Enlightenment Milestones
 awakening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  8:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does one have to have a 'Dark night of the Soul' before one awakens as some books suggest? I sure as hell hope not. Depression and fear is a big reason I started meditating.
Thanks,
L

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  9:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no answer but one question...

If yes, will you quit?
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now I'd say I'd have to go on but I'd pray for courage. I've had some really horrible physical and psychological things happen to me. Don't wish to repeat any of it. But, once again, I think I'm committed this better way of life and all the people who try to live it.
Thanks,
L
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here....

I would just surrender and let him guide me on the way - whatever it goes through, and yes I would also pray for courage.

I think what you meant by 'Dark night of the Soul' is not a must, otherwise Yogani would have told that in his lessons for the sake of mental preparedness, IMO.

I would want to know what more experienced people thinks.

Love
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  01:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dark Night is a terminology used in Buddhism to describe some passing states that one might have to go through before final awakening happens. These states are often described to be negative (painful, depressive etc...)

Yogani doesnt say anything about it but says Pain is not a pre-requisite for inner peace in the below lesson

http://www.aypsite.org/168.html

A more directly related discussion on Dark Night of the soul
http://www.aypsite.org/161.html

- Near
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  03:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely went through that state. My memories are of being in for as long as I have been meditating. It came to a head when I recognised it for what it was and where it was. Then came the actual ' one dark night'. I suspect that you would inwardly know you are the type that is likely to experience this and have experienced bouts of it prior to meditation.

For those that are going through it and will go through it, remember it is not real, it is your personal method of forcing you up to the light. It's just like going through puberty. Some seem to sweep through effortlessly, others get cracked voices, acne and mood swings.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  05:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Near,

As I read through the lesson 161, it seems that more than feeling the pain and any helplessness associated with pain in general, the person has witnessed the pain to be there, while staying firm with the positivity, courage and hope, and in touch with inner guru.

I hope I will be able to keep my focus like that, should I go through a dark night.

@ Karl, thanks for sharing. How long did it last? Another thought is coming in my mind – can a dark night be triggered by over doing?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swan

@ Karl, thanks for sharing. How long did it last? Another thought is coming in my mind – can a dark night be triggered by over doing?

I was always a bit of a depressive and dramatist right throughout my life. Periods of melancholy have come and gone. The last two years have been more concentrated, though because I was also beginning to witness the balance was retained. I could manage to handle more because the witness allowed that.

The period it came to a head was a few hours long at most. At the time it was unpleasant, but I had made the decision that whatever happened it couldn't be worse than continuing to feel like that. So I went for broke. Death or dishonour

The relief was incredible. It is all head games of course. A version of scenery. Don't grab it, don't push it away, remain neutral and let it try and do its worst. Definitely a big leap at the time. In context it iwasnt such a big leap, it was just more drama, but when you are in the play it feels very real.

Just know that nothing can hurt you, it can hurt your ego but not you.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Death or dishonour

WOW
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i let the feelings take compelete hold me i witness them.witness the ideas...currently the unpleasant thought and feeling very quickly pass and i am quicky at ease again ,all smiles...minding my own business doing what present itself to be done NOW......such a funny game..really this mind is so funny... people NOT into yoga are way too serious about how they feel and think....
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  07:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to think like that. Watching everyone's little world, so important. Now, I barely notice unless called upon to interact. Instead it's like watching a tv show with the sound off, patterns of images, colours, movement, space, like the fall of snow in the headlights of a car on a dark night.

I also notice that the all know, that they just prefer to remain engrossed and ignorant and that's perfectly fine. Each in their own time, no hurry. Sometimes if talking to a friend, they are concerned about something and worried. I get them to notice and look inwards for a moment, their eyes reveal that they are briefly awake, then they fall asleep again. Like a deep hypnotic slumber they just don't want to get out of what is comfortable and familiar. Please don't wake me and I don't.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  4:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Instead it's like watching a tv show with the sound off,

2 months ago i had a similar experience for a whole day...

quote:
Sometimes if talking to a friend, they are concerned about something and worried. I get them to notice and look inwards for a moment, their eyes reveal that they are briefly awake, then they fall asleep again. Like a deep hypnotic slumber they just don't want to get out of what is comfortable and familiar. Please don't wake me and I don't.

you know the Beatles song I m only sleeping? ,the lyrics are quite deep plus the beautiful voice of John Lennon
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....6BC20013CA62

for the sage what is sleep according to majority is awakeness ...what is awakeness according to majority is sleep
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Guru is everywhere isn't it.

Even more significant by the Beatles, in which the floating down theme is repeated:

Turn off your mind relax and float down stream
It is not dying, it is not dying

Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void,
It is shining, it is shining.

Yet you may see the meaning of within
It is being, it is being

Love is all and love is everyone
It is knowing, it is knowing

And ignorance and hate mourn the dead
It is believing, it is believing

But listen to the colour of your dreams
It is not leaving, it is not leaving

So play the game "Existence" to the end
Of the beginning, of the beginning
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  02:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

i shared it with some friends few days back
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000