Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Degrees of Consciousness Evolution?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George 4U

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  8:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit George 4U's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I got the following article from manoftheeast.com

Every enlightenment tradition espouses a detailed systematic pattern of inner development. In Esoteric Yoga we have Seven Degrees of Consciousness Evolution; this is often identified with the ascent of awareness from chakra to chakra.

Practitioners who rely on it are often befuddled to observe mixed tendencies belonging to supposedly different evolutionary stages clearly manifesting to a single person at the same time. Second Degree behaviour mixed with Fourth Degree behaviour, for example.

It is because actual spiritual awakening does not follow any general rule, it has no specific pattern. Each individual is unique and ascends through his own personalized levels. There are no degrees and no strict linear progress. This is precisely why one who has been showing full Fifth Degree consciousness can be like that for 50 years and then die while someone who has just been showing full Third Degree consciousness can accelerate to full Sixth Degree consciousness in a matter of days.

My question is, what exactly are these degrees (levels?) of consciousness evolution? I tried to email the person who wrote it but I didn't receive a reply.

Thanks!

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  9:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello ,
Here's the 7 states of consciousness… there are multiple posts on these 7 states that goes though each one and some insights.
Let me be brief on the list - more if there is interest i.e. the name, the characteristic of each, etc.
1. Waking
2. Dreaming
3. Deep Sleep
4. Turiya, literally 4th state, also called Cosmic Conscious, Self Conscious,
5. God Consciousness
6. Unity Consciousness
7. Brahman Consciousness

The progress from 4 to 7, starts with the experience sublter levels of consciousness to stablize the nervious system to keep/hold
Turiya consciousness 7x24x365. The 4th state is where one expriences the SELF as distinct from activity. Its said that real spiritual progress begins at this stage, as the key ingredient of SELF is now part of ones daily works.

The SELF realizes itSELF by its SELF and by HIS grace.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  9:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank,

I am interested in the characteristics of the differing levels. If you find that you have time at some point, would you please share a little more detail there? If you're busy that's fine too---I can see what I can google on it...

Light and love,
Kathy

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  9:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy:

You can find a slimmed down version of what Frank is talking about by looking at the lessons under "Enlightenment Milestones" in the Topic Index here: http://www.aypsite.org/TopicIndex.html

This model is experience-based -- observer and observed, whereas the other model mentioned by George is energy based -- the opening of particular chakras. As Melissa pointed out above, we don't do much with the chakra model in AYP. In fact, we don't dwell much on the AYP model either. Better to have the experience itself, and then we can describe it in any way we choose. There is nothing sacred, or even that useful about enlightenment models for their own sake, except as they can inspire us to practice. Ultimately, we are the model!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  12:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani. The fact is, I've read these passages and forgot...senior moment...errr....at 49 no less...

Light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  12:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by NagoyaSea

I am interested in the characteristics of the differing levels.

Hello Kathy,
Yes, Yogini's idea to read some posts are a good start... if you have questions, we can address. Each 'state' bears a different experience albeit, more profound as the SELF is lived. As one moves though these states (note, the words here are the best we have to explain this) , the awareness gets more refined, cultured and more profound. One that is established in rta-chit or Truth Consciousness actually views his/her relationship to the world much differently - so say the sages, as my knowledge here is what I am taught, and we will experience as time marches on .
Now, these are not so esoteric that they cannot be reviewed/discussed and appreciated. In fact , I am of the firm belief a discussion of these are healthy...allowing one a glimse of possibilities and to nurture the mind and 're-mind' it, what it really is.

So, if there is interest we can outline some of these key qualities to consider e.g. deep silence while in activity (some call restful alertness), perceiving the finer levels of creation through the senses. This is the beginning of God Consciousness…called that, for one's appreciation for HIS/HER work is perceived and appreciated ( delighted/adored) at the most profound levels and subtler levels in nature rising in bliss (ananda).

But first, the SELF needs to be established/experienced as separate from activity ( the relative field of action).

We can talk more of these ideas if you wish.

Brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati
The knower of Brahman is Brahman itself -Mundaka Upanishad

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  2:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank.

IMHO there’s nothing wrong with being curious about the events that will be encountered on our journeys to an enlightened state. It would be sad though to impatiently compare oneself with a yardstick; such as ‘I am this but not that, oh how far to go’….

And I am curious of the changes in consciousness that lie ahead, especially given the fact that I know more lifetimes lie ahead for me. And perhaps there is a niggling of concern that the steps along the path will slow in subsequent lives. I hope the desire for spiritual growth will be profound….

Yogani says that you can be more aggressive on this path if you choose. He says that you can keep to the core practice (the essential practice) of meditation, or add more advanced practices to speed the journey. In this life, I felt a need for spiritual fellowship and study, giving service, meditation, pranayama, samyama. These feel like an extension of myself; they are natural and key. But there is no desire for other things. I will never do kechari or amrita or many other practices. The master within doesn’t deem them necessary or desirable for this one in this lifetime.

There is also nothing wrong with examining the side effects of our practices, as long as we don’t pursue the effect rather than the practice. But I have to keep reminding myself this… And, heh heh, Yogani reminds me too!

I haven’t moved through changes in consciousness in a linear fashion. Not like I’m on this step and now I’m on this one… There is inner silence in all things, almost but not yet constant. An encounter, an event, such as the death of a friend, shakes it or diminishes it, but the silence returns. The witness is present. It is almost a disconnection of self from the external and has brought an entirely new internal dialog…A kinder, gentler, loving dialog of thought regarding others and events as well. And this translates to kinder actions toward the external. Thoughts create reality…

Bliss outside of meditation fleetingly appears, but less rare now….and in my entire lifetime only a handful of glimpses of the unity of all things. For me, the experiences ebb and flow, growing stronger and sometimes weakening, only to return…

So I look at the state of this one’s consciousness and can not place it in one slot—-I am here but not there yet---it flows... But it is beautiful. I’ll be driving to work across lanes and lanes of highway filled with cars and as I see the horizon I am filled with this ecstatic sense of awe and bliss and could not hold one more iota of joy inside. Anyone else would think that was nuts. The journey is awesome.

Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
that was very well said Kathy.... all of it... esp.
quote:
So I look at the state of this one’s consciousness and can not place it in one slot—-I am here but not there yet---it flows... But it is beautiful. I’ll be driving to work across lanes and lanes of highway filled with cars and as I see the horizon I am filled with this ecstatic sense of awe and bliss and could not hold one more iota of joy inside. Anyone else would think that was nuts. The journey is awesome
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  2:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You know Frank, I am somewhat interested in the consciousness while sleeping. I actually thought I had some medical issue going on when it started--thought perhaps some part of the brain just not turning off properly and was worried the quality of rest wouldn't be what it should. The thinking, the awareness just doesn't shut down even when sleeping. But for me anyway, not the entire night--more likely to be thinking while dreaming than during deep sleep...

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  9:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I look at the state of this one’s consciousness and can not place it in one slot

Hello Kathy,
thanks for the note... When talking about the infinite that fills every part of the universe and you/me 'up to our fingernails' as the sages say, it is difficult to try and quantify such a wonderful experience. The notion of the road signs along the way is just an indication that the path one is on is in the right direction.
When one thinks, as you have mentioned, I am at this stage and not that it may cause some angst early on., and perhaps even mood making. Yet as one progresses its more 'ah yes, this is the right direction'. No angst, just delight. But that said, it allows one to understand and comprehend the vastness of ability.

Some of the most famous mahavakya's or great truths allow the native that insight that 'all this is THAT' and the revelation one is having is most natural and alls. The great sages did this for our benefit and growth.

There have been some groups that have suggested that reaching such and such consciousness is the final state/stage of the aspirant. I will leave this out as it seens to cause undo thrashing and debate so best left alone for now.
So, the great rishi's have helped by saying when you are at this stop the scenery will look like this…and when you get to this intersection, you will experience such and such. This is for the benefit of man in Kali Yuga to not get stuck at an intersection and say "that's it this is where my practice ends?". We are dealing with more then the most, so a sign post here and there (for me) is a welcomed addition.

So I am glad you are enjoying the ride…. Sometimes words work to describe the road, sometimes not. We will do the best we have with the tools the sages have passed along.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  10:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Kathy,
if you stop your thoughts once in a while it has a pretty restful effect that carries over when you're sleeping. You know- just favor not thinking, and gradually they get farther away. You can do it while doing daily activities or chores. Takes a long time, but you can get some results fairly soon. What do you do with your brain while not thinking? Receive sensory input, but try not to name things. It's almost impossible to be aware of all the senses at once, so if you try it can overload your brain so it can't think.
It makes dreams more peaceful and profound.

Also, I don't think it is necessary to do advanced practices to reach advanced states. Everyone is different, and while I'm sure people who choose advanced practices get results from them, some saints have gotten very far with just bhakti and proper living.
You can reach an advanced state in this life and still choose to live more lives. It's free will.

Edited by - Etherfish on Mar 22 2006 10:16:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  11:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, Frank and Etherfish.

I'll try stopping thoughts while I do chores....probably the only time I could manage it. I've only experienced something like that twice--- in meditation after much practice where you finally get to a state where there is pure awareness and no thought and no mantra---only awareness. I'm still working to get back to that place in my practice. And in dreaming where mind steps in, exerts its will and says 'I will not see this' and dreaming stops. Conscious mind "I've" got no control over either of these, so I think you're right Ether, that it would take a looooooottttttttt of practice for me to stop the thinking....

Frank, I like the analogy that the experiences/stages are road signs that we are on the right path...

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! Kathy, I don't know about that... stop thinking.. I don't think we could ever do that.. could we?
Its more of watching your thoughts that helps.. helps me at least.. When I find myself totally engrossed in thoughts.. these days.. I try to watch it... from my heart... move my awareness to my heart and watch those thoughts in my head.. try it...
While doing your chores... be with your work completely.. just because it is a mindless chore.. don't let other thoughts take over you... like doing the dishes.. look at the glass in your hand, the soap suds on it, the water cleaning it.. be totally involved in that work .. that is what people call "being with NOW".. you will see you mind will get a break for those few mins. I have been trying to follow this.. I like how it works...
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  12:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said Shanti, I couldn't agree more. Just bring your awareness into the here and now. Another great trick taught by Eckhart Tolle is to bring your awareness into the body and to feel the energy in the whole body from head to toe simultaneously. Also tuning into our physical senses one at a time and witnessing what they are monitoring works to great effect as well.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this Melissa, it looks like a great read, I look forard to going through it.

A
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem and Shanti, thank you for the clarity! I'm also watching thoughts to try to keep them as Positive as possible because it does really seem to change attitude and reality in a positive way. Trying to make that a habit...

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  2:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In Yogani's words.. 'No trying'.. if it happens good.. whenever you feel like your head is heavy.. bring your awareness down to your heart.. keep it there for as long as you can.. if you try too hard.. you will get a headache.. I generally do... Over time it becomes natural... but don't try to stay there.. its just like the mantra during meditation.. when you realize you have gone off it.. you go back to it.. similarly, when you realize you are using your head too much.. bring your awareness down to your heart and watch your thoughts..
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

These days I try to not colour the thoughts one way or another, neither favoring the positive nor negative ones. They come up, I observe them, they dissipate etc.

I think when we create a preference for positive thoughts that we inadvertently create an aversion for their negative counter-parts. For example “I want to feel happy and positive, oh no, I feel sad and scared I don’t want that”.

When this preference occurs we empower the negative thoughts with emotions derived from aversion like fear etc. which is not conducive for our balance either. At the moment, I try to accept that all types of thoughts will come up and do my best to not run away from the ones I don't like. This is of course easier said than done! I think this is where inner peace resides in us with this acceptance of our minds ability to consider all things.

Anthem
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno Anthem. In my experience, especially recently it seems as though thoughts at least impact if not construct reality. Just observation though, so could very well be wrong on that. So I've been cultivating the positive. If nothing else, it leads to an improved state of mind, outlook and attitude toward others just speaking for me alone mind you...

So there's no aversion to negative thoughts, although there is an aversion to negative feeling and down/depressed feelings...I try to work out of that as soon as I can....

Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I dunno Anthem. In my experience, especially recently it seems as though thoughts at least impact if not construct reality.

I believe the same, thoughts do create our reality. Negative and positive alike. I am certain somewhere along the lines many of us have experienced not only creating the reality we wanted by staying focused on our desired outcome(s) but also inadvertently getting what we were so desperately trying to avoid, again by thinking of the undesirable situation (often subconsciously) until it occurred.

quote:
So I've been cultivating the positive. If nothing else, it leads to an improved state of mind, outlook and attitude toward others just speaking for me alone mind you...

me too!

quote:
So there's no aversion to negative thoughts, although there is an aversion to negative feeling and down/depressed feelings...I try to work out of that as soon as I can....

My point here is only that we create what our minds dwell on. Aversion and wanting to avoid can create our realities inadvertently. Just like when someone says "don't think of a lemon" pretty hard not to have an image of a lemon pop into mind! I think it is a great distinction you make to change your focus from negative to positive whenever you can, I try to do this as well. I am also suggesting that allowing negative to come up and accepting it and therefore not empowering it with fear etc. is liberating as well!

all the best,

Anthem
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  7:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well said Anthem
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  9:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari OM
~~~~~~~

Folks,
just a few thoughts on 'thought'. You can try and stop thoughts, but a fruitless effort. Is it bad to try, nope.

That said, all this 'noise' comes to stillness once the mind is absorbed in something that satisfies it completly. All those thoughts we have is like a bee going from flower to flower looking for more pollen. Like that, the mind is seeking more. Until it rests in more then the most ( Self) it will seek from thought to thought.
So, if there is a technique to quiet the mind, great and one may wish to try.... but the 'bee' will return - happy buzzing!

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  6:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, your thoughts create your reality. It's not a necessary practice to stop your thoughts, but I brought it up because of its impact on dreams, because there was mention of thinking during sleep. Like Frank says, you can't stop your thoughts at first by trying. It's done by willing yourself to move further away from them and watching them from a further and further distance. It took me years to stop them all the way, but just beginning to stop them had quite an effect on thinking during dreams.
But like Frank said AYP practices for silence is a much easier thing to do.

About negative thoughts popping up when you try to think positive thoughts:
The reason affirmations don't work is that you are just saying words, but your beliefs don't back them up. Your beliefs are constantly reinforced by your subconscious mind looking for validation of them.
So if you're going to say an affirmation that isn't currently happening in your reality you also have to search for the validation of it.
But that is just for correcting mind problems, and should be a small effort compared to AYP meditation on the road of consciousness evolution.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  6:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The power of meditation is unique in that it's **much** easier to stop thinking thereby indirectly improving one's thoughts, than to change one's thoughts directly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000