Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Is it advisable to give up Pranayama for a while?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  2:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been in this forum under various usernames over the years - that is not important, but the issue is. Which is that I totally totally suck when it comes to attracting women, and I have been wasting many years in a vicious cycle of Pranayama + Meditation -> leads to nocturnal emissions very frequently-> lamenting all day about semen loss -> adds to depression and then I suck even more at attracting woman -> no sex or intimacy -> . . . and repeat cycle.

Yes it is impossible to practice semen cultivation/Brahmacharya without having a woman/women, dissenters please leave this thread alone - argumentations seldom lead anywhere. The only way to avoid nocturnal emissions is to have Tantra and move the energy upward - this is my conviction.

So I have been wondering lately whether I should give up Pranayama and do meditation alone, as Pranayama is the one that causes nocturnal emissions. I only take 5 breaths during Pranayama, each takes about 3 minutes for a total of 15 minutes. This is longer per cycle than what most people do, but it comes naturally to when I concentrate enough. I don't even do Khumbakas for fear of more emissions. I have been wondering if I should break the downward cycle by giving up Pranayama, and focus on getting girls and then take up Pranayama again after succeeding. Getting girls is already hard work, and keep getting old due to depression cycle only makes things even harder.

But I have been regarding Pranayama as sacred if not more sacred than meditation, that's where the difficulty in giving it up lies. On several occasions, if I slept till late in the morning and it is time for Yoga already, I have noticed the body starts doing Pranayama in sleep automatically, with slow long breaths and the attention tracing the spine. So I wonder if would lose on the progress by giving it up.

The other way to break the cycle that I have tried is to stop lamenting about emissions - this worked sometimes, if I force myself to get on with the day without thinking about it. But when the emisson frequency increases like twice a weak or sometimes more, coupled with the knowledge that spiritual progress is not possible with frequent emissions, breaks down even a tough guy.

Would like to hear your opinions.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Jul 13 2014 3:52:45 PM

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  10:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FakeYogi,

I'm not sure about the details, but I suggest that you could try a break from SBP and see what works best for you. It's great that you have been engaged in practices for many years! That inspires me to continue. Some bumps in the road are expected. Nighttime emissions may not be a bad thing in themselves. Is there a way you can view them gratefully, as an opportunity to refine your practices?

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  12:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of pranayama responsible for nocturnal emissions. Are you absolutely certain it is to blame? It would be a shame to give up a practice you clearly enjoy. You are concerned (to the point of depression) that these emissions will hold you back spiritually and socially; this too may not be accurate.

Rather than dismantling your practice based on these assumptions, I suggest not making these emissions an issue at all. Fretting over something you don't have control over (you are asleep after all!) is a waste of time and peace of mind. As Anima suggests, reframe them as 'opportunity' and continue with your spiritual practice. These emissions over time will go away on their own, and are not responsible for your relationship woes. A positive attitude and good self esteem will improve your social life immensely!
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  02:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm certain that Pranayama is the cause of the emissions. It has been clearly mentioned by Yogani that more than an ejaculation per fortnight is to be avoided. One can also intuitively feel the loss of energy after the emission, so I'm surprised you two are mentioning it is nothing to worry about. Kundalini awakening is not possible without semen retention.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Fretting over something you don't have control over (you are asleep after all!) is a waste of time and peace of mind.

Dreams in general are a reflection of what one is emotionally missing during waking life, so it is not correct to say we don't have control over them. Wet dreams in particular are very unusual after adolescence. A grown man getting them is because of the stirring caused by Pranayama and the lack of woman in life. Metaphorically speaking, the Kundalini cannot rise above the sexual center until one has conquered the sexual desire. She will create countless dreams of beautiful damsels night after night. Desperate men without female company are sure to fail the test everytime and disappoint the mother Kundalini. I'm even afraid of the karma of causing this repeated disappointment to someone, and what future effects it might have. Perhaps one such as me should not even attempt Yoga. The wise people who laid down various preparatory steps of transendence (the 8 limbs) before going to sitting practices would have done so precisely for this reason.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Jul 14 2014 03:07:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

nickyryu

France
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  07:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.
I did the "100 days" multiple times, including 200 days+. With and without dual cultivation.
The most important thing is a Sattvic diet, (no chillies/onions, frozen, alcohol, processed, fried, pastries, eating too much...) small amount of fresh cooked meat (with digestive spices, no pork) is allowed as it is the main source of etherical energy used for sublimation in taoism or tantra, (and ayp is a tantric method).
Sublimation cannot happen if you are too much tamasic, there wont be any upward flow of energy.
There is nothing close the efficacity of a Sattvic diet to allow bramacharya. And asanas are more important at this stage of practice than pranayama.
Dual cultivation is not necessary.

As for female attraction yes it is drastically lowered after ejaculation. Your charisma/attraction will greatly improve on the path.

Remember retention is not an achievement nor a spiritual practice by itself.

Edited by - nickyryu on Jul 14 2014 12:19:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  08:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Desperate men without female company are sure to fail the test everytime and disappoint the mother Kundalini. I'm even afraid of the karma of causing this repeated disappointment to someone, and what future effects it might have.

Fake yogi, obviously you are spiritually inclined and Bhakti driven, but labeling yourself as desperate and a disappointment are land mines to progress socially and spiritually. As you are so certain pranayama is the culprit, then go ahead and reduce it and see if it helps. Stumbling as you walk the path doesn't mean you should obsess about the rocks you may encounter ahead, or lament the rocks you've stumbled on before. It is just a stumble after all. Smile, get up, make adjustments, and move forward loving yourself in spite of your falls.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  10:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to advise you "take a few breaths", but that's what you believe to be the problem!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thought occurred to me, regarding making these emissions an opportunity rather than an obstacle, is to offer them up to Mother Kundalini or other chosen ishta in your heart. Regenerate the semen by lovingly rubbing it into your skin or ingesting it, imagine it returning to the source as a gift to your beloved. Framed in that manner, your obstacle has transformed into something powerful.

Edited by - Dogboy on Jul 14 2014 12:44:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

kriyaboy

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  09:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was rereading the fourth chapter of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika recently and something struck me that may be relevant to your question.

On line 21 it states, "He who binds the breath binds the mind, he who binds the mind binds the breath. Then on line 23, "When the breath dissolves the mind dissolves. The mind dissolves where the breath dissolves."

It goes on for several more lines talking only about the mind and the breath. It isn't until line 28 that its states, "When the mind is firm, the breadth is firm, then the semen is firm."

I would interpret the strong emphasize on mind and breadth first to suggest that these are the fundamentals--that is meditation and pranayama. Attempting control sexual energy too soon is not the best approach. So, should you give up pranayama because it is causing wet dreams. My answer would be no.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FakeYogi (Why fake by the way?)

I agree with Anima and Dogboy - it would be good to try and reframe/take a different and positive view of the situation. This is after all a step on your spiritual path. Yes, it is a difficulty. It is also an opportunity to become wiser and better in some way. If you are religious, you can say it is God's gift to you. I'm not saying this from a moralising, but from a pragmatic stance. Lamenting all day about semen loss may be a bigger problem that the loss itself.

I think focusing on meditation for a while would be good. More inner silence will help you see things in a different light. I don't know if I'm reading too much between the lines of your post (that is for you to say) but "getting girls" sounds exactly like the sort of attitude that will send women running a mile. If you relate more to The Witness, you will perhaps be more inclined to see the love of another human being as a gift to be received with gratitude and humility. I think this kind of attitude will put you in a frame of mind that will appeal to women a lot more. But please don't try to fake this one

Does this make sense from where you stand?

I hope your efforts will be soon rewarded with all the spiritual progress you are seeking
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  10:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what type of pranyama and mediation do you do? you need to surrender to god first of all. hand him your life. you trying never got you anything. it has always been him.so if you ask you higher self to take control he will. i recommend doing a lot more pranyama than 15 minutes. i do close to 3 hours of spinal breathing(all the way to bregma) before my pranyama turns into meditation all by itself.( i also work close to 100 hours a week so dont say its not feasible) and i havent had a nocturnal emmission in a very long time. and if i do i wont care. its stupid to care about that. but i was at a point in my early sadhana where i did care so i understand. i personally think you doing so little pranyama and constantly thinking about it every day is what is causing it

Panchanan Bhattacharya said that semen retention was unnatural. i feel if youre single you should try to stay celibate.
1. dont become fanatic
2. dont look at stimulating pictures, commericals, anything
3. trust in Sat.
He will give you a woman if thats what you want. but give the desire to him. meaning dont think about it.

also you conviction about need a woman and needing tantra for moving sexual energy up is absolutely wrong. rid yourself of such notions. im sorry if im being rude and i know i am but at the look of your second post is quite clear you are a very arrogant one. too little pranayama is surely the cause of this. when lahiri was asked how to overcome sexuality completely he replied with (paraphasing) I will not become devoid of sexuality until im in the grave. so you have the super yogi disagreeing with you as well. please empty yourself of all this. i have gone into samadhi the same day as a loss. you have the wrong attitude. that is about it

Edited by - adishivayogi on Jul 28 2014 7:28:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000