Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Yoga in Life Practices - Identifying the Ego
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Most of us have busy schedules and sometimes find it hard to make two - hour long sessions a day work, but I believe everyone can find time for ten - 2 minute exercises. I thought it might be useful to start a thread where we all help each other live more in the moment (or Yoga in Life Practices). I pre-warn that some of this may depart slightly from standard AYP (Yogani said it was OK).

The first topic that I thought might be interesting for everyone is: The Ego and how to identify it.

Endless ancient (and modern) writings have talked about killing it, but how do you even find it? I have a simple experiment for you. Try to notice how many threads you have going on in your mind at any one time. While you are reading this are you also on the phone or thinking about other work you are doing. Most people have 5-6 threads (or voices) going on. All of those threads creating noise are the Ego.

I have two questions for everyone (please respond).

How many threads do you normally have going on (no enlightened people can answer )? And, should we continue things like this, or am I wasting your time?

Peace & Love.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff

1.) I used to have probably close to a dozen "threads" going on at any given time... now, there is usually one or two, maybe three at an absolute maximum.

2.) Is it actually possible to waste time?

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  6:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

If you like, please check out http://livingunbound.net - especially in Level 1 of our lessons there, we offer some material on identifying ego, seeing through mind-stories, etc. -- that seem to be along the lines of your first question, here.

Our focus is on the aspects of sadhana that occur outside of sitting practices. For sitting practices, we of course refer everyone back to AYP.

I hope this is useful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

Thank you for pointing out your site. It is definitely along the lines of what I thought would be helpful to add to the forum. I feel that bringing simple practices into our daily lives increases our awareness. My thought was along the lines of the "Two Minute Manager" series. Simple practices for an aware and "unbound life".

Peace & Love,

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you know that basic AYP practices are much shorter than two, one hour sessions. More like two 15 or 20 minute sessions.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  11:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Thanks. I should have put a smile there .

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  03:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How many threads do you normally have going on?
they are so many...why count them ...let them come and go...their traffic will be reduced...

should we continue things like this, or am I wasting your time?
is there something better worth doing?
lol
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  05:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ego?

Who is trying to notice? Who responds when others ask for a response from the person they call "you"? Who identifies mind threads as mine? Who counts time as wasted or as "my" time? How much time did I spend composing this reply? About30 minutes to an hour including the time it took too to read

Main Lesson 428 - The Transformation of Ego
http://www.aypsite.org/428.html

And to do some of Kirtanman's Living Unbound exercises.

I figure I normally am able to be present in the present, but sometimes I have some noisy thoughts that I identify as "mine" and that are what Adya might call "sticky." Usually it is one sticky thought at a time, but I'm not sure.

Jeff, if you find it helpful to do this sort of thing, go for it.

Edited by - bewell on Mar 03 2011 05:12:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  11:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more concerned with the numerous threads that I get so caught up in that I mistake them for the Self. I think Ego is much like a tricky virus in this way that it can conceal itself by convincing you that you are it like viruses do to cells. It is discouraging sometimes, but I try and look at it like a mantra. When I go off the mantra in meditation I gently bring myself back and continue. I try to do the same with overpowering thoughts and emotions in day to day life.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Steven,

I agree, trying to pick out the right thread doesn't work well. Lot of viruses in the Sims game .

A couple of things that have helped me. Try just listening to relaxing music that you enjoy. If you don't think and just listen, you will notice that the music seems to get louder. When it get louder (or you feel the energy), the threads have quieted. Another good one for me is when I just watch one of my children, I often find myself smiling. When you spontaneously smile, the ego is usually pretty quiet.

Have a good weekend!

Smiles, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I hope you know that basic AYP practices are much shorter than two, one hour sessions. More like two 15 or 20 minute sessions.

not really. 20 min DM 10 min SPB and 10 min rest which is already 40 min. And that is really just the basic practice that is written out in the first few lessons. Later on there comes more, so I see how it easily can come to 1 hour over the years.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  4:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that's really helped me outside of sitting practices is "relax and allow", which I learned from Kirtanman. It involves being aware throughout your day, noticing whenever there is resistance or contraction of the awareness. Then just allowing the awareness to open up and accept whatever is happening in the moment.

It works wonders because eventually you see that you are not the one that resists or contracts. There can be pain, "mindy-ness", feeling crappy, ego, etc. but you see that you are not any of those things. Then ego and thoughts (the so-called "bane" of spiritual practice) are no longer a problem. They can be there and you do not suffer.

At least that's my experience. Thank you, K-man!

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic,

Do you find that as you "relax and allow", that in general the "mindy-ness" diminishes?

Thanks, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Do you find that as you "relax and allow", that in general the "mindy-ness" diminishes?

Hi Jeff

I find that it does diminish, but it still happens daily. Thoughts have become very subtle, so they're much less distracting than they used to be. They are only overt if I actively engage them, or actively think about something. So it's easier to not get lost in thoughts when they arise. They're simply there and I witness them.

But I must say that deep meditation is the real key for me. Without it, I don't know how effective "relax and allow" would be. I say this because I've tried similar things before I had discovered meditation, and their usefulness was limited.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic,

I agree about DM, but I also find it is a two way street. For me, simple practices during the day make the energy flow and silence grow . It may also just be me and my crazy schedule, but I often find it hard to find time for DM. On the positive side, I now actually look forward to long drives for my youngest soccer games.

Peace & Love, Jeff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000