New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Chinna,

I was saying that if the path of negation is being used, then at some point, in the higher stages of the path, negation needs to be dropped. This is simply because divine reality doesn't negate anything, it simply is, known only to itself. So in order to merge with That, we must become like That.

Dear Christi

We're nearly there, together! I would only amend the above by saying that negation doesn't 'need to be dropped'. That would imply still a dropper and a dropping, a motivated act, an egoic act, however subtle. I would say that, eventually, negation and negator 'are superceded by' divine reality, and then I join you in your second and third sentences above. But we are saying the same thing here, I am sure.

In other words, the jnani's job is just to keep negating. At some point, if s/he he pursues this to its subtlest level, s/he will be spontaneously overtaken by THAT. But s/he has no control over that, and neither the act of 'dropping negating', nor any other act, can achieve it. We are entirely 'in God's hands', and always were.

It is a dance leading to union. Like this series of exchanges!

Thanks Christi.

chinna
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  6:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chinna,

quote:
Dear Christi

We're nearly there, together! I would only amend the above by saying that negation doesn't 'need to be dropped'. That would imply still a dropper and a dropping, a motivated act, an egoic act, however subtle. I would say that, eventually, negation and negator 'are superceded by' divine reality, and then I join you in your second and third sentences above. But we are saying the same thing here, I am sure.

In other words, the jnani's job is just to keep negating. At some point, if s/he he pursues this to its subtlest level, s/he will be spontaneously overtaken by THAT. But s/he has no control over that, and neither the act of 'dropping negating', nor any other act, can achieve it. We are entirely 'in God's hands', and always were.

It is a dance leading to union. Like this series of exchanges!

Thanks Christi.

We're always there, together... we always have been!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
But the manifesting is only liberation if oneself is liberated from afflictions and obscurations and the manifesting is for the purpose of liberating others. Now I've said all I want to say.

It's been a very fruitful discussion, thanks for contributing so much.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  8:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman
And, also as mentioned before:

There are many who have realized enlightenment .... who have never experienced nirvikalpa samadhi, or any other kind of samadhi.

That may be true in the early stages of enlightenment. Personally, I would doubt that it is true in the higher stages.

Christi

When I use the term "enlightenment", I'm referring to the cessation of stages.

What I meant to convey is this:

There are many, many ways to come to know true nature ..... the experiencing of just being "all the way in" ....... the utter harmony of living unbound, unconcerned about self, enlightenment or anything else .... artificial self-reference falls away .... because artificial ideas of self fall away.

Not all of these ways t/here involve the dynamics that we would normally define as "samadhi" .... that's all I meant.

I concur with everything that's been said, recently ... some of it by you .... about dropping labels .... and I was just (hopefully) helping clarify that neither the term, nor the experience .... of nirvikalpa samadhi is any kind of "end all, be all".

One of the reasons for this is: a little samadhi can go a very long way .... even many microsamadhis can finally create a major shift in sense of self (or, rather, cessation of sense of self).

And, so ..... if someone is unfamiliar with yogic terminology, or has never had the types of experiences we're discussing here .... it doesn't mean they're far from enlightenment.

There's no one who's "far from enlightenment" ...... we *are* enlightenment .... some of us are just blocking the knowing of enlightenment with focus on conditioned thinking.

And, as discussed extensively, there's almost always a path or process from knowing to unknowing to liberation ..... my point was simply that the paths can look very different from one another, and not all of them involve samadhi-like experiences.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 16 2009 8:50:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  10:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi :)
I asked you this question before in a previous post but perhaps you missed it, or did not want to answer it. If you do not wish to answer that is fine. However, I am kind of curious...

What is your technique for getting into the various samadhis (nirvikalpa too)? Is is concentrative, that is, through generating a continuous stream of attention or is it finding the gap through letting go?
Thanks.
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

Sorry I missed that post for some reason.

I would recommend an integrated yoga practice. In my experience both methods work (concentration and letting go into stillness). But seeing samadhi as part of an integrated process of transformation involving the body as much as the mind is of much more value than understanding any method of reaching samadhi.

There are really two factors which support samadhi, one is letting go into silence and the other is rising ecstasy on the neurobiological level. Samadhi can be attained purely on a mental level, but without rising ecstasy brought about by the purification of the subtle nervous system, it is of limited worth. As the purification process advances, kundalini reaches the crown chakra and there is a gradual dissolution into pure bliss consciousness. At this point samadhi becomes natural and spontaneous. Only when samadhi (stillness) merges with ecstasy everywhere in the body and beyond, does it give rise to the overflowing of divine love into the world. This can not happen without a full integration of spiritual practices. Samadhi (enstasy) which isn't balanced by ecstasy and love can give rise to a skewed enlightenment which becomes more about the person (individual attainment), and the path, than about the divine outpouring of love (service).

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Dec 17 2009 12:08:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  2:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

quote:
When I use the term "enlightenment", I'm referring to the cessation of stages.

What I meant to convey is this:

There are many, many ways to come to know true nature ..... the experiencing of just being "all the way in" ....... the utter harmony of living unbound, unconcerned about self, enlightenment or anything else .... artificial self-reference falls away .... because artificial ideas of self fall away.

Not all of these ways t/here involve the dynamics that we would normally define as "samadhi" .... that's all I meant.

Thanks for that clarification.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

We're always there, together... we always have been!

Christi

chinna
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  5:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

p.s.

Here is a description of entering nirvikalpa samadhi:

"By monitoring the breathing and watching the object of meditation become focused the breath or consciousness and “energy” will as you breath in towards maximum move up through the spine moving into the throat and into the cranium. It is this passage moving fully up the central channel or sushumna that allow Samadhi to take place.
By sitting in Samadhi and focusing on nothing or the object of meditation (one or the other) the mind will relax (mental distractions will slow and stop) and the higher or deeper need for full body relaxation will take you higher into cosmic consciousness (nirvikalpa Samadhi)."

And again here:

"The Door of Brahman
The matured state of the soul. It is the wisdom that comes as an aftermath of the kundalini breaking through the door of Brahman into the realization of Parasiva, Absolute Reality. The repeated samadhis of Parasiva ever deepen this flow of divine knowing which establishes the knower in an extraordinary point of reference, totally different from those who have not attained this enlightenment. "

http://www.experiencefestival.com/door_of_brahman

The Door of Brahman is the brahmarundra which is located slightly above the crown chakra. Parasiva is the absolute which is experienced in nirvikalpa samadhi.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Dec 17 2009 5:51:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  9:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi TI,

p.s.

Here is a description of entering nirvikalpa samadhi:

"By monitoring the breathing and watching the object of meditation become focused the breath or consciousness and “energy” will as you breath in towards maximum move up through the spine moving into the throat and into the cranium. It is this passage moving fully up the central channel or sushumna that allow Samadhi to take place.
By sitting in Samadhi and focusing on nothing or the object of meditation (one or the other) the mind will relax (mental distractions will slow and stop) and the higher or deeper need for full body relaxation will take you higher into cosmic consciousness (nirvikalpa Samadhi)."

And again here:

"The Door of Brahman
The matured state of the soul. It is the wisdom that comes as an aftermath of the kundalini breaking through the door of Brahman into the realization of Parasiva, Absolute Reality. The repeated samadhis of Parasiva ever deepen this flow of divine knowing which establishes the knower in an extraordinary point of reference, totally different from those who have not attained this enlightenment. "

http://www.experiencefestival.com/door_of_brahman

The Door of Brahman is the brahmarundra which is located slightly above the crown chakra. Parasiva is the absolute which is experienced in nirvikalpa samadhi.

Christi

Hi Christi,
Thanks for your responses.
I guess I was more interested in which method you personally use to enter nirvikalpa samadhi. For example, if you had to give step by step instructions to someone on how to enter nirvikalpa samadhi, what would you tell them?

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  04:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Nirvikalpa Samadhi is a name given to our natural state.

The easiest method to achieve it is to remain just natural.

The description given at avatarbabaji.com mentioned by Christi is not only a method but a process when one returns to its natural state.

But it will no longer remain a method for the one who has achieved Nirvikalpa Samadhi. Once achieved, then it just becomes a remembrance. Then one can just sit and go into Nirvikalpa Samadhi instantly.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

quote:
Hi Christi,
Thanks for your responses.
I guess I was more interested in which method you personally use to enter nirvikalpa samadhi. For example, if you had to give step by step instructions to someone on how to enter nirvikalpa samadhi, what would you tell them?

To start at the beginning of the AYP lessons, and work their way through, step by step, adding the practices as they are described and following the cautions given. Each lesson (and practice) has a specific purpose designed to bring people to enlightenment surely and safely. It is all there in the main lessons. There is some terminology which Yogani does not use in the main lessons, and the term "nirvikalpa samadhi" is one of those terms. But AYP is a fully integrated system of Yoga, so it includes everything, even if specific terms are not used.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  07:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

The description given at avatarbabaji.com mentioned by Christi is not only a method but a process when one returns to its natural state.

But it will no longer remain a method for the one who has achieved Nirvikalpa Samadhi. Once achieved, then it just becomes a remembrance. Then one can just sit and go into Nirvikalpa Samadhi instantly.

Thanks Manigma for this reminder. Amidst all the complexities of technique and the glamour of the exotic, we remind ourselves that it is all about recognising the natural state. If we live well, it happens naturally as we age. There are countless enlightened people who have never heard the word. They just carry on ordinary lives, having become unusually open and at peace, lighting other's lives by their presence, not specially noticed. The feelings of spinal ascent, interior lights and all the rest are measures of our self-contraction as it releases, and the thought-free state only seems unusual amidst obsessive thinking, including about how to achieve it. The paradox of the spiritual paths is that they hold out the promise of being special, and end in the realisation of being ordinary. A zen master was once asked what he wanted most, and he replied 'to be an ordinary guy on the street'.

chinna
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chinna
A zen master was once asked what he wanted most, and he replied 'to be an ordinary guy on the street'.

i don't know who the questioner was and why that zen master replied this. but normally an awakened one would never want to be someone else. he is fine with whatever he is... be it a king, a master, a businessman or an ordinary guy. you know that too
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  12:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

Maybe the zen master was an ordinary guy on the street.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Yes. And as Chinna said, it is an ordinary state. Very natural, normal and ordinary.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  1:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok....I just have to ask.....

Everytime I have experienced what would fit the common definition of "nirvikalpa samadhi" there is no ability to function as a normal human being...."I'm" simply not there. So if nirvikalpa is our "ordinary state", then how is one supposed to function as a human being in nirvikalpa samadhi or is that just not possible and a "functioning" nirvikalpa samadhi would be termed "sahaj samadhi"?

Love,
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  2:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Ok....I just have to ask.....

Everytime I have experienced what would fit the common definition of "nirvikalpa samadhi" there is no ability to function as a normal human being...."I'm" simply not there. So if nirvikalpa is our "ordinary state", then how is one supposed to function as a human being in nirvikalpa samadhi or is that just not possible and a "functioning" nirvikalpa samadhi would be termed "sahaj samadhi"?

Love,

I mean I would just look into your nirvikalpa samadhi experience check what about that is not your own awareness (without the tensions)?

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi adamant
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

I mean I would just look into your nirvikalpa samadhi experience check what about that is not your own awareness (without the tensions)?

I can only speak from my personal experiences of "nirvikalpa" based on the "definition" most common for it (meaning the wikipedia definition), but there was nothing in these experiences that was not awareness. It was pure awareness, with no knowledge of form....just pure awareness. But being in a state of pure awareness without any knowledge of form, "I" (meaning the awareness when bound to the body) did not exist, so I could not have got up and walked around doing things like washing the dishes or driving to work....if the body was up walking around, the awareness was not conscious of it (during these states of what I would call nirvikalpa). So my question is: "If nirvikalpa samadhi (as defined by wikipedia and some of you here) is "the natural, ordinary state", then how can one reside in nirvikalpa (the natural ordinary state) and still do things in "regular daily life?" In my experience that would not be possible because there would have to be an awareness of form, which to my understanding would be the definition of savikalpa samadhi (or perhaps sahaj samadhi).

Thanks for any clarification.

Love,
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  4:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by chinna
A zen master was once asked what he wanted most, and he replied 'to be an ordinary guy on the street'.

i don't know who the questioner was and why that zen master replied this. but normally an awakened one would never want to be someone else. he is fine with whatever he is... be it a king, a master, a businessman or an ordinary guy. you know that too

I am reminded of the advaitin Robert Adams, who was increasingly frequented by devotees towards the end of his life, and consented to teach as requested, but who really was happiest being left alone to walk on the beach with his dog. I took the zen master's comment to be in that vein. Sitting on a platform and wearing all that gear and behaving in the formal, mannered, way expected by students, so that they can pursue the path and get realised too, may well be irksome for one who has realised his ordinariness. St Paul expressed similar feelings about Jewish practice - he continued with it for the others who hadn't yet 'got it' and realised their freedom. Enlightenment doesn't mean being beyond ordinary feelings, including of duty and its potential irksomeness. It does mean being beyond the imagining of different destinies for oneself, I agree.

chinna

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4375 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  4:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

The issue may be confused because the term nirvikalpa samadhi is sometimes used to refer to the thoughtless state, as one literal translation of the Sanskrit is "samadhi without thought" [nir- without, vikalpa- thought]. Another literal translation of nirvikalpa samadhi is "samadhi beyond space and time" [nir-without, vi- to change, kalpa- a period of time]. A kalpa is 4.8 billion years, so in nirvikalpa samadhi, even the 4.8 billion year time cycles don't move. But from within nirvikalpa samadhi, the whole cosmos can be seen flowing into existence. It is the point from which the Isha Upanishad begins to make some sense:

quote:
It moves and It moves not. It is far and also It is near. It is within and also It is without all this. It is near to those who have the power to understand It, for It dwells in the heart of every one; but It seems far to those whose mind is covered by the clouds of sensuality and self– delusion. It is within, because It is the innermost Soul of all creatures; and It is without as the essence of the whole external universe, infilling it like the all–pervading ether.

So yes, according to the most common usage of the terms, in full nirvikalpa samadhi you would not be able to walk around or make a cup of tea. In fact, even if all the angels in heaven descended around you, you would not know that they were there. If you are in continuous samadhi, knowing yourself to be the ocean, and are making a cup of tea then that is what is normally called sahaja samadhi.

Here is a part of a question and answer session with Ramana Maharshi on the necessity of experiencing nirvikalpa samadhi in relation to knowing the Self:

quote:
Question : Is nirvikalpa samadhi absolutely necessary before the attainment of sahaja?

Ramana Maharshi : Abiding permanently in any of these samadhis, either savikalpa or nirvikalpa, is sahaja [the natural state]. What is body-consciousness? It is the insentient body plus consciousness. Both of these must lie in another consciousness which is absolute and unaffected and which remains as it always is, with or without the body-consciousness. What does it then matter whether the body-consciousness is lost or retained, provided one is holding on to that pure consciousness? Total absence of body-consciousness has the advantage of making the samadhi more intense, although it makes no difference to the knowledge of the supreme.

http://www.messagefrommasters.com/E..._Samadhi.htm

So the natural state comes when all vasanas (mental tendencies) have been eradicated through the process of purification. In that condition the natural sate (sahaja samadhi) is there, whether there is bodily (space/time) awareness (savikalpa samadhi) or not (nirvikalpa samadhi).

Christi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome.....thanks for the clarification Christi....I think I understand now.

Love,
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  02:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
Oh friend, seeking and searching, I was gradually lost. The ocean has fallen into the drop, now how can the drop be sought out?

The ocean has descended into the drop. Had it been the drop that had fallen into the ocean perhaps somehow I would have sought it out, but just the opposite has happened: it is the whole ocean that has fallen into the drop. Now even if I want to I would not know where to look for this drop. Now this drop cannot be found.

The mediums that have enabled us to know all that we have known in the world become useless in knowing what happens in the moment of samadhi. We ourselves become useless. Our very existence gets shattered. Some bigger existence, which has no limits, bursts forth on us -- suddenly. We die in the process.

Samadhi is the ultimate death, bigger than the physical death; because in the physical death only the body dies, the mind survives, whereas in samadhi the mind dies.

http://www.balbro.com/heart/beat11.htm
Adhyatma Upanishad

Master Daikaku said: Even if you don't become enlightened, when you sit once in meditation, you are a buddha for that sitting; when you sit for a day in meditation, you are a buddha for a day; when you sit in meditation all your life, you are a buddha all your life.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much for this thread! I only recently found it and the information has been very helpful, far more informative than anything I have ever read.

To me there seems to be two basic logic flows on enlightenment...

The larger group that is: just let go... and you find unity.

and

the Christi & Tibetian-Ice with: there is much more and higher levels.

This is very important to me, because I did not find myself here "searching for enlightenment". I was just living my life trying to be a decent husband, father and person. For me, it is more like being guided (or "pushed") on a path. Over the last few years, I have found a fundamental shift in myself & thinking, including massive energy bliss (even speech can have form and resonate).

I grew up Christian, but like Kirtanman, non-dual Kashmir Shavamism seems to fit as a framework for me. But, I seem to get more "spiritual aspects" out of the "spanda - vibration" works. In addition, I have found that I can manipulate the energy, but I find that I don't care about possible powers (which being a comic book fan as a kid is surprising).

With the outside force (Holy Spirit/Kundalini) guiding, I find myself more leaning towards Christi, but I wonder if it is all of us coming from a different reference/framework.

Is it possible that your perspective (and perceived goal) may be different, if you start with a K-awakening rather than a search for knowledge? How did you all get started on your search?

Thanks for any help and guidence.

Regards, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  2:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

but I wonder if it is all of us coming from a different reference/framework.

Is it possible that your perspective (and perceived goal) may be different, if you start with a K-awakening rather than a search for knowledge? How did you all get started on your search?

Thanks Jeff. They are different ways of viewing the same reality, essentially the same path and the same end. Either emphasis will lead to the realisation of the truth of the other emphasis. Hence AYP includes jnana yoga, and most jnana yogis will confirm kundalini effects (but at the same time say they are of no significance and advise against getting diverted by them).

Different points of view in the path to no point of view.

My path was always advaita/jnana, the enquiry into who/what I am or any of this IS or is for. That enquiry coincided with the explosion of life-energy which is understood in the spiritual traditions as chi/kundalini/prana/holy spirit.

Life-energy unfoldment (kundalini) and non-dual unknowing (jnana) both 'cause' and are 'caused by' each other in equal measure, and are the same no-thing/realisation of emptiness.

chinna

Edited by - chinna on Dec 20 2009 2:58:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000