Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Combine Fasting with GI Tract Cleaning?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  7:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I'm finishing up day 3 of a water-only fast which I plan to continue for another 3 days before slowly reintroducing food (I'm thinking I'll start with broth, and then move to fruit juice, and maybe yogurt to get some "good" bacteria?).

I'm happy because it's the first time I've gotten this far. I've tried several times to do the water-only fast and have never gotten past 48 hours before giving up. I think this time I'm more able to do it because, frankly, I'm a little desperate about a bunch of lingering ailments I'm trying to work on, and also because I do have a lot of experience doing 24-48 hr "mini-fasts."

Anyway, I'm combining this fast with a few glasses per day of amaroli, which seems well tolerated--barely noticeable, really, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of maybe adding in more cleansing practices to intensify the purification and healing of my GI tract (which is a major goal--I feel like I may have some kind of "leaky gut" causing me to be unable to tolerate some foods I once could).

I did one enema on day one just to sort of help out the remaining food. I've read some people saying you have to use an enema every day on a fast because supposedly most people are full of all this old, caked up junk, but honestly, I'm not so sure about that. In the past, I've done enemas, and once the stuff in there is out, it seems to just be out. All that comes out after that is pretty much water. It's not like there's a whole reserve of stuff waiting to be enema-ed, though it's also possible I haven't reached that level of purification due to having never before done a more serious water fast.

But I'm also concerned that too many enemas could be counter-productive to the goal of healing the intestinal lining. Seems like it could be harsh and maybe strip away some of the good, protective stuff. Ditto for intestinal wash. Do people do intestinal wash during a fast or is it too draining?

I might also do some of the gauze swallowing, though, again, I don't want to make my esophagus raw when it's possibly in healing mode.

Anyway, any thoughts on the extent to which purification practices like the above can/should be combined with fasting to intensify the healing? Thanks so much.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Feb 21 2014 7:44:56 PM

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Though I'm not sure anyone is reading this topic, I thought I'd add my experiences:

After experience now with two short (five-day) fasts, I've changed my view:

I don't recommend doing anything vigorous to the body (massage, acupuncture, vigorous exercise beyond light walking and stretching, enemas, colonics, etc.) during fasting. I found out the hard way. The first go-round, I did an enema on the fourth day and it hurt really bad. The second go-round, I got a massage on the fourth day and ended up with a serious bruise and some increased pain.

I've determined that the body is in a fragile kind of state during fasting: one of accelerated healing potential, but also more delicate than usual. Poking and prodding it to try to "speed up" the purification is a bad idea, imo. Also, one should try as best as possible to schedule it when you don't have a lot on your plate. I've done fasts where I kept trying to work at the same pace as usual, and it made a lot more unpleasant and probably less beneficial. A "fast" in terms of mental stimulation is probably also good, though obviously a little work, reading, TV, etc. isn't going to ruin it.

Fasting is meant to give the body a chance to rest fully, which it does because digestion takes up so much energy. The detox is already occurring at a rapid rate after the third or fourth day of fasting and you don't need to try to help it along. Doing so only adds a burden for the body to deal with, taking away from the healing.

This is my view on it now.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Mar 13 2014 3:38:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  2:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One addendum:

I did, in both cases, combine fasting with amaroli. I normally have about one glass per day, and during my fast I upped it to two or three glasses per day. I'm not sure it made a very big difference, but since I've been doing amaroli daily for several years now, I am probably not likely to notice it that strongly. I would say it certainly doesn't hurt and may accelerate the healing. I did notice a sour taste after about three days, which I attribute to the increase in ketone bodies, which are acidic.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Mar 13 2014 3:38:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamasaburo,

I just wanted you to know that I have read your posts, but to be honest I don't know much on the matter and what is best for you.

I wish you a good recovery!

Light
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good thing to help heal the gut is a probiotic. It can surprisingly heal lots of little ailments too. Our modern lifestyle has many things that kill off natural gut bacteria, and sometimes bad bacteria take over like candida and cause all kinds of little ailments.
New science is coming out that shows a bad bacteria balance in the gut may be a cause of all sorts of diseases, including some mental.
The old school way is to eat fermented food made locally, so it will contain local bacteria. Most people don't have access to that, so they can take a probiotic instead.
I take a "15- 35" probiotic from Vitacost that works well, and is inexpensive.
That means it contains 15 strains, and 35 billion CFU's (Colony Forming Units). You take two, which gives the standard 70 billion per dose. Make sure it has a method (capsule or coating) to bypass digestive acids.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000