Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  10:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I did 'The Work' earlier today with a buddy. I was amazed at some of the stuff that came up, wow.

It seemed that the thought "I need to grow spiritually" was at the root of many of my thoughts, much of my suffering.

I didn't even touch this thought, but something tells me I should have.

Who would I be without this thought? YIKES!

j

Edited by - wakeupneo on May 05 2010 11:36:55 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  07:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
So I did 'The Work' earlier today with a buddy. I was amazed at some of the stuff that came up, wow.

It seemed that the thought "I need to grow spiritually" was at the root of many of my thoughts, much of my suffering.

Someone who doesn't practice, perhaps?

This is one of the pitfalls of self-inquiry.

You could try: "I need to do The Work". Four little questions... turn it around.

And then carry on with practices.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

quote:

Someone who doesn't practice, perhaps?

This is one of the pitfalls of self-inquiry.

You could try: "I need to do The Work". Four little questions... turn it around.

And then carry on with practices.

Someone who doesn't practice... precisely!

However, I see how much of my (false)identity is invested in 'spiritual seeking' or 'spiritual pracitce'

Is it a pitfall or is it just a direct route?

One transcends practice when one transcends the "me".

The goal is getting to the place where there is no more individual left to practice. The individual has merged into the universal. The relative into the absolute. It almost sounds silly that post-enlightenment there would still be an element of 'me' and 'my will' still needed to be something other than what I am.

Having said all of this... there is still a strong energetic element that accompanies enlightenment. It is truly an alchemical process that happens on the subtle levels, much more than just intellectual like many neo-advaitist point to.

The question is... Can inquiry induce this? Is this our nature state and is it just a matter of removing the block and allowing our true Self to shine?

Thanks for all the responses...

Edited by - wakeupneo on May 06 2010 1:57:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  11:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wakeupneo

quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo

However, I see how much of my (false)identity is invested in 'spiritual seeking' or 'spiritual pracitce'

I think it can be both. Being a "spiritual seeker" was useful for me at one point, even if it was just a false identity (which, like you, I can see now). The seeking eventually brought me here (AYP), so it was definitely a valuable part of the ride.

Like other ideas I had about myself, the "being a seeker" part dropped away too. Leave the raft at the shore and all that... . If I hadn't found AYP, I'd probably still be seeking and it would've turned into a pitfall. Because I really wasn't getting anywhere pre-AYP.

Glad you're getting a taste of The Work and whatnot. Take care!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wakeupneo,

quote:

Someone who doesn't practice... precisely!

The advaitist teacher's hope is that it is a direct route. Whether it is or not, depends very much on the person and whether they are ripe or not.

quote:
Having said all of this... there is still a strong energetic element that accompanies enlightenment. It is truly an alchemical process that happens on the subtle levels, much more than just intellectual like many neo-advaitist point to.

The question is... Can inquiry induce this?

If it is used wisely, it certainly can.

quote:
The individual has merged into the universal. The relative into the absolute. It almost sounds silly that post-enlightenment there would still be an element of 'me' and 'my will' still needed to be something other than what I am.

Do you need to be something other than what you are to engage in spiritual practices? I have spent a lot of time around Amma (the hugging mother) and one thing I can say about her is that her whole life is filled with spiritual practices. She still meditates every day, practices kirtan every day, practices karma yoga, gives darshan.

Here is a quote from Yogani on the subject of whether or not spiritual practices (tantric in this case) are dropped after enlightenment:

"Not dropped, only transformed over time into something much more refined. Erotic becomes ecstatic, and outer lovemaking becomes inner lovemaking. Then a glance or a touch from our Beloved sends the infinite cosmos into ecstatic waves of bliss. It is ecstatic conductivity becoming ecstatic radiance, and then constant outpouring divine love -- stillness in action.

This is what the whole universe is about. Not so far fetched, considering the infinite power of Love. An effective integration of practices opens the door. All practices become refined along the way. Nothing is dropped. Everything is transformed until it is all samadhi -- living moving samadhi. There is no end of the journey. The journey is the destination, just as unending becoming is the destination of the universe.

Except, of course, for those who want to check out. That is an illusion. There is no checking out. Only more and more becoming what we are. One part cannot be separated from the other parts, even if we call that part absolute. What is has no name, and it is everywhere. We are That. [Yogani]"

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#32069

That's what it is like for Amma, she is living in samadhi, and every moment is a spiritual practice, surrendering in love.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  04:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does it have to imply the end of practices? Someone who is not practicing anylonger?

Another possible outcome of the turnaround "Who would I be without the thought - I need to grow spiritually"? could be seeing yourself sitting in meditation practices but without the stressing thought. You are just sitting there meditating, having a good time, and there's nothing more to it. It's not because you have to grow spiritually, but because you enjoy the moment. Suddenly meditation is even more relaxed, no pressure, no expectation of an outcome.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000