Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Great New Krishna Das Video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  9:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

For any of you may wonder why someone would pick a username (i.e. Kirtanman ) at an online forum (i.e. This One ) based upon sitting around and chanting in Sanskrit with a few hundred of your closest friends ...

...... Here's Why!

*Enjoy*!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- Yes, the very best of the 1960s, indeed ...... both of them ("C.E." ... & "B.C.E." ).

PPS- So what kind of guy is Krishna Das? This Kind.

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 27 2010 9:49:17 PM

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... it had been a while I cried listening to something.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOVE it. Thanks Kirtanman.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Glad you're enjoying ......

here are a couple more:

Another new (kirtan) video from Krishna Das.

And, a video of Krishna Das relating stories of his guru (Neem Karoli Baba) .... which is both entertaining and profound.

And, for anyone who may be interested .. Krishna Das in on Tour, right now ... please visit his Facebook Page for tour dates.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

haha.. my foolish heart bjah govinda. Here in India when the locals sing it people go just mad... dancing around with joy... its a sight to see and be.

Yeah Kirtans are great. They are like pre-Shaktipat (or mini Shaktipat) for people who have a foolish heart. :)

Reminds me of a quote by Osho:

If you are complex, you cannot meet it. Only when you have become simple, totally simple, innocent, empty, the reality and you meet. Then there is a reflection of it in you. It echoes in you. It enters into you.

I repeat it again and again, that when meditation has really happened to you, you will not need to do it. If you still need to do it, it has not yet really happened. Because that too has become a slavery. Even meditation must disappear. A moment must come when you need not do anything. Then just as you are, you are Divine; just as you are, you are the bliss, the ecstasy.

Work is time; play is timeless. Meditation must be like play, not end-oriented. You must not meditate to achieve something because then the whole point is lost. You cannot meditate at all if you are meditating for something. You can meditate only if you are playing with it, enjoying it, if nothing is to be achieved out of it, if it is beautiful in itself.

.. then it becomes timeless. And then the ego cannot arise.

baanvre dil more bhaj govinda... hari hari hari... bhaj govinda
saare bolo! (everyone!)
govinda hari govinda

haha :)
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

haha.. my foolish heart bjah govinda. Here in India when the locals sing it people go just mad... dancing around with joy... its a sight to see and be.

Yeah Kirtans are great. They are like pre-Shaktipat (or mini Shaktipat) for people who have a foolish heart. :)

Reminds me of a quote by Osho:

If you are complex, you cannot meet it. Only when you have become simple, totally simple, innocent, empty, the reality and you meet. Then there is a reflection of it in you. It echoes in you. It enters into you.

I repeat it again and again, that when meditation has really happened to you, you will not need to do it. If you still need to do it, it has not yet really happened. Because that too has become a slavery. Even meditation must disappear. A moment must come when you need not do anything. Then just as you are, you are Divine; just as you are, you are the bliss, the ecstasy.

Work is time; play is timeless. Meditation must be like play, not end-oriented. You must not meditate to achieve something because then the whole point is lost. You cannot meditate at all if you are meditating for something. You can meditate only if you are playing with it, enjoying it, if nothing is to be achieved out of it, if it is beautiful in itself.

.. then it becomes timeless. And then the ego cannot arise.

baanvre dil more bhaj govinda... hari hari hari... bhaj govinda
saare bolo! (everyone!)
govinda hari govinda

haha :)

Yes, indeedy ..... beautiful!!

In 2004 or so, my brain was quite full of Adyashanti's teachings ..... and it was full of great stuff .... but something felt kind of dead and dry.

Strangely, I remembered Krishna Das (who I has discovered and enjoyed via CD back in 2002) ... and felt a draw toward kirtan.

It was very strange; my non-dual-wannabe mind (at the time) was sure that kirtan, being devotional, would be "reinforcing duality" or some such weirdness, and so I resisted, a little. Very very little.

And started getting into kirtan in a very big way ........ and my heart blew wide open, the Universe fell in ..... and the rest is .... ThisStory!

Interestingly, in the interview at the end of Emptiness Dancing, Adyashanti tells of how *he* felt that Zen was a bit dead and dry, and felt a draw (unexpectedly) toward the heart-orientation of Christian Mysticism.

Just as various linear paths can "get you t/there" .... but AYP gets you t/here much more smoothly/quickly than many paths do, it seems ...... so, a big dose of heart-opening is always helpful, and heart-opening to awesome music while singing mantra-based lyrics with a few hundred of our closest friends of that moment (and/or "virtually" do this, via CD or MP3 ) is one of the most enjoyably powerful and powerfully enjoyable practices available, I'd say.

Much fun, too!

PS- I like your Shaktipat-related analogy; that's exactly what it's like! In traditional shaktipat, the power-consciousness of the guru gives the recipient a sneak-preview of the emptiness-awareness we each and all ever are, now, and in some cases, it's form-based flip-side, oneness-with-all.

In a full-blown kirtan experience (which I've enjoyed several times with Krishna Das, FYI, for anyone who may be thinking of ..... kirtanning .... with him) .. the same dynamic applies, but it's the power of the *sangha* that creates (what can be) an identical experience. I'm not sure what "critical mass" is for that to happen, but it may not even be that many people; a few in samadhi, and a few with hearts wide open in-as the presence .... and Voila! - Insta-shaktipat!

Good stuff; glad you're enjoying!!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Ok .. 1 more ... not live this time, but a nice video set to the studio version of one of KD's best-known and most well-loved kirtan-meets-Western-song songs ..... with backing vocals by that guy who used to sing for the Police ..... (Yes, Sting.)

Mountain Hare Krishna/Amazing Grace By Krishna Das & Sting

And Yes, it is Grace.

And Yes, it is Amazing.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  04:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Loved the Sting version... Amazing grace... I was once lost. Simply beautiful.

and the Krishna quote from Gita.

I also loved the Om Namah Shivaya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpu6...ture=related

Its the perfect willpower/strength booster I needed during the tough asanas these days. Thanks again for bringing K Das into the forum.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Mountain Hare Krishna/Amazing Grace By Krishna Das & Sting

"Still your mind in Me, still
yourself in Me, and without a
doubt, you shall be united with
Me, dwelling in your heart."

- Lord Krishna, excerpt from the Bhagavad Gita

This is the most beautiful quote I ever read. Thanks once again for the video.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000