Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Scientific Research Project on AYP - Input Needed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Reply Requested

Hi All:

Dr. Kavitha Chinnaiyan ("kami" here in the forums) is a cardiologist in Detroit, Michigan, USA, and is interested in performing scientific research on the AYP practices for health and quality of life effects, as related to the heart. This will include development of a state-of-the-art research program supported by grant funds and ongoing networking with the scientific community.
Her website is: http://www.healyourheartfreeyoursoul.com

This can be a big step forward for AYP in supporting scientific research on spiritual practices, as discussed here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3267
I am very appreciative of Dr. Chinnaiyan's efforts, and hope we can help by providing useful information from the AYP community.

Below, you will find a questionnaire developed by Dr. Chinnaiyan covering specific areas of health and quality of life. We'd like to obtain current feedback from as many of you as possible. Please reply in this topic with personal experiences in these areas, or other health and quality of life effects you would like to report:
quote:
The specific measures we would initially look for are:
1. High blood pressure - if someone has reported lowering and numbers before and after.
2. Diabetes - lowered blood sugars as a result of AYP
3. Chest pain or angina - resolution of symptoms or lowered frequency/intensity of pain/pressure/discomfort
4. High cholesterol - lowered numbers
5. Overall health rating (perception of overall health) before and after AYP practices
6. Response to stress - as a result of increasing inner silence and bliss, have people noticed that they are less affected by life stressors and events? This will be where we might get the most data on (albeit subjective). This is fine, since it has a direct effect on the heart.
7. Others' perception of the practitioner's changed personality/mood/temperament/response to stress.
8. Depression - change in medications since start of practice
9. Anxiety/Panic - change in meds since starting practice
10. Addictions - smoking, alcohol, drugs and coming off these with the aid of practices.
11. Heart failure symptoms - shortness of breath, swelling in the legs and change since AYP.
12. Palpitations (or heart rhythm problems) - alleviation in symptoms
13. Respiratory symptoms - asthma, COPD and alleviation in symptoms (pranayama has shown improved respiratory parameters in COPD patients)

For each of these, we'd like to know specifically what the practice routine was, how long practicing with which techniques, and background in practices (if any) before coming to AYP.

This information can be posted anonymously. It will be used to help develop criteria and biomarkers for the research program. If you prefer to report your information privately, you can email directly to Dr. Chinnaiyan.

If anyone would like to participate directly in the research program, as either researcher or subject, please contact Dr. Chinnaiyan or me.

All information is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

The guru is in you.

PS: We are also supporting this effort by "data mining" the AYP support forums for health and quality of life testimonials and data posted here over the past five years. There is a huge amount of health-related information here, and we are doing what we can to retrieve whatever might be useful in the research arena. Current experiences are preferred, so please review the questionnaire list above and comment on effects you have noticed in any of those areas. Thanks!

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami and All

I guess I will get the ball rolling here and hopefully others will join in soon.

Kami, you can contact me in regards to #10 in the list: Addictions.

When I came to AYP I was on a 90mg daily dose of Methadone (a perscription opiate that is used to help heroin/opiate addicts have a regular life without constantly having to re-dose in order to stay out of withdrawal symptoms). I had been on the methadone program for 3 or 4 years when I started twice daily AYPractices and had been addicted to IV heroin and methamphetamine "speedballs" for several years (almost 5) before that (as well as a plethora of other drugs). 15 weeks after starting the AYPractices I was completely clean of all opiates and did not experience ANY withdrawal symtpoms. My total downdose time was 10 weeks. This is not physically/biologically possible according to the medical community without the use of an "addiction interrupter" like Ibogaine or Rapid Opiate Detox techniques (which usually leaves an addict in horrible withdrawals regardless). The recommended downdose time for a 90mg daily dose would be between 9 months and 1 year and it would be expected to experience at least some withdrawal symptoms the entire time, followed by up to 8 months of "post acute withdrawal symptoms". I will do some searches for threads I posted in about my experience. Let me know if you have any questions with regards to my experience.

Love!

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1965#35157 (my first AYP post stating some of my history with drug use)
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#38220 (I am part of the way through detoxing in this post, talking about what I have cut out from my "drug diet" and what still remained...there is one post a few below that talks about dropping my tropane akaloid use as well)
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=4373#4373 (this post describes my methadone situation in a fair amount of detail)
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=6361#57142 (brief overview of the process I went through)
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4528 (this thread was started when I was down to 5mg's a day and details the final couple of weeks or so of my downdose)
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello kami,

It's great that you're doing this research. I totally support what you're doing!

The ones I feel confident to attest to are:

6.) Response to stress. My ability to cope with stressful situations is dramatically increased. I find myself calm and confident in situations that would've previously had me breaking down under the pressure.

8.) Depression. Please note that I was never clinically diagnosed with depression, but suffered it silently for 10+ years (pre-AYP). It was severe. I had zero self esteem (or even a sense of deserving to live) and went through cycles of suicidal feelings/thoughts. AYP helped me pull myself out of depression, after a major breakdown that turned into a catharsis. After a few years of practice, I am quite happy, strong, and stable as a person.

9.) Anxiety/Panic. This I was medically diagnosed with, and was on anxiety medication for a short period of time (about a month). Sorry, I don't remember which medication it was, but it was a Zoloft-type drug (my doctor compared it to Zoloft when he prescribed it).

Please feel free to email me if you need more detail or other info.

Wish you the best

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Carson and Cosmic. It is both moving and exciting to see the effects of practice on your conditions. I've created a standard template to streamline all responses into compilable data. We will email that to both of you - if you wouldn't mind completing it and sending back

Cosmic - perhaps the med was Paxil? It was the only one (SSRI) that was FDA approved for anxiety until recently.

Thanks again!

kami
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  6:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

Cosmic - perhaps the med was Paxil? It was the only one (SSRI) that was FDA approved for anxiety until recently.

Hi kami, the name sounds familiar, but unfortunately I can't confirm that's what it was. I was on the med in 2002. My doctor prescribed it as a therapy... I wasn't meant to continue it for long term use. Was on it for about a month. It helped while I was on it, but the anxiety returned shortly after the therapy ended.

I found AYP in 2004, and over the next few years the anxiety gradually reduced to almost nothing. Today, there is slight nervousness in certain situations (e.g. public speaking), but nothing out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

I've not been a member or practitioner here for all that long, but I've already noticed a great deal of change in my own behaviour, habits and health which I've attributed to AYP. Of course scientifically speaking there is no EMPIRICAL evidence that any of this is due to AYP, but taking into consideration how closely my experiences fall in line with what is "predicted" in the lessons and books and those experiences of other members I've read about here, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I'm a 23 year old male postgraduate student, and started practising AYP six months ago after it was recommended to me by a friend.

Prior to practising AYP I'd always been very concerned with my physical appearance, so much so that I'd gone through regular periods of bulimia nervosa from the age of 18. This would include episodes of bingeing and purging sometimes several times per day. Since starting AYP I have only purged on two occasions, and for reasons not directed toward concern for my own appearance. I have not purged once in 2010.

I have been a regular smoker of cannabis for several years, (up to 1/8 oz per day), and continued to smoke during my first few months of AYP. This has now tapered off and I no longer feel a desire smoke cannabis at all. I think my last experience of this drug was around two months ago.

I have used other drugs in the past, including ketamine, cocaine and MDMA sporadically, and mephedrone (around 500mg several times per week) up until the end of January this year. I now no longer feel any inclination to use these or any other substances.

I have used alcohol heavily since around age 18, often becoming intoxicated to the point of vomiting. I will admit that my tendency to drink heavily has diminished with the passage of time, however I now drink alcohol on average once a week or less, as opposed to 3-4 drinks, often more, several times per week before starting AYP.

I currently experience less stress in my life than at any other point in memory. This has also been noticed within my circle of friends.

I would also regard my current state of health (both physical and mental) as better than at any other point in my life.

My twice daily practice routine has been as follows, since November 2009.

1 month of 20 mins deep meditation
4 months of 20 mins DM + 10 mins spinal breathing pranayama (+ associated mudras and bandhas incorporated gradually over time).
1 month of 10 mins asanas + 20 mins DM + 10 mins SBP

I hope I've been clear enough in my answers, if you'd like clarification on any point I'd be happy to provide it

Best wishes,

Alex

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu,
Thank you so much for sharing. This is exactly the kind of information we are seeking. Would you mind if we emailed you to ask you to fill out a short questionnaire?
Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  11:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah,

I am willing to participate.......The questions are quite alot covering a wide variety of areas.

Any imbalance in the physical body distorts normal functionality of processes..........hence leading to many ailments,diseases and the like.......

Yoga can indeed regulate such processes.........and control eventually

WOW that's alot of stuff she's asking for........
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  05:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

Hi Wafu,
Thank you so much for sharing. This is exactly the kind of information we are seeking. Would you mind if we emailed you to ask you to fill out a short questionnaire?
Thanks again

Hi kami,

Not at all, I'd be more than happy to. You can reach me at ahwales@gmail.com. Glad to be of some use to your study
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  6:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
6. Response to stress - Before AYP I was having panic attacks, and a lot of stress, and in stressful situations or situations which triggered fear I was very stressed and anxious. Now after a while (year and a little) of practicing AYP I feel more confident and able to stay in those situations (if I choose to). I feel that somewhere inside there's a place that is stable that is not affected by anything, and by being in touch with this place I am able to be in the situations which caused a lot of fear and anxiety. Deep inside I am completely confident. Also since starting AYP a lot of my worldview has changed for the better, which has an effect on the anxiety levels, becoming less.

7. My close relatives say that I have come a really long way, and have progressed a lot (to be honest I am seeing this too). They appreciate that I do meditation, and our relationship has become much better.
They are really happy about my progress. And Love seeing me happier and more active (I used to be much less active because of anxiety).

9. Change in medication- Able to lessen the amount of medication. (kami tell me if you'd like specifics and I'll mail you).

The practice routine has always been 15-20 minutes of deep meditation, with some spinal breathing pranayama here and there, and self inquiry (periods of doing it).

Before coming to AYP, I practiced Soto Zen meditation in a group for half a year, and had an energy transmission like shaktipat (a few months before starting AYP).

Thanks for doing this kami, I hope it is fruitful
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  2:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami, I just received the questionnaire and since I'm a researcher myself I can detect that you might get some problems with it... The questions you put here above does not really match the questionnaire lay-out. There are no questions on this for example:

"For each of these, we'd like to know specifically what the practice routine was, how long practicing with which techniques, and background in practices (if any) before coming to AYP."

Would you like to get expansions on this information outside the questionnaire as free text? The questionnaire is full of forced choices which do not really fit and little space to comment, which do not give the respondent a proper chance to explain...

Would you prefer to have the questionnaire not followed strictly and full of comments in between the lines, in order to get more correct data? Or would you prefer to have it answered formally as the questions are put, in order to highten the statistical value?

I'd appreciate some more guidelines to fill it in.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  12:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I just realized I didn't read the first post here properly.

I'm of course immediately volunteering to participate on the research side, although I can't formally be in on the project, since I'm not tied to any institution at the moment, but I'd love to be at service with my knowledge and skills in the formation of it if that is wished for.

Edited by - emc on May 19 2010 01:48:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  2:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kami,

I have basically been healthy most of my life. At 19yo, I had my first episode of depression, with anxiety. I was hospitalised once for this.
I wasn´t dx´d with bipolar disorder until 2004. At the same time I was practicing kundalina yoga and AYP. I had a surge of kundalini energy from the
root chakra to the crown chakra. This was indeed life changing, but I have wondered which one was it, spiritual or biochemical? for the dramatic events from that time.
My anxiety level, stress and depression governed my entire life for many years. I have been in hospital many times for bipolar in the past several years. It now has been one year since hospitilasion,(a record!)
and one year of AYP. I´m now on lesson #64. The question arises again; bipolar or spiritual practices? Maybe it is both. Who knows.
Now my bipolar is stable, and I feel I am in remission. Same meds and plan to combat it. On the spiritual side, I am making progress and
having effects as those described in the lessons. Here is my routine: sun salutation pose, SB with root lock and the opening of the third eye, all at the same time(!),for 10min. followed with 20 min.DM with solar centering, then rest. I do a lot of grounding activites such as gardening, bike riding, etc.
With this new-found stability, I am much more calm, and things do not bother me as they used to. Like Yogani says "unshakeable in the storm"
or something like that. I have learned to "don´t sweat the little stuff!"
And I lowered my dosages of venlafaxin and seroquel.(with my MD`s OK)
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  05:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am available to help any way I can!

The guru is in me!

Love,
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if this is relevant but I have some professional biofeedback equipment which measures things like GSR - Galvanic Skin Response, HRV - Heart Rate Variability, and the most interesting one: HEG - Hemoencephalography, which measures cereberal blood flow in the prefrontal lobes, the newest part of the brain. This equpiment can be used to either train oneself to attain mastery or some degree of control over the these bodily functions, or to gauge the current level of mastery.
I recently had the good furtune of putting a Yogi friend "to the test," and the results were amazing. He was capable of increasing the cerebral blood flow instantly by a great measure - far more than what the "average" person is capable of.
Anyway, let me know if this is of any interest.

Love,
CE
Go to Top of Page

jhonpeterson

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is my personal interest to read about research and development news & journals, I visit some sites to get information about new researches & I found such a useful lab notebook software researchers & developers.

http://www.kinematik.com/
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nirmal,thanks so much for sharing. This is exactly the kind of information we need. Can we send you a questionnaire? It is being modified and I expect to have it ready in a week or two.

Conscious Evolution, that sounds great! The latest issue of the Yoga Journal had a very nice article on the effects of meditation on brain activity measured by functional MRI. If you have a group of friends following AYP practices, it may be worthwhile recording those measures..

Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  03:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,
Of course you can send me a questionaire. Anything else you need just let me know.
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  12:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

I read your first post on this topic some days ago, and wanted to see if I could also offer myself as a "guinea pig" ( no offence meant in using the term), but I was too busy with some personal matters.

Even before I started out on Spiritual practices and AYP,at 58 yrs, I was diagnosed as at risk for a heart attack, because of an irregularity in my ECG during the "rest period" after a tread-mill test, and was advised to undergo an angio.
I went for a second opinion, and was advised only medication.
Since I was feeling healthy( even though I had a family history of cardiac problems), I discontinued medication after a couple of months, and on a friends advise, resumed Yoga, and specifically, Pranayama and yogic breathing, which I had discontinued for a few years due to a 24/7 work schedule, as a senior manager in a MNC.
After 18 mths. of Yoga and pranayama, I had a lipid profile done( for insurance purposes) and to my surprise, found my Total Cholesterol level well below threshhold.
My company doctor was not surprised as he knew I always enjoyed good health, but when I showed him my earlier reports, he advised a repeat of the test, which confirmed the lipid profile.
I was still puzzled and finally showed it to my Yoga instructor who was also a physician.

He said " this is what we have been telling people is the effect of pranayama and yogic breathing, but people are still sceptical. But now you know. Keep up the practices".

My HDL rose to 60, which, I believe, is not too common, and it remains at that even today, after 9 years. Of course, now I am engaged in aggressive AYP practice, twice daily, of the whole routine.

I hope this, my experience, is of help in your study.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jun 08 2010 07:46:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Krish!
That is simply fantastic! If only more people could practice yoga, our healthcare system would not be on the brink of collapse..

If okay with you, we will send you the updated form. Still awaiting revisions

Thanks so much for being part of this.

kami
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  11:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kami,

I would love to be part of these studies, if it helps.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to give you all a quick update on the AYP study. We have gotten back responses from many - big THANKS to everyone of you that has helped us out with this. We truly appreciate your help in getting responses to our specific questions.

If there are others on these forums that would like to participate and help us with this project, please respond to this thread - we will send you an email with the simple form that can be filled out online and sent back to us. Thank you in advance for your willingness to help. With this huge AYP community, we are hoping to have enough observations to objectively see the effects of our practices on our health and well-being.

Please, please, please help us!! Thank you!!

kami
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  6:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami, I would love to participate in your project. I have been diagnosed as suffering from generalized anxiety disorder, depression etc. And am very convinced that if I can follow AYP faithfully, I should reap significant benefits. Thanks to both you and Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

We are continuing with our efforts to compile data. It has been challenging because of not enough responses

Would you PLEASE help with this project? For all that we have recieved from Yogani and AYP, this would be one small way of giving back. It takes all of 4-5 minutes. This kind of data is needed to bring AYP into mainstream healthcare. Without evidence (even preliminary, such as this), it will not be accepted.

We have now made it easy to do this

Please follow this link to go directly to the questionnaire:
http://www.healyourheartfreeyoursou...31&Itemid=23

Please complete the questionnaire and email it to us.

Many thanks to all who have already participated. And thanks in advance to all who are willing to do this

kami
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

Thanks so much for managing this; it could indeed be important and useful on a lot of levels, for a lot of people.

I was actually surprised at how easy and quick the forms were to complete. I realized that I had been "remiss" in turning mine in, so a few nights ago, I went into "just do it" mode ... and it took all of 15-20 minutes ..... and that's *with* Kirtanmaniacal-style comments!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000