New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  10:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I would like to know your current routines. I would also like any suggestions to my enhance,and render more efficient,my own Yoga routine. Thank you in advanced. Here is my routine:

SRF Energization Exercises - 15 min
Asanas - 10 min
Maha Mudra - 3x
Kriya Pranayam - 24 times
Thokar - 1 time/22 head rotations
Meditation (gentle shambavi/awareness of ajna) - 20 min
Yoni mudra - 3 times/50 sec.
Rest - 5 min

-Chela7

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  02:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This one's a usual weekday..

5am wakeup
Tantra ~20 mins
Devotional practices, lighting incense ~5 mins
Amaroli
Spinal breating pranayam 10 mins
Mantra meditation 10 mins
Handstand 4 mins
Misc asanas 5 mins
Driving to work - Chanting - 30 mins
Sitting at the office at work - Padmasana (alternating if need be) - 2 hours
Walking around town at work - Nada Yoga/OmDasJi 8 hours
Sitting at home surfing the net - padmasana (alternating if need be) - 2 hours
Freestyle meditation ~ 1 hour or 30 mins spinal breathing pranayam 40 mins + mantra meditation
Sleep in shavasana
And hopefully will add wakeful dreaming to this list someday
Mix in karma, jnana and bhakti yoga inbetween all of those

The target is to make the routine a conscious 24/7

Edited by - Chiron on Jan 07 2011 02:30:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by maha mudra?
What do you mean by SRF energizing exercises?
What do you mean by kriya pranayama?
How long have you been doing what you're describing?
As far as enhancing your routine, have you considered developing full advanced khechari mudra? because thats quite a kick in the pants.

Edited by - John C on Jan 07 2011 10:05:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My current routine is:

-Amaroli (about 1cm deep in the bottom of a pint glass first thing in the morning)
-10-30 mins asana (only in the afternoon practice)
-5 mins SBP
-20 mins DM
-5 mins samyama
-20 mins rest

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C

What do you mean by maha mudra?
What do you mean by SRF energizing exercises?
What do you mean by kriya pranayama?
How long have you been doing what you're describing?
As far as enhancing your routine, have you considered developing full advanced khechari mudra? because thats quite a kick in the pants.

Hello John C!

Maha mudra is a kriya yoga technique that combines asana,bandha,and mudra.
The energizing exercises are exercises that infuse the body with energy through tension,relaxation,will,and concentration.

Kriya Pranayama is pretty much exactly like AYP spinal breathing.

I've been practing yoga on and off for over 10 years.

I have not achieved kechari yet,I heard that really kick things up a notch, so I can wait.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1) Amroli in the early morning: nasal rinse and as a drink.

2) Two daily sits. I set a timer for twenty minutes, do SBP, do Deep Meditation with solar enhancement, and when the timer goes off, I do AYP Samyama, the basic routine, followed by the "I-thought, Who am I?" sutra.

3) I consider visiting the forum a "yoga practice" and I have been doing that a lot lately between sits.

4) Kechari mudra and snipping when the Bhakti leads.

5) Asana practice once a week in a jail yoga outreach, and occasionally solo (I've been enjoying the AYP beginner kit poses recently).

6) Inspirational reading -- Yogani's main lessons reward multiple slow examinations.

Edited by - bewell on Jan 07 2011 4:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chela7

[quote]Originally posted by John C

Hello John C!

Maha mudra is a kriya yoga technique that combines asana,bandha,and mudra.
The energizing exercises are exercises that infuse the body with energy through tension,relaxation,will,and concentration.

Kriya Pranayama is pretty much exactly like AYP spinal breathing.

I've been practing yoga on and off for over 10 years.

I have not achieved kechari yet,I heard that really kick things up a notch, so I can wait.

Hi Chela 7,
I would appreciate it tremendously, if you could please give a detailed description of how you do maha mudra and SRF energizing exercises. thanks,
J
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, :)
The SRF energization exercises can be found at this link:
http://www.ananda.org/meditation/su...nergization/

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  02:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi, :)
The SRF energization exercises can be found at this link:
http://www.ananda.org/meditation/su...nergization/

TI

Hello Tibetan Ice,

Thank you for providing the link. Actually I would greatly appreciate some pointers on meditation from one as experienced as yourself.

Does AYP deep meditation (or using "Om" mantra instead of "I AM")bring faster and more profound results than my current meditation, gentle shambavi mudra/awareness on the ajna?

Does AYP version of Yoni Mudra give faster/better results than the traditional Yoni Mudra I am currently using?

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  12:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela7 :)
"Profound results", "powerful practices" to me indicate that someone is caught up in the world of form and is seeking a solution by manipulating objects while ignoring the formless source.

Everyone is at a different level of ripeness, and sometimes only a gently breeze will knock the apple off of the tree.

According to my understanding, the "I AM" mantra, as used here at AYP, void of meaning or intent, is a mechanical method of focusing the attention inwards which results in the release of blockages and purification. And, in between the repetitions, and sometimes arriving on it's own, deep silence is found.

The "Om" or "AUM" mantra, as I understand it, is a representation of the word of God, through which the universe is formed and maintained, resplendant with the full effect from tapping into the source. In my experience the AUM splits into two, one coming from the source and the other leading towards the source.

Energetically speaking, when I focused on the form and resonant properties of the mantras, the "I AM" mantra starts at the lower tan tien (AAAAAA), goes straight to the crown (YEEEEEEE), back down to the lower tan tien (AAAAAA) and ends at the brow (MMMMMM). The "AUM" mantra, (AAAAOOOOOOMMMMM) starts at the lower tan tien (AAAAA), goes to the throat (OOOOOOO) and ends at the brow (MMMMMM). This is what I have concluded when focusing on the form of the energy flow from the effect of the mantra (mantra in the generic sense of the word). Definately, other people will disagree with my experiences.

Each form of mantra meditation has it's own benefits, effects and consequences. There are so many ways to 'do mantra repetition' that I am at a loss as to which is the best or the correct one. I don't know if one performs mantra repetition for the energetic component or to produce a gap of silence, or to turn the attention inward (or outward and upward), or just what..

Sambhavi, according to my experience, is a practice that produces visions, ecstatic conductivity and altered states of awareness. It is a powerful method which rapidly brings the obeserver down into the layers of dream sleep and, if one pursues it, sleep with no dreams. It is also a big distraction as the astral world, visions and other phenomenon lead the observer away from itself. Since the essence of Self Realization is to realize that which observes and beyond, and the not objects of observation, this practice would seem to be counter-productive. I have yet to learn a technique from sambhavi that is known to produce enlightenment, although I have heard that Yogananda did mention something to that effect at one time.

I tried Yoni Mudra many years ago and thought that the effect was strictly a biological one and that having to hold the hands in such a position was a distraction and detriment to meditation.. At the time the teaching proposed that a stick be used to prop up the arms... I have not pursued it since..

If I had to give some pointers about meditation I would say this:
- If you simply sit rock still and silent and do absolutely nothing, just observe your body, your mind, your emotions etc for 90 minutes, you will see that the body and mind go through cycles on their own, without any help on your part. First you will go through normal consciousness, next dream sleep, then sleep with no dreams. There are actual consistent phases and each one comes like a wave, carrying you deeper and deeper. If you stay unattached from the sensations, thoughts, visions and experiences, you will come to realize that you are not these things, because 'you' are sitting there watching them. Not only that, but you come to realize that the visions/dreams are beyond, the witness is like a screen upon which the visions or forms are projected and this screen is between you and the visions. And, you will notice that there is something else that is aware of the different components. Focus on that. Focus on the source, the observer. The mind cannot grasp it, for it is a feeling/sensation. I believe that everyone should do this practice once in a while because it will give depth and understanding to the shorter regular meditations.

- Sitting rock still in good posture is very important. It causes the body to let go, fall asleep, fall away, dissolve, call it what you like.... something like self-inflicted sleep paralysis.

- Observe the mind as often and as best as you can. Be aware of your ego too, how it behaves, what it does, where it seems to appear from. Observe and then ask yourself, who is observing the ego? And if you are observing the ego, you cannot truly be the ego, then who are you?

Most of all I think I was sold on the idea of finding out what is really there, what the Self really is, by not masking it, imagining, creating or actively participating in the act of seeking. Just sit and see what is there.

According to Nisargadatta, Ramana and others, that feeling of "I AM", is the doorway which will eventually open and reveal your true self. True reality, the formless ground from which the universe arises, is said to be an infinite rock solid space that does not move and the only way to realize it is to be perfectly still and focus on the feeling that "I" exists. Eventually it will dissolve revealing what is beyond. So that's what I do now.

TI
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  07:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoni Mudra is of very profound importance, though no one practice is totally essential. Personally, I find the traditional recommendations to work quite well and see no reason to modify that.
Yoni Mudra calms the thought stream dramatically and is an excellent preamble to formal sitting meditation. I combine alternate nostril breathing (three or four cycles) in squatting position, then stand, leaning chest against wall, and perform Yoni Mudra, then squat and repeat this cycle of moves repetitively for often times 5 or ten minutes. Though there is the appearance of being in a golden ring and later, a golden ball, there's no reason to get fascinated with this, but just accept it as a reality. It is what it is, a psycho-physiologic-yogic phenomenon, present whether eyes are open or closed. Don't romanticize it or thing your special. Small self loves to latch on to these events as somehow you've accomplished something.On the subject of mantra, and speaking only personal basis, on the Other Systems and Alternate Approaches level, I do not particularly resonate with the I Am mantra. I have always used the traditional vedic mantras discovered long ago by rishis and passed to us as connections to Divinity/Eternity. Enough said.
Regarding Amaroli, I am sure that is a fine practice, especially in the past when people lived close to the land, and didn't use poisons like insecticides, pesticides and hormonal products on genetically engineered foods. But now a days, to recycle those cancer causing poisons by amaroli is almost suicidal and I would not advise it. I tried it for a few months a couple years ago and it is mildly useful, but frankly, an archaic practice in light of industrial food production practices. And the gains from this practice are minimal in my humble personal esperience.
Lastly, Khechari Mudra is a fantastically useful practice and I would advise you to clip the tongue over about six months to accomplish this maneuver as it is quite effective yogically. Nor would I be fearful of this practice, neither fearful of the clipping, nor fearful of the practice itself. There is no one practice in all of the yogic practices that is of equal importance energetically. Don't procrastinate on this. These opinions are purely my own, and based completely on personal experience. We have this one brief lifetime to evolve. Avoid drugs as soon as you can kick them, but a couple cups of tea or coffee are a small pleasure as is a glass of red wine with dinner that do not impair one energetically in the least. Other drugs like dope and hallucinogens are a very low road spiritually, and will only retard your meditative practices in the long run. Again, this will be disputed by many on this thread, and I will just express this as a personal discovery for what little that may be worth. Good luck, and may you continue unabated in your practices. The Mystery will unfold further. And there is no end point nor any scenic experience that indicate anything whatsoever about "Where you're At" so don't fall into that ego trap. Just favor your meditative practices.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  3:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

"Profound results", "powerful practices" to me indicate that someone is caught up in the world of form and is seeking a solution by manipulating objects while ignoring the formless source.

Everyone is at a different level of ripeness, and sometimes only a gently breeze will knock the apple off of the tree.

According to my understanding, the "I AM" mantra, as used here at AYP, void of meaning or intent, is a mechanical method of focusing the attention inwards which results in the release of blockages and purification. And, in between the repetitions, and sometimes arriving on it's own, deep silence is found.

The "Om" or "AUM" mantra, as I understand it, is a representation of the word of God, through which the universe is formed and maintained, resplendant with the full effect from tapping into the source. In my experience the AUM splits into two, one coming from the source and the other leading towards the source.

Energetically speaking, when I focused on the form and resonant properties of the mantras, the "I AM" mantra starts at the lower tan tien (AAAAAA), goes straight to the crown (YEEEEEEE), back down to the lower tan tien (AAAAAA) and ends at the brow (MMMMMM). The "AUM" mantra, (AAAAOOOOOOMMMMM) starts at the lower tan tien (AAAAA), goes to the throat (OOOOOOO) and ends at the brow (MMMMMM). This is what I have concluded when focusing on the form of the energy flow from the effect of the mantra (mantra in the generic sense of the word). Definately, other people will disagree with my experiences.

Each form of mantra meditation has it's own benefits, effects and consequences. There are so many ways to 'do mantra repetition' that I am at a loss as to which is the best or the correct one. I don't know if one performs mantra repetition for the energetic component or to produce a gap of silence, or to turn the attention inward (or outward and upward), or just what..

Sambhavi, according to my experience, is a practice that produces visions, ecstatic conductivity and altered states of awareness. It is a powerful method which rapidly brings the obeserver down into the layers of dream sleep and, if one pursues it, sleep with no dreams. It is also a big distraction as the astral world, visions and other phenomenon lead the observer away from itself. Since the essence of Self Realization is to realize that which observes and beyond, and the not objects of observation, this practice would seem to be counter-productive. I have yet to learn a technique from sambhavi that is known to produce enlightenment, although I have heard that Yogananda did mention something to that effect at one time.

I tried Yoni Mudra many years ago and thought that the effect was strictly a biological one and that having to hold the hands in such a position was a distraction and detriment to meditation.. At the time the teaching proposed that a stick be used to prop up the arms... I have not pursued it since..

If I had to give some pointers about meditation I would say this:
- If you simply sit rock still and silent and do absolutely nothing, just observe your body, your mind, your emotions etc for 90 minutes, you will see that the body and mind go through cycles on their own, without any help on your part. First you will go through normal consciousness, next dream sleep, then sleep with no dreams. There are actual consistent phases and each one comes like a wave, carrying you deeper and deeper. If you stay unattached from the sensations, thoughts, visions and experiences, you will come to realize that you are not these things, because 'you' are sitting there watching them. Not only that, but you come to realize that the visions/dreams are beyond, the witness is like a screen upon which the visions or forms are projected and this screen is between you and the visions. And, you will notice that there is something else that is aware of the different components. Focus on that. Focus on the source, the observer. The mind cannot grasp it, for it is a feeling/sensation. I believe that everyone should do this practice once in a while because it will give depth and understanding to the shorter regular meditations.

- Sitting rock still in good posture is very important. It causes the body to let go, fall asleep, fall away, dissolve, call it what you like.... something like self-inflicted sleep paralysis.

- Observe the mind as often and as best as you can. Be aware of your ego too, how it behaves, what it does, where it seems to appear from. Observe and then ask yourself, who is observing the ego? And if you are observing the ego, you cannot truly be the ego, then who are you?

Most of all I think I was sold on the idea of finding out what is really there, what the Self really is, by not masking it, imagining, creating or actively participating in the act of seeking. Just sit and see what is there.

According to Nisargadatta, Ramana and others, that feeling of "I AM", is the doorway which will eventually open and reveal your true self. True reality, the formless ground from which the universe arises, is said to be an infinite rock solid space that does not move and the only way to realize it is to be perfectly still and focus on the feeling that "I" exists. Eventually it will dissolve revealing what is beyond. So that's what I do now.

TI

Hi Tibetan Ice,

Thank you very much for the reply? I would have never thought that such a simple technique would be so powerful. " be still and know that I am God".

I will definitely try to incorporate that stillness meditation in my routine. But as far as my experiences with regular meditation techniques is concerned:

When using "I AM " ,as in AYP, a deep calmness and peace.

When using the "OM" mantra I felt the same peace/calmness, also as I continue the mantra after a while my body felt as though it was spinning even though it was still.

When I use sambhavi I feel a little calmness but mostly just strong enegetic vibrations a the third eye area.

Along with the stillness meditation that you suggested, what regular meditation technique do you suggest...OM, I AM, or Sambhavi?

Thank you very much in advanced.

-Chela7

Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  4:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C

Yoni Mudra is of very profound importance, though no one practice is totally essential. Personally, I find the traditional recommendations to work quite well and see no reason to modify that.
Yoni Mudra calms the thought stream dramatically and is an excellent preamble to formal sitting meditation. I combine alternate nostril breathing (three or four cycles) in squatting position, then stand, leaning chest against wall, and perform Yoni Mudra, then squat and repeat this cycle of moves repetitively for often times 5 or ten minutes. Though there is the appearance of being in a golden ring and later, a golden ball, there's no reason to get fascinated with this, but just accept it as a reality. It is what it is, a psycho-physiologic-yogic phenomenon, present whether eyes are open or closed. Don't romanticize it or thing your special. Small self loves to latch on to these events as somehow you've accomplished something.On the subject of mantra, and speaking only personal basis, on the Other Systems and Alternate Approaches level, I do not particularly resonate with the I Am mantra. I have always used the traditional vedic mantras discovered long ago by rishis and passed to us as connections to Divinity/Eternity. Enough said.
Regarding Amaroli, I am sure that is a fine practice, especially in the past when people lived close to the land, and didn't use poisons like insecticides, pesticides and hormonal products on genetically engineered foods. But now a days, to recycle those cancer causing poisons by amaroli is almost suicidal and I would not advise it. I tried it for a few months a couple years ago and it is mildly useful, but frankly, an archaic practice in light of industrial food production practices. And the gains from this practice are minimal in my humble personal esperience.
Lastly, Khechari Mudra is a fantastically useful practice and I would advise you to clip the tongue over about six months to accomplish this maneuver as it is quite effective yogically. Nor would I be fearful of this practice, neither fearful of the clipping, nor fearful of the practice itself. There is no one practice in all of the yogic practices that is of equal importance energetically. Don't procrastinate on this. These opinions are purely my own, and based completely on personal experience. We have this one brief lifetime to evolve. Avoid drugs as soon as you can kick them, but a couple cups of tea or coffee are a small pleasure as is a glass of red wine with dinner that do not impair one energetically in the least. Other drugs like dope and hallucinogens are a very low road spiritually, and will only retard your meditative practices in the long run. Again, this will be disputed by many on this thread, and I will just express this as a personal discovery for what little that may be worth. Good luck, and may you continue unabated in your practices. The Mystery will unfold further. And there is no end point nor any scenic experience that indicate anything whatsoever about "Where you're At" so don't fall into that ego trap. Just favor your meditative practices.

Hi John C,

Great Post! I never knew traditional yoni mudra could be utilized in such a way. I have tried Amaroli myself for many months, yet I never considered the current poisons and GMO.

So you say that the AYP version of yoni mudra is as effective as the traditional version?

What do you think about using the "OM" mantra instead of " I AM" ?

What is your Practice Routine?

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[Hi Tibetan Ice,

Thank you very much for the reply? I would have never thought that such a simple technique would be so powerful. " be still and know that I am God".

I will definitely try to incorporate that stillness meditation in my routine. But as far as my experiences with regular meditation techniques is concerned:

When using the "OM" mantra I felt the same peace/calmness, also as I continue the mantra after a while my body felt as though it was spinning even though it was still.

When I use sambhavi I feel a little calmness but mostly just strong enegetic vibrations a the third eye area.

Along with the stillness meditation that you suggested, what regular meditation technique do you suggest...OM, I AM, or Sambhavi?

-Chela7

Hi Chela :)
What is it that you are trying to accomplish through meditation?

TI
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  9:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela,

You have a nice forum name I like.

My routine is about 10-15 minutes of deep meditation using IAM mantra once a day.

It is very powerful for me so once a day is good.

Love and light.

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  9:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,
Some of you have impressive routines!
Mine is quite simple, 10 min of SP followed by 20min of AYAM DP, twice a day.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
[Hi Tibetan Ice,

-Chela7

Hi Chela :)
What is it that you are trying to accomplish through meditation?

TI

Hi Tibetan Ice,

I'm trying to achieve Nirbikalpa samadhi, Self/God realization, the highest enlightenment, Freedom.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  02:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Regarding Amaroli, I am sure that is a fine practice, especially in the past when people lived close to the land, and didn't use poisons like insecticides, pesticides and hormonal products on genetically engineered foods. But now a days, to recycle those cancer causing poisons by amaroli is almost suicidal and I would not advise it. I tried it for a few months a couple years ago and it is mildly useful, but frankly, an archaic practice in light of industrial food production practices.

That's why it is important to eat fresh, natural and organic.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Tibetan Ice,

I'm trying to achieve Nirbikalpa samadhi, Self/God realization, the highest enlightenment, Freedom.

-Chela7

And what kind of experiences have you had? What were the most significant to you?

TI
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Hi Tibetan Ice,

-Chela7

And what kind of experiences have you had? What were the most significant to you?

Hi Tibetan Ice,

In one of my experiences, years ago after Meditation and doing very long japa on "OM", I went outside to take a walk. I experience what I can only describe as a mixture of calmness,peace, and a peculiar power. I felt like I was floating on air and that nothing could touch me. But alas this experience was only temporary. I tried to induce the experience again but failed.

I am currently reading "Awakening the Third Eye" by Samuel Sagan, M.D.

Do you suggest I do their "Third Eye Meditation" instead of my current sambhavi meditation?

Do you suggest I do the stillness meditation exclusively(or "OM" or "I AM")?

What do you suggest?

Thank you in advanced.

-Chela7

TI

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Tibetan Ice,

In one of my experiences, years ago after Meditation and doing very long japa on "OM", I went outside to take a walk. I experience what I can only describe as a mixture of calmness,peace, and a peculiar power. I felt like I was floating on air and that nothing could touch me. But alas this experience was only temporary. I tried to induce the experience again but failed.

Do you suggest I do their "Third Eye Meditation" instead of my current sambhavi meditation?

Hi Chela7, :)
The problem is that I have no idea where you are at and if I suggest something, it is because it is based on my experiences. You may be at a totally different level than me, higher or lower.. I don't know.

I did classic SRF lessons for over two years, about 20 years ago. I found that the exercises were very good but after a while I had to cut back from doing them once a day because I was so energized that I slept for only 3 hours a night. It was too disruptive for me to wake up wide awake at 3:00 am, I like my sleep and a regular routine.. Also, I never did get the Kriya initiation in person because at that time you had to travel to the USA...

I've also read and performed the Sagan "Awakening the Third Eye" practices, raspy breathing etc.. and the practices are very powerful. But, I can't say if it was Sagan, or the Kunlun that blew open my third eye (or the "I AM" meditation) because I was doing all three kind of regularily at the time. My third eye is wide open but now I realize that this is only a distraction, or maybe I should say that "perhaps" it is a distraction. It is cool to be able to zone in on someone and see what they are doing, but I now have very little interest in that. Many gurus say that you can waste alot of time in the astral planes and it will take you farther from your goal. Actually, I discovered a while ago that I only have to close my eyes and after two seconds I will see faces looking at me. I think everyone can do this, it's just that they never noticed it before..

However, there is alot of writing about the third eye in many books and teachings. And, again, I mention that Yogananda is supposed to have said something about reaching enlightenment using only the third eye (not having to do all the other practices). But I don't know. I'm not enlightened, and I haven't yet found how to do that practice..

And again, I've done alot of heart meditations. Did you know that you can see with the heart? Heart viewing (seeing from the heart) is about the clearest crispest visions that I've ever seen. My technique was very simple, just sit and place your attention in the heart. Eventually you feel tingles, energy flows followed by (later) painful karmic purging. And then again, one time I was doing AYP samyama, releasing "Love" and my heart chakra blew open, revealing other planes and lots of bright white light. So really, I have no idea what one technique caused that to occur. My problem (or blessing) is that it is probably always a combination of techniques that produces results. Lately I'm trying to find out "who is having these experiences", a Ramana and Nisargadatta self inquiry thing..

quote:

What do you suggest?

Thank you in advanced.

-Chela7

I think the most important thing is, no matter what you choose, to establish a solid base routine and stick to it. I did the "I AM" meditation for 3 1/2 years, at minimum twice a day, sometimes more often. I started simply, as was suggested in the AYP lessons and then added more things, such as bastrika and spinal breathing. Anything extra (like Kunlun, chakra meditations, heart meditations, etc) was performed at different times, other than the regular practices.

If you do the "I AM" meditation, don't put all your attention into the mantra, as I did. Instead, use the mantra to guide your attention inward and release the mantra into silence. The "I AM" meditation isn't about the mantra, it's about the surrounding deep silence in the gaps and leading the mind to silence. If you try to 'make it through a whole session and not lose the mantra', that isn't the idea. If you try to amplify the energy from the mantra and use it to create energy flows, that isn't the idea. Depending on your bent, the "I AM" practice of deep meditation may work fine for you. I ended up, after a few years of "I AM", doing sambhavi during deep meditation and visualizing the letters in the cave of brahmin.. ie: AAAAAAAYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM, or "IIIIIIIIIIIEEEEAAAAAAAMMMM". At one point, when I just focused on the "I" and held my inner sight and attention on it, my body dissolved, everything got really bright, lots of golden light and I became pure consciousness. But I think I altered the technique to the point where is was no longer an AYP deep meditation practice.

It is important that you pick your practices yourself. The advantage that AYP has, is that the lessons are free and readily available, you have access to the author and there is this forum with many practitioners whom you can consult and talk to. And, I think that some people here are actually enlightened, although some may have remnants of their egos still participating in their posts.. :)

The other thing that I've learned is this: If you read enough you will find every possible contradiction you can imagine in the teachings. Some say 'concentrate', some say 'let go', some use energy flows, some say to stay away from that, some say 'kundalini', some say 'kundalini is only an etheric flow' and is a small by-product on the path of enlightenment. Nearly every spiritual teaching says that their method is the fastest (except for maybe AYP, yes, scored some points there.) Eventually, you will get to the point ( I did ) where you don't know who or what to believe anymore and you get sick of it all and just want to throw it all out.. Well, I'm at that point but I still want to know myself, so I sit and meditate on "Who am I?" now. I also watch my thoughts, I've learned to recognize my ego and when it kicks in, I've learned that just by sitting the small self goes through cycles of regular consciousness, dream state, sleep with no dreams and you get to a point where you can view the various components just hanging out there in space. It's amazing what you can learn by just "watching" and not "doing".

Good luck.
TI
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its a pleasure to read u TI. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  02:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Hi Tibetan Ice,

Hi Chela7, :)
The problem is that I have no idea where you are at and if I suggest something, it is because it is based on my experiences. You may be at a totally different level than me, higher or lower.. I don't know.

I did classic SRF lessons for over two years, about 20 years ago. I found that the exercises were very good but after a while I had to cut back from doing them once a day because I was so energized that I slept for only 3 hours a night. It was too disruptive for me to wake up wide awake at 3:00 am, I like my sleep and a regular routine.. Also, I never did get the Kriya initiation in person because at that time you had to travel to the USA...

I've also read and performed the Sagan "Awakening the Third Eye" practices, raspy breathing etc.. and the practices are very powerful. But, I can't say if it was Sagan, or the Kunlun that blew open my third eye (or the "I AM" meditation) because I was doing all three kind of regularily at the time. My third eye is wide open but now I realize that this is only a distraction, or maybe I should say that "perhaps" it is a distraction. It is cool to be able to zone in on someone and see what they are doing, but I now have very little interest in that. Many gurus say that you can waste alot of time in the astral planes and it will take you farther from your goal. Actually, I discovered a while ago that I only have to close my eyes and after two seconds I will see faces looking at me. I think everyone can do this, it's just that they never noticed it before..

However, there is alot of writing about the third eye in many books and teachings. And, again, I mention that Yogananda is supposed to have said something about reaching enlightenment using only the third eye (not having to do all the other practices). But I don't know. I'm not enlightened, and I haven't yet found how to do that practice..

And again, I've done alot of heart meditations. Did you know that you can see with the heart? Heart viewing (seeing from the heart) is about the clearest crispest visions that I've ever seen. My technique was very simple, just sit and place your attention in the heart. Eventually you feel tingles, energy flows followed by (later) painful karmic purging. And then again, one time I was doing AYP samyama, releasing "Love" and my heart chakra blew open, revealing other planes and lots of bright white light. So really, I have no idea what one technique caused that to occur. My problem (or blessing) is that it is probably always a combination of techniques that produces results. Lately I'm trying to find out "who is having these experiences", a Ramana and Nisargadatta self inquiry thing..

quote:

What do you suggest?

Thank you in advanced.

-Chela7

I think the most important thing is, no matter what you choose, to establish a solid base routine and stick to it. I did the "I AM" meditation for 3 1/2 years, at minimum twice a day, sometimes more often. I started simply, as was suggested in the AYP lessons and then added more things, such as bastrika and spinal breathing. Anything extra (like Kunlun, chakra meditations, heart meditations, etc) was performed at different times, other than the regular practices.

If you do the "I AM" meditation, don't put all your attention into the mantra, as I did. Instead, use the mantra to guide your attention inward and release the mantra into silence. The "I AM" meditation isn't about the mantra, it's about the surrounding deep silence in the gaps and leading the mind to silence. If you try to 'make it through a whole session and not lose the mantra', that isn't the idea. If you try to amplify the energy from the mantra and use it to create energy flows, that isn't the idea. Depending on your bent, the "I AM" practice of deep meditation may work fine for you. I ended up, after a few years of "I AM", doing sambhavi during deep meditation and visualizing the letters in the cave of brahmin.. ie: AAAAAAAYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM, or "IIIIIIIIIIIEEEEAAAAAAAMMMM". At one point, when I just focused on the "I" and held my inner sight and attention on it, my body dissolved, everything got really bright, lots of golden light and I became pure consciousness. But I think I altered the technique to the point where is was no longer an AYP deep meditation practice.

It is important that you pick your practices yourself. The advantage that AYP has, is that the lessons are free and readily available, you have access to the author and there is this forum with many practitioners whom you can consult and talk to. And, I think that some people here are actually enlightened, although some may have remnants of their egos still participating in their posts.. :)

The other thing that I've learned is this: If you read enough you will find every possible contradiction you can imagine in the teachings. Some say 'concentrate', some say 'let go', some use energy flows, some say to stay away from that, some say 'kundalini', some say 'kundalini is only an etheric flow' and is a small by-product on the path of enlightenment. Nearly every spiritual teaching says that their method is the fastest (except for maybe AYP, yes, scored some points there.) Eventually, you will get to the point ( I did ) where you don't know who or what to believe anymore and you get sick of it all and just want to throw it all out.. Well, I'm at that point but I still want to know myself, so I sit and meditate on "Who am I?" now. I also watch my thoughts, I've learned to recognize my ego and when it kicks in, I've learned that just by sitting the small self goes through cycles of regular consciousness, dream state, sleep with no dreams and you get to a point where you can view the various components just hanging out there in space. It's amazing what you can learn by just "watching" and not "doing".

Good luck.
TI

Tibetan Ice,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt,revealing, and very useful reply. I think I will do the "I AM" deep meditation instead of sambhavi. I may even try Sagan's stuff when ever I get the chance.
Thank you once again for your help.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela7,
One last point.. you will find that sometimes, when you get very deep or sit for extended periods of time, you will naturally go into sambhavi. According to AYP lessons, this is ok. However, to begin with you should not split your attention by performing sambhavi while meditating.
Also, the AYP spinal breathing is a technique that eventually incorporates sambhavi. It is used mainly for it's energetic stimulation, I think.. In my opinion, performing sambhavi is a method of dissolving the winds into the central channel (sushumna).

If you don't mind me asking a few questions...
How old are you?
How long have you been doing the SRF Energization Exercises?
When you say "Kriya Pranayama is pretty much exactly like AYP spinal breathing", have you ever read "Norman Paulsen's Sacred Science"? In that book he describes Spinal Breathing, but he connects the chakras, only pulses the root three times and releases at the bottom and top of the breath, stops attention at the brow and brings the white light down from the crown into the brow followed by the rest of the chakras. The AYP spinal breathing is simply tracing the spinal nerve without the chakra visualzations and while maintaining sambhavi and root lock. I'm not familiar with Kriya Pranayama, but is it more similar to Paulsen's than AYP's?

Thanks.

TI
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  8:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Chela7,
One last point.. you will find that sometimes, when you get very deep or sit for extended periods of time, you will naturally go into sambhavi. According to AYP lessons, this is ok. However, to begin with you should not split your attention by performing sambhavi while meditating.
Also, the AYP spinal breathing is a technique that eventually incorporates sambhavi. It is used mainly for it's energetic stimulation, I think.. In my opinion, performing sambhavi is a method of dissolving the winds into the central channel (sushumna).

If you don't mind me asking a few questions...
How old are you?
How long have you been doing the SRF Energization Exercises?
When you say "Kriya Pranayama is pretty much exactly like AYP spinal breathing", have you ever read "Norman Paulsen's Sacred Science"? In that book he describes Spinal Breathing, but he connects the chakras, only pulses the root three times and releases at the bottom and top of the breath, stops attention at the brow and brings the white light down from the crown into the brow followed by the rest of the chakras. The AYP spinal breathing is simply tracing the spinal nerve without the chakra visualzations and while maintaining sambhavi and root lock. I'm not familiar with Kriya Pranayama, but is it more similar to Paulsen's than AYP's?

Thanks.

TI

Hi Tibetan Ice,

I am pushing 30 years old, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I have been practicing the SRF Energization Exercises on and off for a long time, but I am trying to be more consistent.

The Kriya Proper or Kriya Pranayama of SRF is the same as AYP spinal breathing, the only difference is that it is done with the mouth open, mulabandha is not applied and the eyebrows are not knitted when doing sambhavi.

In your opinion,if I exclude the energization exercises from my routine will I lose much benefit as far as kundalini awakening is concerned? Can these exercises be done instead of Kunlun?

Thank you TI

-Chela7

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Tibetan Ice,

I am pushing 30 years old, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I have been practicing the SRF Energization Exercises on and off for a long time, but I am trying to be more consistent.

The Kriya Proper or Kriya Pranayama of SRF is the same as AYP spinal breathing, the only difference is that it is done with the mouth open, mulabandha is not applied and the eyebrows are not knitted when doing sambhavi.

In your opinion,if I exclude the energization exercises from my routine will I lose much benefit as far as kundalini awakening is concerned? Can these exercises be done instead of Kunlun?

Thank you TI

-Chela7

Thank you for the information..
You are asking me very hard questions. For one, the SRF energization exercises are excellent and probably, with a good teacher, the whole SRF teachings would take you there. If you studied the SRF lessons, you would not only know how to control the divine energy, use it to heal yourself and others, read minds and a number of other esoteric practices.. Kriya Yoga is highly regarded and you could probably spend a lifetime just with their teachings.

AYP has practices, lessons that you can follow, but the structure is looser; you are at liberty to pick and choose which practices to perform. The base building blocks are to start with "I AM" meditation and once you have a modicum of inner silence, you can start to add other practices like spinal breathing, YMK etc. Again, there are great resources in this forum and AYP has started holding retreats where you can meet experienced practitioners. One of the main ideas in AYP is that you clear the blockages and tune your system in preparation for kundalini awakening, rather than activate kundalini straight off and risk overload or other detrminental side-effects. You will hear alot about staying away from the crown and self-pacing. There is some value in these concepts.

Kulun is a totally different thing. I did take a kunlun seminar and I wrote a short post about it here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....age=11#73499

Kulun is like practicing no-mind, opening etheric pathways through reflexing shaking and using Taoist practices like the inner smile, chi cultivation and storing it in the lower tan tien. Like I've mentioned in other posts, shaking is a good way to open etheric pathways; I even have an Osho DVD on kundalini meditation that uses dance and shaking as part of the meditation. There are also those kulun practitioners who swear that all they need to become fully realized is Kunlun and Red Phoenix.. It may be true, life is short...

If you want to activate your kundalini, and you have experience as a meditator and in yogic practices, I would recommend trying the following kundalini meditation: http://www.crystalinks.com/kundalini.html

I did this meditation twice and was quite successful. One warning though, if you do this properly and succeed, you won't want to have sex for many months after because it just pales in comparison. Also, if something goes wrong and you overload or have a bad experience, remember that you chose to try it. There are many complaints about having to pick up the pieces here in this forum. Typical kundalini bad effects come from not taking her to the crown, from kundalini rising in either ida or pingala, or worse yet, getting stuck and then trucking around your system attacking organs along the way as she tries to find shiva.

Actually, this is not a bad video on kundalini (there are three parts):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9290408

I hope you have also read the classics like "Gopi Krishna's Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man." and "Autobiography of a Yogi", the "Baghavad Gita", "I AM THAT by Nisargadatta"...

And then again, here is one of my favorite resources, Gurudeva and "Merging with Shiva":
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...ontents.html

In any spiritual practice, the speed at which you progress is based on a number of factors:
1) Your level or karmic development
2) Your understanding of the practices and performing them correctly
3) Your earnestness and dedication
4) Discovering the method that works for you.

Where does it all end? I don't know. Lately I'm favoring Ramana and Nisargadatta and self-inquiry. Who is having all these experiences? Who am I? Just sit, focus on the feeling of "I AM" and ignore everything else that happens. Just ask, "to whom is this experience occuring?" and sit in silence..

A good word of advice is this: Try to stick to one body of practices at a time. Don't mix and match practices from one teaching to another. Or, if you do, keep them quite separate, practice them at different times and try to research the ill-effects of doing so. The main problem with mixing practices is that if something happens (good or bad) you don't really know what caused it, one practice or the other, or perhaps a combination. As well, some practices' effects have a rebound effect which doesn't manifest until a day or two after.. Something to think about.

I agree with Yogani, you are in it for the long haul, not the short sprint. It is important to establish a routine and stick to it.

It is also important to understand what you are doing, not just doing something blindly because someone else is doing it.

Hopefully I've given you enough insite so that you can answer your own questions. I'm not a guru and I don't feel right telling people what to do. I can only share my experiences and knowledge, for what little that may be worth..

TI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000