Enlightenment Milestones
 Seeming inability to be serious
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ok, so....

There has been a major "shift" here. It didn't happen over night, and really I can't say when it happened, it has probably been an ongoing process forever, but in hindsight, there has definitely been a shift. It is hard (no, impossible) to define exactly what has happened, but there is essentially non-stop spontaneous joy and wonder here all the time now....a feeling of "elatedness" that hasn't left in about a week or maybe even two. But what has been quite surprising to find though, is that my "compassion" has essentially gone on a bit of a hiatus. Decided to take a bit of a vacation from "me" in a sense.

What is being noticed here right now, is that with this increasing sense of joy and wonderment at the beauty and simplicity of it all, there has been (at least a momentary) loss of compassion. Well, I guess, this is not totally true, or at least not the best way of stating what is happening. Perhaps it would be better explained by saying that my "social etiquette" has gone bye bye. I have two or three times in the past week or so alone, noticed that I have had uncontrollable spontaneous laughter happen at some quite "inopportune" times. Basically I have had a few situations where people have been "dumping" on me (unloading baggage that has nothing to do with me, I am just being used as a sounding board) and I have broken out into spontaneous laughter. This has basically hurt the person's feelings because I was seemingly very uncompassionate to their suffering. This laughter was not "intended" though....it just happened of itself. There was no oppotunity to control it, no opportunity to squelch it, it just happened, and it was very much enjoyed here. Not very helpful for the person that was upset though. In fact quite the opposite. Everytime this has happened, the person has felt that I am "laughing at them" and their suffering. This is not really true. I am really laughing at the absurdity of EVERYTHING, even though it may or may not have been triggered by the absurdity of their suffering. I don't want to be/seem incompassionate, there really is lots of compassion for others here, it just appears that lately I have been unable to SEEM compassionate to others because I have no ability to be "serious".

Has anybody had a phase like this before? Are you willing to offer some advice?

Love!

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh dear ... spontaneous laughter is very serious indeed

Only kidding! Yes, it happens semi-frequently, and when it first occurred some few years back, it apparently upset quite a few friends and family members. It's difficult because, as you describe, it wells up out of nowhere, and people find it odd or disconcerting. Heck, it was disconcerting to me!

It comes and it goes and will no doubt continue to do so. Apparently some were offended at my inability to take seriously what they were saying. Unfortunately, at the time, that seemed hilarious too.

At a guess, I'd say it's a symptom of euphoria, for want of a better description. A sort of overflowing of joy, perhaps? Maybe best not to worry at all about how you 'seem' to be - what's in your heart?

Your post is tickling my funny bone now, so I'll stop
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi amoux Thanks for chiming in

quote:
Apparently some were offended at my inability to take seriously what they were saying. Unfortunately, at the time, that seemed hilarious too.

Yeah, this is exactly what has happened here as well. It's kinda like this Jeff Foster video "All That's Left is Laughter" :http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=&...798852416619 except it was just me laughing, and the other person was being serious. In the video, both Jeff and his friend begin to laugh uncontrollably after hearing the questions his friend had written down and wanted to ask Adyashanti....laughing because, when seen through a "clear lense", the questions were really so absurd it was impossible not to laugh like crazy. Now picture someone else asking these questions, in all seriousness, and having just Jeff laugh his ass of at the absurdity of the questions. Not very "socially acceptable" behavior. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem as the laughter would be seen to be arising and could be held back. But lately this hasn't seemed to be an option here. The laughter just happens, no noticing of it arising happens, it just appears right as it is happening. And I come off like a complete ass....which I likely am

quote:
At a guess, I'd say it's a symptom of euphoria, for want of a better description. A sort of overflowing of joy, perhaps? Maybe best not to worry at all about how you 'seem' to be - what's in your heart?

Yes, definitely a sense of constant euphoria happening here right now. In the original post I described it as "elatedness", but euphoria is a good desciption of it as well. I don't expect that this euphoria will continue like it is forever, I'm sure it will either die down or it will be integrated sooner or later, but I am certainly enjoying it in this moment right now!

I'm not "worried" at all about this. It all seems very funny to me. BUT I would like to stop upsetting others by my seeming inability to be serious. In my heart there is lightness, laughter, joy, love, wonder, awe, etc etc etc.... in my heart there is a continuous appreciation/celebration for/of Life. I would just like to "come off" a bit more compassionate then I am right now I guess. I'll release this into silence and I'm sure it will happen on it's own

Love!
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, It could be that your heart is trying to relieve it's excess energy that way. Your acupuncturist, if you're still seeing her, might be able to help with that.

In my case, which happened about year ago, applying acupressure at pericardium-6 point (http://www.acupuncture.com/educatio...dium/pc5.htm) did the trick amazingly well. In my experience, also pericardium-7 and 5 might help, too.
Anyway, I believe the key is relieving the 'heart/fire energy' (in the daoist 5 element system, that is).

Edited by - atena on Sep 10 2010 2:01:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Atena

Yes, what you say seems quite possible. My "heart" (not physical heart so much, although there are some of these sensations in the physical heart as well) feels very "light"....very open, very "airy", very euphoric, very giddy. And the stomach seems to feel very "stimulated" for lack of a better term. I feel (and have 24/7 for over a week now) like I have taken some of the best MDMA (the drug often called ecstasy) ever made....except the "high" hasn't subsided at all, and has in fact increased. "Drunk on Life/Love" would be a good phrase for how I am feeling right now.

I will be seeing my acupuncturist again in a week or two (a few days before the next full moon) and will have her perhaps needle this/these spot(s) if the "problem" (I can't help but yelp in laughter as I write the word "problem") persists 'till then.

If I do some accupressure in the meantime, how exactly do I know if I am applying pressure at the correct spot on the forearm?

Thanks for the help!

Love!

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woa. Just realized another "by-product" of this "shift".....

I have had a bit of a "sex addiction" since I was a kid. Ok, not "a bit" of a sex addiction, but a "serious" one. Probably averaging at least 1 (albeit blocked) orgasm a day since I started AYPractices....before that, well, there were several (non-blocked) orgasms every single day for a lot of years. I just realized that I have only had 1 (blocked) orgasm in the past week (during sexual intimacy with my wife) and that I haven't even THOUGHT about sex other then when it was happening. Wow. That's a "big deal" for me. Don't know exactly how this lack of sexual thoughts coincides with this "shift", but it has, at least timing-wise. And the fact that it has taken me over a week to realize this has happened is a bit of a "wow" in itself Hahahaha

Love!

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I'm not "worried" at all about this. It all seems very funny to me. BUT I would like to stop upsetting others by my seeming inability to be serious. In my heart there is lightness, laughter, joy, love, wonder, awe, etc etc etc.... in my heart there is a continuous appreciation/celebration for/of Life. I would just like to "come off" a bit more compassionate then I am right now I guess. I'll release this into silence and I'm sure it will happen on it's own

Sorry Carson, my bad phrasing - should perhaps have written 'not concern yourself unduly' rather than 'worry'. I guess it's more like (or was in my case) how to keep my unruly sense of humour in reasonable (socially-appropriate) bounds. What worked for me was to just excuse myself, abruptly if necessary, and dash to the bathroom or kitchen or garden - anywhere where for a couple of minutes I could let the laughter bubble out. It did smooth out over a couple of weeks or so.

Thinking about it now, it's clear that these episodes relate closely to shifts or openings or whatever - I'm thinking maybe the laughter is an outer expression of an inner release?

Also, I don't think it's anything to do with innate compassion. It's more like looking at things from an expanded perspective. The last experience I had of it was when I was quite seriously ill, and all at once out of nowhere the comedic aspects of the situation just overwhelmed the 'gravity' of the situation, and laughter resulted. But you're quite right, the appearance of compassion in the eye of the beholder might be 'conspicuous by its absence'.

BTW - Jeff's video was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your original post
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to her, she will know 10 times better the exact points what to needle as a professional. I've absolutely no training at making tcm / ccm diagnosis. I'm just a amateur, who likes to try stuff for himself

If you're pressing a point which happens to have a big blockage in it, it should almost instantly feel very relieving/soothing, and 'right'. So you'll know it when you find 'the sweet spot'. Self-acupressure is very forgiving art. So no harm done if you don't find the exact acuspot you're trying to locate, or are pressing a point that doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Trying something like 15 or more points at one session might cause some kind of overload, when accompanied with other spiritual practices, but in my experience, acupressure is overall very gentle, flexible and safe practice. It shouldn't cause any dramatic energy disturbances. Hope this helps. I've played a lot with this practice, but I'm definitely not a expert

Edited by - atena on Sep 10 2010 3:40:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  4:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, we cross-posted. I'd like to add, that even though from one perspective this inappropriate laughter thing could be perceived as a heart/fire imbalance in the taoist system, I also remember it being quite fun state to be in, expect for the inappropriate part of it, but even that is fun when feeling like that, yea
Very 'politically incorrect' state, imho. Have fun!

I actually had pretty nice shift / opening in the process of writing these posts, so thanks for starting the thread!
Very ironical too. I was writing how to 'correct' the heart imbalance and opened mine a bit in the process. Still, it doesn't change at all the meaning of all the information I wrote in this thread. Now I'll just view it more like as a pretty fun imbalance

Edited by - atena on Sep 11 2010 03:54:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson, I had fun reading this thread, it has funny energy to it so thanks!!!

Lately besides some cloudy and mindy moments, I also have like a "giddy" energy welling up, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with ecstatic conductivity! Super!!

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha your post made me laugh.

It reminded me when I was in the car just waiting with the dog in the passenger seat. And I looked around at the cars, and the wind blowing through the trees and just starting laughing like the Joker (Nicholson) in Batman for a long time. At absurdity of everything, but not knowing what it was I was laughing at. That made me laugh more. I looked at my dog and he just turned his head and looked at me, like "what the hell is up with you? So immature.", and then he turned and looked straight ahead again, in disgust. That sent me over the edge.

It was great because there was all this blissful energy just was exploding out of my chest/ heart and I felt great.

I don't mind if I turn into the Joker, but i'll prefer to leave out the sadistic, psychopathic, criminal mastermind stuff.

Edited by - woosa on Sep 10 2010 8:22:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I just wanted to point out the other side of this. I am just a beginner in all this and I will admit I do not understand most things and am defintely not well educated in spirituality.

In my opinion, that Jeff Foster video is mean and hurtful. I can see it from the perspective of the person asking the questions as I am now someone asking questions (as you all were at some point) I think of him and how he must have had a real desire to find answers to these questions if he even asked them in the first place. So then, how do you think he feels knowing that the questions he honestly wanted answers for, are seen as being funny ones(i.e. stupid questions)

To be honest, it makes it hard to even want to post questions on this forum as I know that if you guys (more enlightened ones), think that the questions are redundant or whatever, your just going to laugh at me for them. How am I to know at the point I'm at whether or not the question is funny or seemingly stupid. I don't understand what you guys understand yet. Or see things as you do.

It's like when your standing at the top of a steep hill. It doesn't look that steep from your view point and it is comical to watch how other people are struggling to climb up it. It's so easy to look down and laugh at them. But what you are forgetting is how YOU yourself struggled up it when you were making your own ascent up. How would you have felt looking up in the midst of your struggles to see the people at the top looking down on you and laughing?

I see your guys reactions to things as having a very large lack in compassion. (I know that's the point of your thread right, CarsonZi) But is this something that will be lost with the gain of inner silence? Am I going to start not caring how my actions are going to effect other people because, hey, I'm happy and it doesn't bother me, so it's your fault that it causes you pain.

I'm even having a hard time wanting to post this because, hey, it's probably pretty funny that I would even think like this let alone say it right?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LucienneK and welcome to the AYP forums

quote:
Originally posted by LucienneK

I just wanted to point out the other side of this. I am just a beginner in all this and I will admit I do not understand most things and am defintely not well educated in spirituality.

This is truly a blessing (perhaps in disguise from your perspective). Have you ever heard the saying, "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." (Shunryu Suzuki-Roshi). Well, for many of us who are well read in spiritual literature and traditions, we come to the table with a full plate (mind) already. We have difficulties because we are so busy trying to fit our experiences into a mental framework we have constructed around how we think things are "supposed" to be, based on what we have read things are supposed to be like, that we have a hard time letting go of our "head knowledge" in favor of "heart knowledge". This keeps us living from the mind and not embracing things as they already are. Coming to the table with an empty plate (mind) is truly a blessing. When we come to "spiritual practices" with no preconcieved notions of how things are "supposed" to play out, then we can just allow things to be as they are much easier.

quote:

In my opinion, that Jeff Foster video is mean and hurtful.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. I certainly didn't post that video with the intention of hurting anyone's feelings, and I'm quite sure that Jeff Foster didn't post that video hoping to make fun of those who "still have questions". I hope you can see that.

quote:

I can see it from the perspective of the person asking the questions as I am now someone asking questions (as you all were at some point) I think of him and how he must have had a real desire to find answers to these questions if he even asked them in the first place. So then, how do you think he feels knowing that the questions he honestly wanted answers for, are seen as being funny ones(i.e. stupid questions)

Lets just take a quick look at the first question, and perhaps we can see exactly what makes it (and this video) so funny.

The first question asked, the one that spawned all the laughter, was:
"Once the ego has gone, will there be just a spontaneous flow of the Universe manifesting?"

This is funny for a couple of reasons (IMO). One, the ego is never gone. It will be there until the day we die. We can let go of our beliefs in egoic thoughts, but there will always be ego as long as we are in human form. And two, when ISN'T there a spontaneous flow of the Universe manifesting? Hahahahahaha

quote:

To be honest, it makes it hard to even want to post questions on this forum as I know that if you guys (more enlightened ones), think that the questions are redundant or whatever, your just going to laugh at me for them.

No one here is going to laugh at you for asking questions. Like you said, we have all spent time asking questions. So please, ask whatever you feel the need to ask, and don't think twice about it.

quote:

How am I to know at the point I'm at whether or not the question is funny or seemingly stupid. I don't understand what you guys understand yet. Or see things as you do.

There are as many perspectives as there are people. Everyone has at least a slightly different perspective...that's part of what makes this existence so beautiful! If we all had the same perspective this place would be pretty mundane and boring IMO! Your perspective is no less "right" then anyone else's and there is no need for you to not ask questions for fear of seeming stupid to someone else. I'm sure many of the people you call "more enlightened ones" seem incredibly stupid to a LOT of people. Perhaps they just don't care how they "seem" to another anymore and are free to just be themselves now....I don't know.

quote:

It's like when your standing at the top of a steep hill. It doesn't look that steep from your view point and it is comical to watch how other people are struggling to climb up it. It's so easy to look down and laugh at them. But what you are forgetting is how YOU yourself struggled up it when you were making your own ascent up. How would you have felt looking up in the midst of your struggles to see the people at the top looking down on you and laughing?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I would have felt $hitty. And I did on many occassions in fact. That is, until I realized that the struggle in climbing the mountain is part of the beauty of it All. There is nothing that needs to be rejected. Everything can be embraced for what it is.... a beautiful part of Life....the Universe spontaneously manifesting itself. Then the struggle (which is still just as much of a struggle) can just be relaxed into and enjoyed. Then there is laughter. You don't have to be on top of the mountain to spend your life laughing non-stop. Life becomes infinitely more enjoyable when we learn to not take ourselves so seriously and are able to laugh at our own stupidity. To me, the only "stupid" thing is to be too serious. Then we miss out on the joy in Life. This whole thing is a big joke, a great big cosmic joke.

quote:

I see your guys reactions to things as having a very large lack in compassion. (I know that's the point of your thread right, CarsonZi)

Right. Exactly. It is quite easy to SEEM uncompassionate when you are laughing while others are crying. But really, there is still plenty of compassion here. It only seems there isn't. Things are often other then how they seem.

quote:

But is this something that will be lost with the gain of inner silence?

I think everyone will have a different experience. I can only speak from my own. In my experience, with the "gaining" of inner silence there was also a gaining of compassion...and also a gaining of joy despite the external circumstances and many other "gainings". What is "compassionate" is pretty relative and based on personal perspective. What may seem compassionate to one may seem uncompassionate to another and vice versa. So no, I don't think that with the gaining of inner silence there will be a loss in compassion....but that is just my perspective.

quote:

Am I going to start not caring how my actions are going to effect other people because, hey, I'm happy and it doesn't bother me, so it's your fault that it causes you pain.

I don't think so. With the gaining of inner silence comes the release of the identification with the "individual self". We begin to see everyone as our "self". So when others suffer, we suffer too. But we don't hold onto that suffering. We then do what we are inclined to do in order to help alleviate that suffering (this is my experience anyways). That doesn't necessarily mean coddling someone and their suffering, although it could. Perhaps our inclination is to spur inquiry about WHY they are suffering, or to encourage them to start a practice of deep meditation, or any other number of possibilities (all of which are both compassionate AND uncompassionate, depending on your perspective).

quote:

I'm even having a hard time wanting to post this because, hey, it's probably pretty funny that I would even think like this let alone say it right?

I'm glad you did post this...and I'm glad you are here at the forums.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  1:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luciennek

Overtime I have realised what a big deal people make out of small things. Which I find funny, sometimes, because its like they are in character too much, you know? People become their job title, their salary, consumed by road rage, keeping in competition with their neighbours' car or pot plant in the window. This makes people suffer and its just so pointless.

"...an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s*** we don't need."
(The the novel/ film Fight Club)

In my eyes no question is redundant, and I can hazard a guess that everyone here doesn't think so too... or else how would this forum exist? And why are people still here? We are all here to help each other.

Maybe I will find out more in the forthcoming decades of practice, maybe you will too, and they you won't need to watch videos of 'enlightened' people.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome, Luci

I hope you will continue to post and not feel discouraged. We're all here to help and encourage each other. Nobody I know of wants to discourage dialog here. These conversations help a lot more people than just who's participating in them.

What I saw in the video was that the laughter wasn't personal. I feel that they were laughing at the mind, not the person with the questions. Sometimes I laugh at my own mind when I see what it's doing. The mind has a kind of beautiful innocence to it, and sometimes it's hard not to be amused by what it comes up with.

I could be wrong about the video. Maybe Jeff Foster is just a jerk, like that dude Carson ().

quote:

How would you have felt looking up in the midst of your struggles to see the people at the top looking down on you and laughing?

I would not assume that they're laughing at me. I can safely say this because this is what I do in real life, when I see people looking at me and laughing. There's sometimes a temptation to believe they're laughing at me, but I can't really know for sure.

Hope to hear more from you in the future. Happy journeys

Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Sep 16 2010 12:41:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  11:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone and thank you for your loving responses,

First of all I want to say that I am not very good at voicing my thoughts. Usually it takes me a good couple of days, to think all the way through what is on my mind, until I can piece it all together into a resemblence of what I would like to say. But I wanted to try and respond to you right away so please bear with my ramblings.

I would like to apoligize for the negativity and anger in my original post. I didn't realize when I was writing it that it sounded that way. But now coming back to it I can see that it does sound a little cranky. I have since realized (Thanks to Shanti's wonderful guidence)that I have been overloading myself recently which is why I have been feeling really frustrated and confused. (still do a little bit but since I have spaced out my practices and relaxed, I have been feeling much better)And it could have been coming out in my writing.

This brings me to the next thing,

I would like to make a little bit of a confession here.
I won't be needing to respond to all that Carson wrote to me as I have already done so right here in our living room. Yes, if you haven't guessed it I am Carson's wife.
I don't want to get into all the details on why I chose to keep it a secret but one reason is because I didn't want anybody here to have any preconceived notions, due to the things Carson has previously written about me on this forum, affect their responses to me. I have realized that that is a little ridiculous so I have decided to come out of hiding. Ahhhh... that feels much better.

This is probably another reason why there was a little bit of anger in my post. Because I am the one that he has been laughing at when I have been feeling hurt and confused. I guess I still had some hurt feelings over that and it came out in my writings. I know now that he didn't mean to laugh at me in a hurtful way but it's really hard to see that when it's happening eh? (yes I am Canadian!)

@Woosa
quote:
Overtime I have realised what a big deal people make out of small things. Which I find funny, sometimes, because its like they are in character too much, you know? People become their job title, their salary, consumed by road rage, keeping in competition with their neighbours' car or pot plant in the window. This makes people suffer and its just so pointless.

"...an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s*** we don't need."
(The the novel/ film Fight Club)

Thank you for this and I understand your point but I'm sorry I don't understand what it is in reference to. If you could, would you please explain it to me? Thanks.

@Cosmic
quote:
I could be wrong about the video. Maybe Jeff Foster is just a jerk, like that dude Carson ().

I'm sure that Jeff Foster isn't a jerk but that Carson dude, hmmmmmm maybe (to Carson!)

quote:
What I saw in the video was that the laughter wasn't personal. I feel that they were laughing at the mind, not the person with the questions. Sometimes I laugh at my own mind when I see what it's doing. The mind has a kind of beautiful innocence to it, and sometimes it's hard not to be amused by what it comes up with.

I really like how you put this. Nice and simple and to the point just the way I like it. No long wordiness which makes it nice and easy for me to digest and understand. Your way of putting it really made it click in my mind. I see now how things were probably really happening on that video.

Thanks again to everyone for making me feel so welcome here. I should have known that I didn't have to worry about such a silly thing.
Love,
Luci

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  06:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luci

Just to chime in a little on this - the laughter really isn't personal. And it doesn't apparently go on for extended periods - at least not in my experience.

Jeff is a lovely, funny, compassionate guy. He was at a satsang I attended a few weeks back, and the laughter video came up in discussion. Scott Kiloby said that really the answer to the question posed could have been 'yes' - and that would have been perfect, or simply the laughter - also perfect

The problem is that language is conceptual, IOW people may believe that the words are actually the things they are conceptualising - as in believing that the words 'a piece of paper' have some kind of reality. Language, which is conceptual, is inherently dualistic. And non-duality teachers are trying to discuss unicity - or oneness - or nonduality, in conceptual dualistic terms! Which can't really be done - and sometimes, the overwhelming impossibility of that is seen, and the only response is hysterical laughter Thankfully they keep trying.

Lovely to have you here on the forum.

Much love - and hope you're getting some more sleep.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  12:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have had uncontrollable spontaneous laughter happen at some quite "inopportune" times

Haha :) makes me think of Dr. Hibbert from the Simpsons!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lucienne

That quote pretty much sums up my persepective at the moment, albeit more blissful! And it seems pretty condescending to someone who isn't at my level (I hate talking like that, but I don't know another way of putting it).

And I have a very long way to go, so I can't imagine how Jeff and his mate's views are understood by unenlightened people including me . They appear condescending to me. But we'll never know what they are experiencing, if we are on a different level of conciousness to them.

Edited by - woosa on Sep 17 2010 4:15:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luci

quote:

Yes, if you haven't guessed it I am Carson's wife.

Oh snap! The one time I say something mean about someone on here, and I say it to his wife...

I'm happy you found my words helpful.

Hope your overload symptoms pass quickly. Great to have you join us here

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

_Yogi_

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  1:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"noticed that I have had uncontrollable spontaneous laughter happen at some quite "inopportune" times." Ive been there lulz.

Nothings wrong with it, at least from my point of view lulz. Only thing I see that you are misinterpreting is compassion. The definition of compassion in Buddhism and the West are two totally different things. In the West it means to feel sorry for those less fortunate. In Buddhism what it really means is to experience love without an object, that is true compassion. They just dont use the word love because love usually means for an object.

First time I got to that state I said I finally found Zen. It lasted for 3 days and it felt like I laughed more in those 3 days than my entire life. ;)

Edited by - _Yogi_ on Nov 27 2011 1:59:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000