Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 intestinal wash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  2:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'm wondering what the best time to do the intestinal wash? (by drinking several quarts of saltwater)

I'm going to fast for a couple of days this weekend (not my first time), and was thinking of trying it. Is it compatible with fasting?

JDH

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what I'm most wondering is... when is best to do it in relation to the fast. It seems logical to do it once the intestines are at least mostly empty. On the other hand, it seems like it could be quite a strain on the system in the middle of a time of rest.

Or is the idea to do it at the beginning of the fast, to clean out the guts right away and fast track the fasting condition?

Any help much appreciated

JDH
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
drinking salt water while fasting will seriously damage your intestines,please dont you ever do it.try to do enemas instead or basti kriya.the use of nauli kriya and pranayam while fasting,will purify your intestines by the fire of prana.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  07:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Drinking salt water as a cleanse is called shankhaprakshalana. I don't know much about it so can't advise but you can do a google search. I seriously doubt that it will do you damage doing one round of it though certainly not for more than one day. Like I said, I am no expert but it is a traditional yogic cleanse so maybe there is some more information out there. It resembles virechana which is ayurvedic laxative treatment for excess pitta or fire dosha. If you are concered about harm from salt you can safely drink straight apple juice or cider (non alcoholic of course) in large amounts and it will also cleanse your system while still helping to maintain energy levels because of the natural sugars.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  08:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done it a couple of times over the last 3 years guided by the descriptions in Yogani's Diet Shatkarmas book (see the side panel at the bottom, yellow cover).

Works very well, though strong recommendation to never do this if the person attempting is constipated, can cause serious problems. Overall, it works very well and doing it every couple of years is probably a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  12:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used this. Ate dinner (7pm), then drank salt-water in the morning (about 8.30am). If you are going to do it, I hear that himalayan salt is good. I used organic salt. I've done it a couple of times.
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  09:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello,i repeat and advice you ,please do not do shashankprakshalana while fasting, shashankprakshalana have to be done just for one day cleaning never while fasting.after doing shashankprakshalana you cant let your stopmach empty for more than 1 hour and it has to be filled up with a mix of rice and ghee or butter.please inform your self.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone

omarkaya - I ended up just fasting for one day with no other cleanses. I thought about it more and decided the full intestinal wash was extreme and my body wasn't really asking for it. It just wanted less food.
Go to Top of Page

anij_u

Estonia
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  05:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wanna try to do intestinal wash and have some questions.
There is belief (called Auotintoxication) that undigested meat and other foods cause mucus buildup in the colon, what produces toxins, which enter the blood's circulation and poisoning the body. It may cause wide range of symptoms: fatigue, headache, weight gain, low energy.
http://positivemed.com/2013/12/21/colon-cleansing/

Is it good idea?
After the wash, how long it takes that my GI tract recovers from being flushed out?
When and what I should drink or eat after the wash?
Is there a need to take some time off (not much physical activity several days or smt) after wash?
Is there some beneficial herbs what could do almost the same work as wash?
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anij_u,

Which cleansing method are you planning to do?

Intestinal wash by drinking salt water, "shankaprakshalana" (what the original poster asked about) and colon irrigation are quite different methods with different precautions and advices.

For colon irrigation you need some tools or go to a place with the required equipment. If this is what you wish to do, you will get the exact information from the practitioner you're going to. It's advisable to do in the morning before eating anything and after having had a bowel movement if you were not fasting the day before.

Shankaprakshalana can easily be done by yourself and anywhere as long as you have salty water and a toilet available.
It is also usually done in the morning, on an empty stomach and preferably after having eaten only a light dinner or fasted the night before.
As omarkaya mentioned, many schools recommend eating rice with a LOT of butter/ghee about one hour after finishing the last salt water intake. The butter/ghee is to make the dried out digestive pathways (from the salt) smooth again for the food to pass.
I know of several advanced yoga practitioners whom do not bother about this recommendation and prefer to eat light sweet fruits (papaya is excellent) after shankaprakshalana.

How long it will take for your GI tract to be flushed is difficult to say. It depends on the person. You should count at least 2 hours and have your meal ready in time if you wish to eat the rice with butter.
For the first time, it is recommended to have an entire morning free.

quote:
When and what I should drink or eat after the wash?

If I remember well the school from which I learnt shankaprakshalana cautioned not to drink after doing shankaprakshalana. Even though one will be thirsty from all the salt in the mouth and thus be tempted to drink. You can just rinse your mouth, but do not drink. Only eat the rice with butter after one hour. After that you may start to drink water.
The reason for not drinking is, if I remember well, because the first thing that would pass your digestive system again should be very smooth (oily).
I do not know how important this really is as I know advanced practioners from other schools whom eat fruits after completing shankaprakshalana without any issues.

quote:

Is there a need to take some time off (not much physical activity several days or smt) after wash?

With shankaprakshalana, normally half a day should suffice. You will probably feel the need to lie down (and this is advisable) after finishing. It can be quite exhausting. So good to do it on a day off when you don't have to go anywhere..
Get all you need the day before.

quote:

Is it good idea?

I know many yogi(ni)s whom are very enthousiastic, both about shankaprakshalana and colon irrigation.
Colon irrigation is more effective in cleaning very fast and thoroughly. The disadvantage is that many experience difficulties digesting properly for quite a while after.
Shankaprakshalana is less thorough in cleaning the intestines, but it has as advantage that it cleans much more than only the intestines (all passages starting from your mouth all the way down). It should also not have undesirable after-effects if you applied the precautions carefully.

There are many other instructions (such as the exercises to do between the drinking of the salty water). Please make sure you are well-informed before doing this.

Hope this helps..

Edited by - Omsat on Feb 01 2014 07:24:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  07:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a file with the 5 common exercises to do during the shankaprakshalana:
http://www.healsa.co.za/PDF%20Files...kshalana.pdf

And more general info (such as the first meal to be eaten one hour after completing shankaprakashalan) here:
http://www.yogaindailylife.org/esys...prakshalana/

There's a lot of information available online.

Go to Top of Page

anij_u

Estonia
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  1:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Omsat!
Sorry, my last post was misunderstanding, but yes I meant procedur what Yogani called "Dhauti (Intestinal Wash)".
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....estinal,Wash
But like you wrote, more correct name is shankaprakshalana.

Thaks again, your information is very usefull.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2014 :  06:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anij_u,

You're most welcome. Good to hear it's useful..

One more thing I forgot to mention : Make sure to use enough salt. Too little salt and the water will just be absorbed instead of passing through the system for cleansing. Of course, don't overdo the salt either as that will make it very difficult to drink the salty water.

Warm wishes

quote:
Originally posted by anij_u

Thank you very much Omsat!
Sorry, my last post was misunderstanding, but yes I meant procedur what Yogani called "Dhauti (Intestinal Wash)".
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....estinal,Wash
But like you wrote, more correct name is shankaprakshalana.

Thaks again, your information is very usefull.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000