Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Visualizing deities during SB Pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

broken heart

India
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  07:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
AYP's strategy of keeping things simple and focusing on tracing the spinal nerve alone may not suite everybody. I tend to drift away into thoughts very often while doing this way. The lessons may say thoughts are normal but that can become too comfortable of an excuse for not trying to be sincere enough during Yoga. There is a Tamil work called Bogar's 7000 written in ancient times by a Yogi called Boganathar. He describes a male and female deity at each of the 6 Chakras, and asks to worship each of them along the way from bottom to top. I find that doing this helps to concentrate more. It also reminds one that the body is indeed the temple of God where greater things are happening than in one's external world about which one constantly worries/thinks about even during Yoga sessions.
After doing this, my Pranayama cycles have gone slower, taking about 4 minutes per cycle without even doing the breath retention at the top (except for a short pause enough to worship the deities there).

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 24 2012 3:33:02 PM

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  2:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
4 minutes per cycle with one inhalalation/exhalation sounds very extreme. Or do you let the breath as it is and just trace the sushumna with your attention and visualization?

You can try it out, it is a different technique in the end.

Spinal breathing for much longer than 30 secs up and 30 secs down does not increase its efficiency anymore. In general ~ 45 secs for up and down together is regarded as the optimum length within kriya yogic lineages.

If you go jogging, neither running too slow, nor too fast will give the desired result. The same goes for weight lifting. If you tense the muscle too slowly and relax too slowly, it may not be as effective as a midlength over a time of lets say some minutes.

In the same way the results will speak for themselves with your spinal breathing practice or the variation you interpreted into the writings of Boganathar.

Not to forget that AYP has its own combination of techniques which complement one another and will give the described results over some time. The practice you mention may give good results aswell when integrated in its own environement of guru and practices. But do you know the full teaching of Boganathar? That which he says will give sure and safe success.

The moment you start combining and testing, you can be sure that either sooner or later things will not progress as it was intented. Yet the good news is, that in this age we have access to all this knowledge so easily and so early in our lifetime, that some testing in the beginning will be no problem and even good for clearing things up.

Wish you the best on your journey into the depths of your nick =)

lovely greetings
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

broken heart

India
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  03:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

4 minutes per cycle with one inhalalation/exhalation sounds very extreme. Or do you let the breath as it is and just trace the sushumna with your attention and visualization?

I just concentrate more. I did not try to extend the duration, it happened as a side effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Holy
The moment you start combining and testing, you can be sure that either sooner or later things will not progress as it was intented.

Then how is AYP flexible and open to scrutiny if we can't customize it for individuals? With all these years of doing simple SB I haven't even located the spinal nerve, and life is ebbing away, which is why I tried something different. I have to wait a little more to say whether this is more effective than visualizing the thread alone.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  03:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Broken Heart,

A lot of people cannot 'see' the spinal nerve during SB, they just feel the energy moving up from the root to the third eye, slightly lagging behind your awareness as it moves from root to third eye - and that is perfectly ok. The chakras will open in random sequence (depends on individual) at some point.

No harm in trying this new way - good luck

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Then how is AYP flexible and open to scrutiny if we can't customize it for individuals?
There is a thread for modifications of the main AYP system where people can report back from experience what they altered and what the results were. As far as I know the thread did not continue much as most people already found more than enough methods in AYP alone.

The problem in altering systems is, you don't have the full perspective of causes and effects. The alteration may be for your good or not. Not that this really is a problem :)

quote:
With all these years of doing simple SB I haven't even located the spinal nerve, and life is ebbing away, which is why I tried something different.
If you do DM + SBP and nothing good came out of the practice over the years, then I'm with you fully. In that case you should really!!! press the gaspedal and add mudras and bandhas into the routine + increase the duration of SBP. But if you had good results in daily life and just cannot perceive the spinal nerve too well, then there is nothing to worry about. Just continue the practice and if it does not satisfy your bhakti, then you can still press the gas pedal a little more ;)

There is a lesson for undersensitive practitioners aswell, somewhere in the range of 3xx.

quote:
I have to wait a little more to say whether this is more effective than visualizing the thread alone.
A suggestion is to repeat the switch twice, meaning: 1. your varation e.g. for a month, 2. SBP for a month, 3. again your variation for a month. This is important as the longterm-aftereffects of SBP will fuse with the new technique and overall it will look like wow, but later if you switch to SBP again and get another maybe even stronger wow, then the first wow will get its "true" position of effectivity. And yet this testing won't give you any hint about the longterm results.

Happy finding out what works best for you :)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

quote:
There is a lesson for undersensitive practitioners aswell, somewhere in the range of 3xx.

It's here:

http://www.aypsite.org/366.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000