Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Musings of a Non-meditator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  10:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Walk around and focus intensely on mundane visual and audio details in the present moment. Examples are wrinkles in people's clothes or a baby crying in the mall. Or the color of the toothbrush handle and the sound of the water faucet. Also the cracks in the sidewalk, or the sounds of a passing airplane. Internal body sensations also count.

Now the second part is to freely use the mind, as long as all thoughts have absolute relevence to the present moment. Examples would be "I see cracks in the sidewalk" or "I hear an airplane" or "I am driving to the grocery store"

Keep this up strictly for all waking hours for two days.

During this time, you will realize that "I" is literally a thought. You can even practice it right now. Repeat in your mind "I am looking at a computer screen", which you are. See how "I" is LITERALLY a thought. Notice that "my" and "mine" are literally thoughts. Thus how can a THOUGHT own anything? How can a THOUGHT own a plasma tv, or ipod? Saying "This ipod is mine" does not make sense. There may be an ipod in your hands, but thats about it.

On the later half of the second day, bring to mind various friends and family, and recognize how they exist in your mind as a flawed packet of memories (happy memories of childhood perhaps?) and future projections (projections into a fictitious future). When a person is standing in front of you, notice that even though their thoughts and emotions are constantly fluctuating, your thoughtform of them is relatively static. So thus realize the false nature of people-thoughtforms. By the way, this is the ultimate meaning of forgiveness, if you hold a grudge against someone.

Also on the second day, look at something valuable like diamonds and gold in a jewelry store window and then look at something not valuable. You will realize something interesting...I won't spoil the surprise though. Also imagine yourself as emperor of the world followed by imagining yourself as a poor bum on the streets.

Time, yourself, other people exist in your mind as highly flawed thoughtform packets/bundles. For example, go look at clock right now. It is just an object with two pieces of metal pointing at two different spots on a dial. There is no such thing as time.

Therefore, simply abide in the present moment (which does not really exist), letting everything inside your body (thoughts and emotions) and outside your body simply self-liberate. Let everything be. By the way, this doesn't mean you can't think and use your mind.

From a practical point of view, to first get to this state, you need to actively center yourself in the present moment VERY strongly. Once you do this, the rest magically happens without doing anything. AFTER that point you can use your mind for anything, even thinking about past and future. But it will be different.

Every thoughtform (and all of them are flawed) will produce either a) affinity or b) aversion. The key is to be centered enough in the NOW beforehand. And everyone is already perfectly centered in the NOW, you just have to acknowledge this. So this method is effortless and easy. It is already accomplished.

P.S. An emotion is the physical sensation in the physical chakras.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Nov 02 2009 2:28:57 PM

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  11:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Satipatthana Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...10.than.html

Described as the path to realization which one can realize an Arahant's level in as little as one week.

Bahiya Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...10.irel.html

The Buddha's most pithy instruction to enlightenment.

quote:
"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

So the great Teacher said. Bahiya the Bark-clad ascetic was immediately enlightened by this teaching.

As Alwayson is saying, one must, in the moment, use mindfulness to cut off the labelling. The Buddha calls these "signs." As in looking at a form and saying "beautiful," or "ugly" or ignoring it. Doing this unlinks the aggregate of consciousness in the twelve links of dependent origination. When one abandons sign-making, the next step of judging objects as "I like," "I don't like," or neutrality does not arise. Just this non-act of mindfulness destroys the hidden latent tendencies that give rise to karmic formations, which are all unsatisfactory, temporary and without a self-doer. That is why, "just this" is the end of dukkha.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Nov 02 2009 11:15:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000