Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 New Discovery About Cause of Tinnitus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Interesting new research just released. Much more can be found online:

HAMILTON - Attention tinnitus sufferers — that annoying ringing in your ears is actually all in your head.

A research team from McMaster University, the University of Calgary and four U.S. universities says it has pinpointed the source of tinnitus.

Surprisingly, it's not the ear.

McMaster professor Larry Roberts and his co-authors report there's evidence the high-pitched ringing or hissing noise tinnitus sufferers hear is generated by neurons firing in the brain, not the ear.

"Tinnitus itself is not actually generated by irritative processes in the ear but it's generated by changes that take place in the brain when neurons in the brain lose some of their input from the ear," Roberts said Thursday in an interview from Ottawa.

The phantom intermittent or sometimes constant ringing or buzzing sound in the ears affects millions of people worldwide.

Barbra Streisand has it. So does William Shatner. Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Moby, U2's The Edge and Metallica's Lars Ulrich have all said they suffer from it.

Ten to 12 per cent of the population has it but only one to two per cent are so disabled by it that they seek treatment, Roberts estimated.

Roberts, who's had the condition himself for 15 years, said tinnitus is brought on by changes in the brain that take place when someone suffers hearing loss from noise exposure or aging.

Some medications, infections or disease of the middle ear can also cause tinnitus. Fatigue can worsen it.

Not everyone with hearing loss has tinnitus. But some people who get a hearing aid find their tinnitus is lessened, the professor said.

The activity of the neurons is modulated by chemicals in the brain that fluctuate over time.

"Some of the variations in the strength or loudness of tinnitus may be related to these modulatory neurochemicals," he said.

Some people can also alter the loudness and pitch of their tinnitus by clenching their jaw or tensing their neck muscles, the researchers reported.

Tinnitus is most common after age 60, where eight to 20 per cent of adults are affected. But chronic tinnitus can occur at any age and is a major cause of service–related disability in soldiers returning from Afghanistan or Iraq, the researchers said.

Honing in on the source of the tinnitus won't lead to a direct treatment. But it does provide a greater understanding of what's happening to tinnitus sufferers, Roberts said.

Studies suggest hearing loss among young people is on the rise. There may be an increase in tinnitus cases as more people suffer mild hearing losses from recreational sound, including cellphones and iPods, said Roberts.

He called for public policy to be developed on prevention of hearing loss. Roberts noted public opinion has been swayed on the dangers of cigarette smoking. He'd like to see something similar to protect hearing.

The research is in an article published in the latest edition of The Journal of Neuroscience.

Roberts will be part of a symposium presenting the research at the Society for Neuroscience meetings in San Diego on Sunday.

— By Pat Hewitt in Toronto

Edited by - AYPforum on Nov 18 2010 02:02:08 AM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interesting article, i've had it in my left ear for almost 2 years and a half now because of a kumbhaka practice in the first place. And i've found that kundalini overloading symptoms and too much work or fatigue contribute a lot to the increase in it's volume.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda, thanks so much for your kind remarks! I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I have tinnitus - mostly in my left "ear" - as well. What I found most interesting in the article, is that it was found that neural firing, "modulated by chemicals in the brain that fluctuate over time", actually produces the "sounds" - not ear damage per se. As you know, inner sounds in yoga are a subject of much discussion. This study shows that they need not necessarily arise from ear damage, as they are produced by chemically modulated neuron firing. So, it seems possible that other things might cause such symptoms, by modulating chemicals in the brain. Possibly such things as meditation, kundalini/prana flow, electro-magnetic fields, foods, lunar proximity - who knows what! All the best, dfb.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I hope that research will eventually lead to healing methods. Just not another pill commercial everywhere you look. :)
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  5:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, hopefully this means a step closer to alleviating it, it doesn't bother me so much at the moment but would be nice to help others.

A little while ago I started looking into the Ayurvedic explanation + treatment of tinnitus, they call it Karna nada here is some info: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/...na_nada.html , others may or may not find this but I experience all of the other Vata disturbances that the author mentions.

I haven't taken any of the steps suggested yet, too busy, but intend to when I have the time, perhaps a thread should be started to see if ayurvedic treatment can alleviate it???

If anyone has the time and money to try all of the Ayurvedic interventions I'm sure others would be interested to hear if they work, same goes for acupuncture.

There is further info here at the end of the thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8442

Love. x
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  02:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  02:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the inspiration dear Jono.

I might give this a try: http://implant-acupuncture-lebanon....innitus.html

I've just sent them an email and will wait to hear from them, or just call after wards.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  6:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome Ananda, let me know how it all goes.

Love. . x
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  03:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Still haven't heard from them yet, might call them later and have some info on the subject.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  02:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Update:

I haven't called the German doctor yet.

I thought about giving it another shot the modern way, I went to an hospital that specializes in the ear and eye subject. I've had an ear scan and hearing test, and it's tinnitus alright. There's no infection whatsoever and my hearing is great plus my ears don't need any cleaning (couldn't put your advice into action dear Swaha, sorry doctor's advice.)

I will take on a medication which the doctor over there prescribed for a couple of weeks and see how things go and check with the doctor again. If the symptoms remain the same, then i shall call the German doctor. This way I would've exhausted modern medicine and then went into acupuncture treatment.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

swaha

Lebanon
88 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  03:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

There's no infection whatsoever and my hearing is great plus my ears don't need any cleaning (couldn't put your advice into action dear Swaha, sorry doctor's advice.)

hey Ananda!!! CAN YOU HEAR MEEEE? :o)
good to hear ur hearing is great

hope the tinnitus thing will be fixed soon

love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000