Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Anusara Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends and greetings from beautiful White Rock BC....

As many of you know I am here doing a Hatha teacher training program right now....the "style" of which is mainly oriented towards Anusara Yoga. I did a search here at AYP for Anusara but it has only been mentioned a few times....for me, putting into practice the concepts of the "Universal Principles of Alignment" (which is basically what Anusara is famous for and sets it apart from other styles) has completely revolutionized my asana practice. I figured I would briefly share the main principles in hopes that others here can benefit as well from properly aligning their postures.

***NOTE*** Keep in mind that every body is different, especially in their range of motion....each individual has a different point of "compression" (bone on bone) in the hips, shoulders and neck (mainly) and that everyone's "ideal" alignment will look a little bit different.

The Universal Principles of Alignment

1. Open to Grace. Very simply this is synonymous with the AYP concept of "Active Surrender" in physical action. This physically looks like a drawing back of the shoulders (scapula) onto the back, which opens the heart, drawing the chin slightly down towards the breastplate and lengthening the neck. It is a relaxation into what Is.

2. Muscular Energy. This is basically hugging the muscles to the bones. Actively engaging the 4 corners of the feet (in every posture) to keep the legs fully active, also helping to support the knees (this is vital for me and anyone else who has knee issues). Also continuing to keep "shoulder loop" and "head loop" engaged (these are the actions described in point 1).

3. Inner Spiral. This, (and Outer Spiral) is basically what has made all the difference in my asana practice. Engaging these two actions has allowed me to safely (read: painfree) get into postures I thought I could never ever get into. Inner spiral is pulling the shins in towards the midline and pulling the inner thigh muscles back, causing an exaggerated arch in the lower back.

4. Outer Spiral. Once we have opened to grace, engaged muscular energy, pulled the shins in and the inner thighs back with inner spiral, we engage Outer Spiral. This is basically a pulling down of the tailbone....not so much that you start clenching the buttocks, but just enough to cause mulabandha and uddiyana bandha to naturally engage. This also causes all the leg muscles to firm up creating amazing stability and strength.

5. Organic Energy. This is simply the expression of Muscular Energy. Muscular energy draws energy in, Organic Energy extends it back out. This is the stretching/balancing/opening in the asana.

These principles are applicable on many levels of our existence. There are many perspectives from which to approach and analyze these principles, but I don't have the time for that today....gotta do laundry Perhaps next Sunday

Hope this finds you all Happy, Healthy and Holy.....

Love,
Carson

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great information.

Thanks for sharing and the update!
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  03:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, your in White Rock? I went to college about 30 minutes south of there in Bellingham, WA. Very cool area. If you are into hiking it is hard to beat when the weather is decent.

And thanks for the info. Glad to see that you gained a lot from your Yoga training. I'm sure you will make a very good teacher.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Steve, Machart!

quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Wow, your in White Rock? I went to college about 30 minutes south of there in Bellingham, WA. Very cool area. If you are into hiking it is hard to beat when the weather is decent.

Yup, I am here in rainy White Rock ...It was good weather for about the first week, but it has literally rained for almost 3 weeks straight now....supposedly it rains a lot in the winter here, but this I hear is absurd....Today I saw the sunrise though which was nice...hadn't seen that since I first arrived on Nov 1rst.

And yes, the hiking has been fantastic! Even with the rain

quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

And thanks for the info. Glad to see that you gained a lot from your Yoga training. I'm sure you will make a very good teacher.

Glad it was helpful info! It has revolutionized my personal practice for sure.....and I am now more then comfortable in guiding people through postures, and am confident in the sequences I have been building. Thank you for your kind words.

With Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Nov 25 2009 10:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000