Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Norse mythology and yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey K-man,

This is slightly off-topic, but close enough....

Have you encountered any information of this kind about the vikings (i.e. Norse)?

Norse mythology seems to have a lot of potential to be looked at through a "yogic" lens. For example, Odin is a very mystical, ecstatic figure (much like Shiva). His whole story is a personal quest for self-realization and wisdom/gnosis.

I plan to re-read the Norse myths and see if there are any connections I wouldn't have seen before (pre-yoga). It would be interesting to get your take on it, if you have one.

Love
cosmic

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic,

This may be interesting to you...

http://www.aswynn.co.uk/index.php?o...6&Itemid=119

I'm also looking for Norse yoga. If you find anything cool in the myths please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Cosmic,
Can you let me know if you find anything as well, I really enjoy this type of thing
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  8:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Scott. Fascinating stuff! I'd never thought of the runes as being mantras and having connections to the chakras. Or Sliepnir being the sushumna.

Will keep you guys posted if I find anything in this vein.

There was an article I wish I could find about Odin's mead being amrita. It told the story of how he acquired it, and broke down every detail in yoga terms. The parallels were amazing, but I'm having difficulty finding the article.

Off the top of my head, the Rainbow Bridge (Bifrost) seems to symbolize the sushumna/chakra system. Then there's Odin giving up his right eye for wisdom - i.e. going from a dualistic to non-dualistic view.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  9:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about the runes, but am without a doubt that Yggdrasil is the central channel (sushumna).

I'm interested to read the mead/amrita article!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  9:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, here is an online mystery school's Teutonic (Norse) section...

http://northernway.org/school/onw/t...udyhall.html
http://northernway.org/school/onw/t...tDeg/sh.html

It is mostly re-constructionist based on Western Magick, but there is a lot of information there that is useful.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic, Scott & All,

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I don't have any info handy, but I'll see if I can find some of the things I've found in the past, and post them here.

Basically, Vedic social and spiritual systems and structures seems to have reached as far north as Ireland and the Norse countries.

It seems like nearly every indigenous population, especially with some semblance of civilization, in Asia and Europe, was highly influenced by ancient India ... something that modern research is finding more and more evidence for.

Ironically, lies like the Aryan Invasion Myth are still being taught as fact, and the staggering, positive influence of ancient India on the culture, science and spirituality of the rest of the world is .... not. At least not yet.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- Here's an interesting link on the linguistic side of things.

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jul 05 2010 10:24:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, thanks for the info on Bifrost (rainbow bridge). Very interesting. It may be related to the colors seen during meditation.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

I'm not sure about the runes, but am without a doubt that Yggdrasil is the central channel (sushumna).

Yes, I believe so too. As does the person who wrote this blog:

Yggdrasil and the Chakra System

He draws parallels between the 9 Norse worlds and the 7 chakras. He admits that he may not have the worlds/chakras matched up exactly, but it's an interesting read anyways.

Interestingly, Yggdrasil means "Steed of Yggr". Yggr is another name for Odin, so Yggdrasil would be another name for Sliepnir. This supports what the first link you posted said about Sliepnir being the sushumna.

Here's another one by the same blogger, which says Ymir (the first created being) is the original sound, i.e. OM:

Ginnungagap

Enjoy!
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  02:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just found an excellent book on the runes which I thought you'd enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Runes-Transfo...40776&sr=8-1
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very unusual info http://www.vrilology.org/runic_phys..._the_bir.htm
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! That seems to be very good info! Thanks selfonlypath.
Go to Top of Page

tetragrammaton

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  06:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit tetragrammaton's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very very interesting topic.

Especially for one on Indian descent in the UK!

That Vrilology link got my attention.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hei Cosmic

Just a few Norwegian kroner:

Yggdrasil: The tree of Life, the World tree. It is an Ash tree with branches stretching out all over the world - so I see the stem as the shushumna, but really it encompasses the whole nervous system. Yggdrasil could also be translated as "Odin's horse" (Ygg = Odin, drasil = horse)

Sleipnir: Odin's black 8 legged horse

Sleipnir ("slippery") is "the most beautiful horse in the world". Only Odin can ride Sleipnir. The horse runs just as well on water as on land as well as in the air. It can jump the fence to the Kingdom of Death: Hel (Helheim = the house of Hel), no other horse can do this. Sleipnir is the child of Svadilfare and Loke.

Huginn og Muninn: Odins two ravens (sits on his shoulders). Huginn = Thought and Muninn = Memory

Mjød: = Mead. Made of Honey, Water and Yeast. It is known as a "magical beer yet much more than beer"

Frigg = Odins wife. She is said to be "foremost among the goddesses," . Frigg is described as the only one other than Odin who is permitted to sit on his high seat Hlidskjalf and look out over the universe :)

The most important literary sources to check out are the Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda, written by the icelandic skald Snorre Sturlason (Snorri Sturluson 1179-1241).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetic_Edda

Have fun
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  4:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Mjød: = Mead. Made of Honey, Water and Yeast. It is known as a "magical beer yet much more than beer"

I've been trying to make some honey based alcoholic drink. My recipe was just honey water left to sit, the "yeast" being natural bacteria in the air (my experience in such things is making sour dough bread, and hard cider). I just now checked and it isn't there any more. My wife did not know what it was and threw it out.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  5:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bewell

If I remember correctly......Mjød also sometimes contains "humle" ...a plant (humulus lupilus) :)

quote:
My wife did not know what it was and threw it out.

Ooops - sorry to hear that. Maybe make a new sample?

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine, thank you for the kroner

The Poetic Edda is wonderful, although I haven't read it in its entirety. The poem Hávamál is very beautiful to me, so mystical. Would love to read it again soon and see how it resonates now.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi everyone,it seems that sanatana dharma ruled the world in ancient times,in the babilonian ancient gods there are clear references to god narasimha and devi durga as well as in cuba, south america and egypt,in france there was the cult of the black virgins or mostly devis and the menhir is related to shiva lingam,if you want to check the video 18 narasimha secrets of the siddhas, on youtube and posted by agasthiar.org.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000