Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Nauli
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  09:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I tried following the instructions here on Nauli (as well as from other books) but still cannot get it. Something come out, but not the middle abdominal muscles. I think two tendons come out the two sides. The middle part may go up a bit, but not nearly as much as the tendons. Can someone give me more hint on that?

May be it is because my abdominal muscles are still too weak? I have been practising Uddiyana Bandha for about 6 months, but inconsistently. Recently I started practising a dynamic form of Uddiyana Bandha (Agnisar Kriya) for 5 minutes, 2 times a day. I intend to increase my practice on it. (by the way, Uddiyana bandha gives me a rather nice feeling physically)

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin,

it can take many months to learn how to do nauli well. In the very early stages (first several weeks), you are doing OK if you are even able to get a little more activity on one side of your chest than on the other.

I'd say ontinue to work at that for several weeks, learning to separate the muscles on both sides. Then come back with more questions.

But there are people here with far greater expertise in hatha yoga than I have. Victor, Jim?

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 16 2006 11:40:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My father used to do nauli as a party trick even though he was never a yogi. Some people have a natural ability here while others find it difficult. My guess is that it is actually more important for those who have difficulty as it can open up some energy that might not be flowing.
My experience is that I can do nauli madyama and somewhat the left and right but never was able to easily roll teh nauli. I no longer practice it as for the moment am content with my sitting practice.
Nauli starts with uddiyana and then one grips the uddiana a bit tighter while maintaining a strong suction with throat sealed. It helps to press on teh thighs with teh handsas if trying to push the torso up slightly using the strength of the arms. After this becomes easy it does become possible to do without using the hands but that is a ways off.Nauli is much easier to learn in a standing position with a slight squat and then once this becoems easy can be done seated.I recommend the head and neck to be up rather than in jalandhara as otherwise tension in the neck can come.other than that I would just play with it and practice regularly.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani said (and I find it's true) that a little goes a long way. an energetic nauli, where nothing much visibly moves, is all you really need, though yogis tend to go for the big showy effect.

On the other hand, I've been able to do big showy nauli since I was a kid (everything I learned easily in hatha as a kid I've been able to retain...we should all teach our kids asana!), so I'm not sure if you need to learn to do the big showy one in order to reduce it to an energetic one. In fact, I have no idea on that.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  05:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I can do nauli, but only the "central" one. For me, ironically, pushing against the thigh does not seems to help--- pressing the thigh will make the whole abdomen tightened rather than just the rectus abdominis muscles.

I'm now doing it rthymically, just about 2 times a week (until it gets more natural for me) to gain more control. Don't know when (and how) I will be able to isolate the right and left.....

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Mar 12 2006 05:36:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000