Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What's Being Purified Out?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarolynDear

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarolynDear's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I noticed that the lessons talk a lot about purification of our nervous system, and about the symptoms that can arise when purification happens too quickly (irritability, excess energy)-- but I'm just wondering-- what is it exactly that's being purified out of our systems? Karma? Trauma? Dust?

As in-- when I do I cleanse I know that I'm aiming to help various kinds of food and environment-created toxins leave my body. What is it exactly that I'm helping to leave my nervous system when I do AYP?

Thanks!
Carolyn

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarolynDear

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the lessons talk a lot about purification of our nervous system, and about the symptoms that can arise when purification happens too quickly (irritability, excess energy)-- but I'm just wondering-- what is it exactly that's being purified out of our systems? Karma? Trauma? Dust?

As in-- when I do I cleanse I know that I'm aiming to help various kinds of food and environment-created toxins leave my body. What is it exactly that I'm helping to leave my nervous system when I do AYP?

Thanks!
Carolyn

Carolyn,

You will no doubt receive many responses to this question.

Once a bit of spiritual awakening occurs, our bodies begin to yearn to return home to our original source. This exerts a subtle pressure on us, day and night forever. At the first we may not realized it.. we may stumble into AYP to answer the call.

Our bodies are criss-crossed with many nerve cells, all throughout us, not just in the brain. Our bodies are also filled with little roving messengers, called neuropeptides, which also act as little intelligent messengers. Finally, yes, we there are more subtle subcomponents to the body-emotion-mind-awareness system.

As we quiet down, and stop identifying with what we are not.. namely all the thoughts and feelings which we both perceive and do not at first perceive.. the "kinks" in these intricate systems work themselves out.

For example, most of us hold tension in our stomach area throughout the day.. this is an expression in the body musculature, of the tension we hold inside of ourselves, fighting to maintain a separate, limited self, when in fact we are the ocean of pure awareness.

Purification is relaxation, a letting go of false concepts and energies we clench so tightly, out of fear, and resistance to absolute, unlimited, boundless love and joy.

That bounfdless love, joy and knowing is the fruit that AYP can bring, if we are motivated and steady in our practice.

I love you Carolyn,

Kev
Go to Top of Page

CarolynDear

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarolynDear's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kev,

Thanks for your response-- it's cool to think about purification as "a letting go of false concepts and energies which we clench so tightly"-- I look forward to more of this happening.

Yay,
Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  9:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carolyn,
The reason Yogani isn't more specific as to what is purified is that it is different for everyone. Sometimes emotions are stored in the form of muscle tension, different people use different muscles for this, but as soon as one person declares what they believe is being purified, ten others will come up with ten other versions, some being the opposite from the original story.

What they have in common is that twice daily meditation is what initiates the purification, then you have to fill in the rest of the story for yourself.
This is one reason spirituality has eluded science for so long; science expects repeatable results, and that doesn't happen often with yoga. It's a common path we are all on, but it looks different to each of us.

I love adventure, for instance. I bet there is someone out there who is opposite of me, who would tell you that all the different stories are really the same story, told differently.
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say there is no specific answer to the purification process as it is simple not known. There are speculations about what it is what it might be, but in the end it's still just an idea and no prove. Maybe the word purification is totally wrong, who knows. If science ever gets the hang on how to step into it, we will figure it out. Till then it is just a metaphor for me and thats ok.
Yaming
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  11:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm clearing out emotions I had stored in tight muscles. It doesn't necessarily make me remember what stored the emotion, it is just pure emotion that comes out. I can remember what kind of things stored them when I was little. It had to do with not wanting to fully face an emotion at the time.
But I have also heard that emotions coming out doesn't necessarily mean they were stored. . .

What makes me think I am making progress with the muscles? Because I am increasing my flexibility.

Edited by - Etherfish on May 19 2011 11:25:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hm well something is happening... Otherwise how can people get angry or sad without apparent reason while meditating. Is it clearing otu of obstruction? Maybe, maybe not. The whole think is just a thing to give the mind a concept. At least that's how I feel about it.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  01:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarolynDear
I'm just wondering-- what is it exactly that's being purified out of our systems? Karma? Trauma? Dust?

Yes. Karma, Trauma, Dust and everything you can think of.

You are already pure.

You just need a good bath.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Yaming; that's what we all have in common - something is happening.

Manigma - Ha ha. I agree; at least there is the illusion of more than one thing that is cleared.

Edited by - Etherfish on May 20 2011 07:52:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  10:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carolyn!

In my opinion, what is being purified with advanced yoga practices and other purification practices is the perception. This is (again in my opinion) why it is so difficult to scientifically measure purification.... how can you measure the change in perception other then by subjectively measuring how your daily life changes as we continue to do practices? You can't really.

Just my opinion and it is always subject to change.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

CarolynDear

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  10:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarolynDear's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish, Yaming and manigma--- thanks for giving me food for reflection. I've thought a lot about the pitfalls of science in demanding objectively repeatable results for phenomena that are subjective / influenced by the quality of an individual's consciousness. I don't have to know for sure what it is that's being purified-- I just thought I'd ask. ;)

From my very brief experience so far it seems like what leaves me after I meditate is a sense of heaviness or attachment to the perceived problems in my life.

Gratitude,
Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carolyn,
How our lives change is a measure of our progress and the lifting of heaviness is very common.The rest is scenery.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  7:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too; they should make a word for lifting of heaviness; maybe en-light-ment or something
Go to Top of Page

CarolynDear

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  8:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarolynDear's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish-- Brilliant! why didn't someone think of it sooner?!

Dave - thanks for the words of validation. :)

Carson - yes-- but what is it that's being taken out of the perception so that it's purified? Perception dust?

Yay,
Carolyn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000