward in the slightest (not even sure if I'm supposed to feel that!). Anyhow, I'm sticking to it but just could do with some clarification/help. Thanks.

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  08:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello buz66 & welcome!

Congratulations on your commitment to twice daily sits. At the beginning stages it is all about getting used to the silence and the mantra, and learning to gently release anything that intrudes on that. If you find thoughts or distractions entering into that space, acknowledge it is happening and let it go, and continue with the mantra. It will become easier over time. Consistency is the key.

Don't worry about results. They will come. Your mind is used to distraction, is the agent of it! Your twice-daily sits are designed to train the mind to yield to the inner silence, so the Witness may come forward. The answers you seek reside in the silence and this process will teach you how to surrender. I guarantee DM will make you a better parent and partner.

Good luck and check back in!

Edited by - Dogboy on Sep 25 2014 09:11:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

buz66

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dogboy. Appreciate the advice. I'll certainly keep checking in. Cheers
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome buz66!
I recognise your account of the first few weeks of meditation. It started like that for me too. So I think you are doing great. Could be weeks or months before you realise things are in fact happening.
Good advice from Dogboy. I'll join in his good wishes to you.
Go to Top of Page

Blaskhyrk

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is wonderful that everyone here works on themselves but the discussions about the results of the work cannot be maintained as they are indeed underscribable.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  10:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Blaskhyrk
Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 : 09:00:42 AM
It is wonderful that everyone here works on themselves but the discussions about the results of the work cannot be maintained as they are indeed underscribable.

It's like describing red without using the word 'red'!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  05:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Buz,

With respect to no feeling of going in-wards, here are a couple of pointers typically sources of error in beginners

- DM is all about relaxing, not concentrating - so relax on the mantra repetition. It should not be "loud" inside your mind - just easy, an easy favouring.
- No need for clear pronunciation or a particular way of sounding the mantra.
- Look for results in your daily life, not during the sitting

Good luck with your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

buz66

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody. I have to say Sey, I'm finding it more and more difficult to just relax and allow the mantra to just flow, it feels forced, like I'm having to force the mantra into the forefront as I'm getting more focused on thoughts or breath or posture. I feel at the moment I'm getting worse rather than better. As I said before I'm very aware of everything that is going on with my focus drifting from this to that but less to the mantra. Just to note, I don't feel like I'm stressing out about finding this difficult, I feel easy and calm, but it just doesn't feel right at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  1:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm finding it more and more difficult to just relax and allow the mantra to just flow, it feels forced, like I'm having to force the mantra into the forefront as I'm getting more focused on thoughts or breath or posture.

It's difficult because of the forcing. The mantra loops in the background; forcing it, or anything in DM, to the forefront should immediately be surrendered. Strong focus is also surrendered. Scan the interior of DM with an effortless spirit. If you notice the mantra has dropped off, pick it up and keep going. Seems too simple, no? . The forcing is the mind trying to have a say in the (still) new process for you.

So what is "surrender"? Imagine holding a helium balloon by the string. Your attention is holding it. Let go of the string by relaxing the attention and watch it float away. Practice surrender every chance you can in DM.

Edited by - Dogboy on Oct 02 2014 1:08:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are absolutely right there, forcing the mantra is not good meditation. If you can't easily pick it up, then don't, just let the stream of thoughts, emotions, body sensation - whatever comes - to simply come and go. You don't hang on to any of the thoughts, sensations etc, just let them come and let them go, and when you feel you can easily go back to the mantra, do so. If you lose it again very soon, that is fine. That is good meditation - the Witness develops by acknowledging the contents of the mind without identifying with any of them. There is probably a lot of clearing up happening, so you are making progress.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  01:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Osho puts it like this:
You don't go out to play saying "I will go out and play because I want happiness". If you are focusing on happiness it probably will not happen. You just play and at the end you realise that happiness has sneaked up on you. You are tired and happy.
Same with meditation and Stillness/Bliss

Sey

Go to Top of Page

buz66

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  11:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I have found that in my last 2 sittings I have taken on board what you said and have certainly found the anecdote of the helium balloon really helpful thanks Dogboy. I'm finding that observing the mantra seems to feel right and just learning to let go of anything else that pops in there. I just wonder when I find I'm no longer observing the mantra do I actively start the mantra up again, because this feels like the opposite of observing the mantra? I have to say Sey that I'm not generally focusing on happiness but more trying to find a situation where it felt organic or natural and I was finding that the DM wasn't giving me this and was sure I was approaching it wrongly. Thanks again for all your advice though.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just wonder when I find I'm no longer observing the mantra do I actively start the mantra up again,

Simply (not 'actively') pick it up again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000