Journal of a Disgruntled Mystic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  10:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Prettiness

'Tis very important at times to do very little at all
To sit in the grass, quietly, being absorbed by the ground
To hear a dog barking in the distance
To see the shimmering of tree leaves that quiver in response to the passing mood of the wind

Take notice of the details that often go unnoticed:
the finer details of pixelation and granularity
the tiny ant crawling on a twig
the way perception is glazed and tinted by emotion and memory
the shades of color and texture that might be unappreciated by the cold mechanics of a numb, robotic heart

Ugliness

My dad is in jail—again. I've lost count of how many times he's been locked up in a cage.

That's what happens when someone loses mastery of their mind. Their will power and their command of the senses go astray. The sorcerer's apprentice flies off the handle. The dark magic takes on a life of its own, and it's off to the races. And that's why active surrender must be structured in a particular way, because it's not a relinquishing of one's personal will power. It's an alignment of personal will power with the grand plan. It's very important to regain a foothold of empowerment, rather than to sedate, lobotomize, or anesthetize oneself any further.

I've done all I can for him. I've laid out my whole story, and my whole strategy, on my recovery website. I've withheld nothing. I've used my in-depth experience in AA and elevated it to a higher level, and there is zero residual guilt or doubt in my mind. There is only blazing forward, and welcoming anyone that wants to jump on board.

I continue to watch my dad, two of my brothers, one of my surviving step-sisters, other family members, friends, and acquaintances I've met in recovery—backslide and make little to no progress based on weak programs of action and weak ideologies. It requires substantial momentum to bounce back into the swing of success, and there's not a lot of room for being meek and mild. In my opinion, you have to really amplify the bhakti very soon; otherwise, the gravity of the negative field pulls you back in before you have a chance to catapult into a new dimension of consciousness and being.

It's all about intensity.

Oneness

Tomorrow I attend another day of massage school, and actively surrender to the miracle of touch.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  12:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love to you Bodhi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  01:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you wish at times the power of your love was so strong that you could hug a person really tight and somehow - magically - wash away their sorrows?

Sey
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  09:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You have such a gift of writing for portraying the ebb and flow of life. Your practice is helping them, even though it may not seem so at times.

Edited by - sunyata on Apr 20 2016 09:31:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  09:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your example of "rising above your circumstances" is inspirational; even Jesus had his troubles influencing some his closest followers. Keep the light burning so that one day it may guide them from the darkness. you Cody
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Love to you Bodhi

And to you, Charliedog.

quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

You have such a gift of writing for portraying the ebb and flow of life. Your practice is helping them, even though it may not seem so at times.

It's very reassuring to read that from you, Sunyata. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Don't you wish at times the power of your love was so strong that you could hug a person really tight and somehow - magically - wash away their sorrows?

Definitely. It's called explosive heart syndrome. Those of us with sensual dispositions are often afflicted by it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Your example of "rising above your circumstances" is inspirational; even Jesus had his troubles influencing some his closest followers. Keep the light burning so that one day it may guide them from the darkness.

Your words remind me of the poetry of William Blake:

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

On that note, I just saw the new Jungle Book movie. It's visually stunning, and the animal characters are very well done. I highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  8:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We sat down beneath the big, smiling, blissed-out buddha. His half-shut eyes were clear, unconcerned, and connected to the wide field of emptiness stretching out in all directions.

Eyes amaze me. I see them like torches—glowing, burning, guarding the gates of consciousness and the interior. There is an intensity of light within them that speaks more than words could ever convey. And yet, words complement and accentuate them, and that is why I am compelled to try to relate the deep, inviting miracle which animates those beloved spheres that sparkle luminescently.

If I could dive into the eyes like a swimming pool, I would do it instantly, without hesitation. I would jump in headfirst and penetrate the veil of water and become fully immersed in the liquid element of pure love and genius. I would swim around like a torpedo spiraling towards an ever-deepening target. I would discover all the maneuvers of movement, all the hidden chambers, and all the aquatic life in the underwater territory. Then I would go back for more—always more.

From one, comes two. From nothing, something. From silence, sound. From stillness, vibration.

I can never get enough, give enough, or be enough, so I surrender to my devouring desire, and that is good enough for me.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  05:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyes without speaking
confess
the secrets
of the

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  11:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yessss... Love your poem-insight-articulation, Charliedog.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  2:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sitting down underneath a tree right now and observing the universal continuity of all moments. A bird lands on a power line. Another bird lands on a tree. How many times have I seen that kind of occurrence? Countless times. Yet, each instance is unique in the spacetime continuum--a distinct signature in the sequence of moments unfolding within awareness.

As I just wrote that last paragraph, a man walked up to me and handed me a flyer for a Jiu-Jitsu club in Ybor City. I said: "Oh, I used to take judo from Ed Maley. Do you know him?" He smiled and said: "Of course." The gentleman was also wearing a t-shirt with "Jeet Kune Do" written on the front. Jeet Kune Do means "intercepting fist" and was a style of martial arts created by Bruce Lee. We talked about that for a little while. He seemed to be in a rush to keep handing out flyers, so I didn't get to mention AYP, but he told me to stop by the club later. On the flyer, the club also offers yoga. Guess I'll have to do a little flash presentation of Deep Meditation when I drop in.

Everyday in massage class, I lead the group in a short, silent meditation. After the silence, I do a guided version of samyama out loud (not trying to go too deep or hold the 15-second rhythm, just being a bit more shallow with it). Then we go around the circle so everyone has a chance to offer up a few of their own personal sutras. It's working quite well, and the students are reporting some good symptoms.

However, one of my male classmatess got a little angry and had a little outburst a couple days ago (not during the meditation, but about 30 minutes afterwards), which prompted our teacher to tell him to leave the classroom. I got up and followed him outside, and then proceeded to have a very fruitful conversation with him about the efficiency of directing anger towards his chosen ideal. It was registering in his mind, I could tell. I told him I would go out in the woods with him sometime so we could yell at the top of our lungs without fear of breaking any etiquette. He liked the idea. He cooled down, and we went back into class. I think he apologized to the teacher in private during lunch break, and the rest of the day was pretty smooth and cathartic.

[Here's another synchronicity. After I just finished writing the above paragraph about my classmate who had the outburst, I got a text from him just wanting to hang out and do some fishing. No joke. I'm talking seconds after I just wrote that paragraph. Love it!]

And the sequence of moments continues.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Bodhi your narrative truly inspires
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  8:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  9:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
im·per·son·al

adjective

1. not influenced by, showing, or involving personal feelings.

2. not existing as a person; having no personality.

trans·per·son·al

adjective

• of, denoting, or dealing with states or areas of consciousness beyond the limits of personal identity.

Guess which word I like best when describing stillness and pure bliss consciousness? [Jeopardy music begins playing in background...] I've wagered all my winnings, and the final answer is...transpersonal!

Why? Well, let's explore.

Impersonal utilizes the prefix "im", which means "not" or "opposite of". Transpersonal utilizes the prefix "trans", which means "across", "through", or "beyond". Impersonal has more of an exclusive quality, since the prefix excludes things that are not reminiscent of the root word, whereas transpersonal has more of an inclusive quality, since the prefix includes things that are both beyond and within the root word.

If I describe a rock as an impersonal object, then it lacks any qualities that would link it to personality. However, if I describe the same rock as a transpersonal object, then it can be both beyond and reflective of personality. For instance, a transpersonal description of a rock might be: "The rock has lines carved in its surface that resemble the wrinkles on my grandfather's face." The perception that a rock has a transpersonal relationship to an individual person is based in unity. The perception that a rock has a strictly impersonal relationship to an individual person is based upon an imaginary division in the mind.

So, what is the relationship of stillness to personality? Can it really be impersonal?

Of course not. If a personality indeed springs out of stillness (the source), then the source itself must innately possess qualities of personality in order to create a product that is emanating out of itself. You can't totally separate the art from the artist!

So, if you want to mentally check out of life, and reside in an illusion of attainment about your status of enlightenment, make sure to write and speak in language that is impersonal. However, if you want to ride the wave of ecstatic bliss and keep it totally real, delve into the realm of the transpersonal, and speak the language of truth.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  10:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Each of her toenails were painted a different color—the colors of the rainbow. The students of the class were not allowed to wear open-toe shoes, but she, being a guest teacher and CPR instructor, could display her lovely feet, since she was exempt from any repressive occlusion of the lower phalanges.

She had a sharp wit and dry humor. She had seen some gnarly things. She cared about the welfare of humanity, but she also poked fun at the absurdity of society's less brilliant aspects. Her demeanor was passionate, edgy, and above all, loving. On her key chain was a big, plastic Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh).

She told us that the purpose of CPR isn't to save lives. The purpose of CPR is to oxygenate the brain. Only about 4% of the victims that EMTs perform CPR on will make it out alive. The other 96% are already gone to the other side, or too far gone to be revived.

Same with massage. We don't heal. We facilitate healing. We don't eliminate stress. We loosen people up.

These are professional trades that undo the doer from the get-go. Instant humility. Guaranteed.

Now that's transpersonal.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your writings reflect the evolution that has taken place over the years. Are you still disgruntled?

Edited by - sunyata on Apr 28 2016 09:02:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree
...the deep, inviting miracle which animates those beloved spheres that sparkle luminescently.

If I could dive into the eyes like a swimming pool, I would do it instantly, without hesitation. I would jump in headfirst and penetrate the veil of water and become fully immersed in the liquid element of pure love and genius. I would swim around like a torpedo spiraling towards an ever-deepening target. I would discover all the maneuvers of movement, all the hidden chambers, and all the aquatic life in the underwater territory. Then I would go back for more—always more.

Yes, beautifully written, as always.
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Your writings reflect the evolution that has taken place over the years. Are you still disgruntled?

hehehe...
Love you Sunyata!
Such gentle playfulness
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope I would say he is gruntled now. Hey is that a thing? I'll Bet it could be.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  09:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  10:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gruntled

adjective humorous

pleased, satisfied, and contented

Origin 1930s; back-formation from disgruntled

Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

gruntled

adjective humorous

pleased, satisfied, and contented

Origin 1930s; back-formation from disgruntled

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  2:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep Gruntled to the Max. Good for you
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  3:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm only 10% disgruntled. The other 90% is gruntled, as So-Hi and Charliedog have so skillfully defined.

I'm hoping to achieve a ratio of 7.6% disgruntled/92.4% gruntled by the end of 2016. If I make it to Yogani's age, maybe I can top out at 0.1% disgruntlement, and then save the residual 0.1% for my dying breath. Then poof...the pure gruntledness will be achieved at the moment of mahasamadhi.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samadhi & Charliedog-

quote:
I'm hoping to achieve a ratio of 7.6% disgruntled/92.4% gruntled by the end of 2016. If I make it to Yogani's age, maybe I can top out at 0.1% disgruntlement, and then save the residual 0.1% for my dying breath. Then poof...the pure gruntledness will be achieved at the moment of mahasamadhi.

Good to know your gruntled % is higher and have the percentages figured all the way to mahasamadhi.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  09:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000