Journal of a Disgruntled Mystic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  11:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Caves! We got underwater caves. People go scuba diving in them. It's risky business. My co-worker's uncle actually perished during an underwater dive in a cave. It's kind of sad, but he also died doing what he loved.

But I would love to check out the wilderness of Indiana. I drove through your state one time on a cross country road trip to California. Next time I'll stop and enjoy the scenery (and give you that massage I've promised)!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  02:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a cave in northern Florida near the panhandle. It's not underwater.

It's called Florida Caverns State Park in Mariana.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  06:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard about Mariana. I would definitely like to make it there.
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a retreat? If it is sitting and meditating all day you guys know as well as I do that I can't do that.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  4:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a retreat is a gathering for practices. But we don't meditate all day. There are short sessions with long breaks in between, including meals, grounding activity, socializing, and plenty of rest. It is very smooth and self-paced. You can sit out any sessions you wish. At the same time, if even meditating once a day is too much, then yes, a retreat is probably too much. But it's always something to keep on the horizon. There's plenty of time to get settled. At your own speed.
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  5:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So far my practices have been 2 sits about 10min each trying not to do too much this early like you told me before.

Been trying to figure out how you guys do grounding when it gets hot out ..lol

Edited by - JR8036 on Jul 23 2016 5:16:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  5:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JR8036

Been trying to figure out how you guys do grounding when it gets hot out ..lol

Swimming. Walking in the shade. Playing guitar indoors. Reading. Writing. Going to church or AA. Giving or getting a massage. Doing creative movements in my room. Studying anatomy and physiology. Dancing. Singing. Conversing/chatting with friends/acquaintances. Playing with and taking care of animals. Watching a movie or show.

Doing yard work for family, sweating profusely, and enjoying the heat. You know, those kind of things.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  6:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  01:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Incomprehensible Scope of Existence

We all know that we live in one reality. Oneness is a word and concept that is gaining traction in popular vocabulary. The number one implies unity. The U.S. Constitution speaks of "one nation under God". Bob Marley sang: "One love, one heart...let's get together and feel alright."

Yet, within the one, there are two, and three, and four, and onward into infinity. For example, we live on one planet, with seven continents. We look at one sky, which holds many stars. Each person has one body, with many parts.

Is there a theoretical or actual limit to how much a particular number of any one thing can grow and increase? No, there is not. There is infinite potential for any number to multiply and divide, without end. So what is perhaps most incomprehensible is this limitless scope of addition that is occurring within a field of oneness. Fortunately, there is also subtraction, which is a taking away that balances out the addition. To appear, and disappear. To grow, and decay. To manifest, and dissolve.

Now if we take away (subtract) the one from itself (1 minus 1), we get zero, which is equivalent to nothing (emptiness, lack of form, nonexistence). Zero, when isolated by itself, is the only number that doesn't lend itself to identification. You can say with a level of truth and accuracy: "Look at that one bird," or "look at those two birds". But you can't say: "Look at that zero bird." The zero bird is nonexistent. The zero bird is just an absence of one, or two, or however many there might be. In a way, this implicit absence within the number zero is equally incomprehensible to the magnitude and range of all other increasing numbers. Somehow, the zero-ness is related to the infinity of oneness.

When numbers increase, we add zeros to them. 1, 10, 100, 1000. Even though zero represents nothingness, we use that symbolic nothingness to denote an increase in abundance, which is paradoxical, to say the least. A string of zeros, with no other numbers preceding them, doesn't mean much at all. 00000 birds? It's just emptiness repeating itself. Even if you counted the zeros in that particular string (there are 5), it would still be rather meaningless. But, for the sake of argument, let's say there are five instances of zero, which would mean there are five instances of nothingness. But five instances of zero is truly no different than seven instances of zero. There is no shape or form to distinguish five zero-birds from seven zero-birds. They are identical, by virtue of their non-existence. They are the same, because of their emptiness.

But if we say, there are 500,000 birds, then we now have five hundred thousand instances of one bird. There are five hundred thousand singularities, and addition or multiplication has created a difference between them. The one has become the many by incorporating the zero into its form. So, zero, when added to other numbers, does lend itself to identification.

Clearly, the one must eventually draw from the zero to become limitless (infinitely many).

Is the zero the source of the one, and of all other numbers? Well, in the classical order of numbers, zero precedes one, so it would certainly seem to be the origin of all.

The shape of the number zero is a circle—self-contained, enclosed, with no fractures or divisions in its line. The shape of the infinity symbol is a twisted circle that also does not break from its line, but rather loops itself in a way that is also self-contained.

Hence, stillness is equivalent to infinity, as the fountain of creation. The Zero is the One, and the One is the Zero. And the One are the Many, and the Many are the One.

0 = 1 = #8734;

End of line.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  01:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[I guess the program didn't accept the infinity symbol I pasted. "#8734;" is supposed to be an infinity symbol after the equal sign. ]
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Um. Ok you lost me. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  11:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a little metaphysical number theory. Twiddling the thumbs. Speculation and philosophy. Quantitative contemplation, if you will.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll do those things too with numbers and words, it gives me insights. Insight in things I can not explain.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If creativity=Enlightenment then you have reached it. Don't worry about the rest.
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Twiddling the thumbs part I understand and do. lol
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  8:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

I'll do those things too with numbers and words, it gives me insights. Insight in things I can not explain.

It's fun, isn't it? To deconstruct things a little bit and look at the building blocks. It's funny how it all ends up coming from stillness (the zero). Very mysterious.

quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

If creativity=Enlightenment then you have reached it.Don't worry about the rest.

Mehanat Ko Faal Mitho Huncha.

quote:
Originally posted by JR8036

Twiddling the thumbs part I understand and do.

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:

If creativity=Enlightenment then you have reached it.Don't worry about the rest.

Mehanat Ko Faal Mitho Huncha.

haha...Ho Bodhi Mitho Huncha.
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  10:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mitho Huncha? Is that English? Doesn't sound like it.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  10:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nepali.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  03:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
quote:
It's fun, isn't it? To deconstruct things a little bit and look at the building blocks. It's funny how it all ends up coming from stillness (the zero). Very mysterious.

quote:

Creativity comes from stillness too you know. Without stillness we can not create. So I was wondering artists must have natural inner silence. All creations come from zero, the source. Nothingness full of potential, the never-ending now.

Before life became yoga I was an artist and worked mostly alone. I now believe I was meditating, the go with the flow in my work, before I knew anything about meditation

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  4:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Before life became yoga I was an artist and worked mostly alone. I now believe I was meditating, the go with the flow in my work, before I knew anything about meditation

I feel the same, that I was meditating even before starting formal practices. What kind of art did you create, Charliedog?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  03:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Soft sculpture, mostly animals, just rolled into it, I was creating since I was a kid, drawing, painting, ceramics etc. and then my soft sculptured animals became successful especially in UK, USA and Japan. When the internet took flight, traveling ( avery nice part of my job was doing shows) became less and less, more and more orders came in true my website, so I was kind of stuck in my studio, working. Then creativity became pressure and production, so one day I could not stand the pressure anymore and then the sudden awakening took place. Very short said.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Animal sculptures! Do you have any pictures of your creations that you can share?

By the way, your yoga website is looking excellent. You offer a full array of options, from beach yoga to creative sessions to breath therapy and more. It reminds me of Yogani's insistence that we must multi-channel our efforts. Well done, Charliedog.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charliedog- Yes, please share your yoga website and your arts too.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  1:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dear Bodhi I created also the website, the creativity will not be lost, it just changes form and there is no pressure inside anymore.

My Art&Stuff website belongs to history for some years. Nice memories but there is no desire to go backwards. Since this is AYP I will PM you some pictures if you are interested.

Because of the experience that creative sessions will give insights in oneself I offer them too. I see yoga in a big picture, as the Journey of Life. All we do we can do with full awareness and at the same time we can be aware of the breath. Life becomes yoga then.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000