Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hello and Wow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

My name is Paul and I'm just introducing myself.

I've meditated for quite a few years but I've needed a bit of guidance as it wasn't really that good so I bought Yoganis book 'Deep Meditation'. I'm very sceptical about books like this because there's a terrible lot of rubbish out there and I'm a fully grounded truth seeker. Yoganis book was well written and rang bells with me.

I've used the book since just last week and my meditation has become quite a journey already. My meditation has already gone deep very very quickly and hasn't been totally pleasurable but the fact is, it's deep. Today for instance I was only comfortable for 10 minutes -I stopped when I couldn't locate the upper half of my body, I was completely away somewhere else and it really did take some time to come back.

I'm really taken aback by how powerful this is and as a result I'm quite tentative. I've been foggy and heavy headed all day after one session and in todays session there were some uncomfortable 'thought feelings'. I know that this is purification. I'm also already aware for the need of grounding afterwards which has become essential - in fact it's really quite difficult to come round.

It's already clear that this is going to be a journey for me which is why I've named myself Voyager. I'm tentative now and I'm pacing myself properly but I do intend to go further, if these side effects will indeed disappear in the future.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum and meeting you all. I also look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Thank you Yogani.

Edited by - Voyager on Mar 26 2011 06:52:48 AM

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

We all share the same feeling as you. These practices are very valuable. Please refer to the Main Lessons and Tantra Lessons on the home page for more practices.

Deep Meditation is the core practice and there are a lot of others that you can add to it. The forum contains many advanced practitioners who had some beautiful experiences.

- Near
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you nearoanoke. I hope to have some of those experiences in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Voyager, and welcome to the forum. The only thing I would say is to be sure to get a good rest after your meditation and before you get up. For me personally, if I rush myself to quickly after 20 minutes of meditation and jump up and go, I always either get a headache or feel groggy. On the other hand, if I rest say 5 to 10 minutes after my meditation I almost always feel alert and energized.
Guy
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Guy. That time I felt groggy all day I'd got up quickly from meditation. It was surprising to me that this happens and also that it should last all day but if as an experienced meditator you're saying that you still get that, I should bear in mind that I should come back slowly after every session.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me. By the way, I don't consider myself an experienced meditator as I have only been at it (all AYP) for just over 5 years.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums Voyager.

Sounds like you have already got the concept of self pacing and grounding. That is really awesome!!!

Heavy and/or foggy headed happens if you meditate very close to bed time, or meditate and fall asleep immediately for the night... also when you don't rest enough after meditation (as Guy said). Maybe cut back on meditation time to 15 min and rest 15-20 min before getting up and going about your day.

Also maybe in a week or so add spinal breathing (http://www.aypsite.org/41.html)... this helps balance the stillness and energy aspect of or neurobiology.

Wish you all the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You've rumbled me Shanti. Initially I was meditating before I went to sleep - well, I actually did fall asleep and I couldn't fully waken the whole of the next day (I've had two days like that so far). It's great for insomnia

I've got a hectic schedule and two very young kids so getting time to meditate is difficult. I can really only do this at night once the kids and wife have gone to sleep. I'll try and leave some time after meditation before sleeping in future. It's becoming apparent that meditation to help you get to sleep ain't a good thing at all.

Edited by - Voyager on Mar 26 2011 10:54:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had plenty of time to read through the forum and I'm delighted that the experiences I've been having already are common and it's reassuring.

From reading through I've noticed that what I've been doing in the past is exactly as described here as breathing meditation. I've had some good experiences with breathing meditation - once when I felt a pleasant sensation on the back of my neck and immediately after electricity going slowly up and down my spine, as if I was being scanned - like a ring going slowly up and down finally dissipating out of the back of my neck again.
I stopped practicing for a long time after that as it was as real as I'm sitting here now, which spooked me a bit even though it was very pleasant. What was that?

Going on to mantra meditation is a much more in depth experience and one in which I think I'll have to respect and take care.

P.S. I've had absoloutely no guidance on meditation before, so I have no idea what anybody's talking about when it comes to yogic phrases and terms.
Bear with me
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  12:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paul

Less can be more when you are doing the AYP practices!

Just wondering if you would be interested in a retreat.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....s=uk,retreat

You have only just stepped through the door and I am confronting you with an aggressive sales pitch.

Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  5:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Guy_51

Hi Voyager, and welcome to the forum. The only thing I would say is to be sure to get a good rest after your meditation and before you get up. For me personally, if I rush myself to quickly after 20 minutes of meditation and jump up and go, I always either get a headache or feel groggy. On the other hand, if I rest say 5 to 10 minutes after my meditation I almost always feel alert and energized.
Guy

Same here, found shavasana to be necessary after the practices.

Welcome Voyager!
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  02:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woosa - it sounds like I'd have a great time, but with two young children in full time child care unfortunately I simply cannot afford the money or the time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000